PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Lee 20 lbs. bottom pour leak

RobS
11-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Well I don't know if this has been done before or not, but this is how I stopped that PIA dripping. I only had to drill a small hole in the base stand. Take a look!!!!

Should you need to disconnect the spring, it is really easy to do (takes about 2 seconds) just make sure to have a spring with an open end so you don't have to undo the wire.

A little wire and a small spring ........magic can happen. Finally I don't have a pot that is a pisser when I am trying to cast up bullets.

Rob

lead Foot
11-26-2009, 04:56 AM
Good idea for those with a gonorrhoea problem:mrgreen:
Lead foot;

lwknight
11-26-2009, 05:06 AM
How come nobody thought of this before? Just think, we were clamping small vice grips on the top LOL

Shiloh
11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
A lead donut wire on mine.

Whatever works!!

Shiloh

TAWILDCATT
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
any hardwear has springs some are long enuf to reach the handle.many items for guns can be bought.I just got a stock and the screw was nothing but a stove bolt. the old one was a hardend hex bolt.

docone31
12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
You can get springs of various lengths and configurations at hardware stores.
On my old Lee Pot, I drilled and tapped an hole directly in line of flow. I then put a threaded eye bolt in the hole, and attached the spring from the eye bolt to the handle.
My pot now, I just twist the handle while I am shutting it down.
Springs work though.

yondering
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Excellent idea. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.

I thought of a spring too, but figured the heat would kill the spring, and didn't follow through enough to figure out putting the spring down low like you did.

Gonna fix my pot tonight!

opentop
12-09-2009, 08:54 PM
AH HA! I know what I'm going to be fixing this week end!

Ozark Shiner
12-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Yep - me too. My pot is only a couple months old and it leaked from the first fill up !!

Hey Lee Research and Development. Are you reading this forum? Send the royalty payments to RobS when you add that to the "new and improved" version.

Tom308
12-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Good idea. I think I'll give it a try. I don't think it will hurt anything. A good job for this cold weather.

geargnasher
01-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Yep - me too. My pot is only a couple months old and it leaked from the first fill up !!

Hey Lee Research and Development. Are you reading this forum? Send the royalty payments to RobS when you add that to the "new and improved" version.

Yeah, and the address where Lee can ship my free Pro 4-20 "safety" upgrade kit is.....

Gear

WHITETAIL
01-01-2010, 10:38 AM
:veryconfuShiner, Welcome to the forum![smilie=w:

Recluse
01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
PERFECT!!!

I have all these springs sitting on the worktable, not even five feet from my casting table, and yet in all this time I never thought to rig something like that for the Lee furnace. . . [smilie=b:

Yep, guess where I'm headed with cordless drill in one hand and needle-nose pliers in the other?

:coffee:

TDC
01-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Once again, genius may have materialized from an inquisitive mind.... Such a simple solution suggested for such a universal problem. Going to try it on both my pots.

If this "fix" works well I predict there will also be a huge increase in Lee Production Pot sales...

Thanks, Rob!!

stubshaft
01-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Now that's thinking "outside of the box". I got so tired of fiddling with my LEE that I changed it from bottom pour to ladle by replacing the pot itself. If it leaks now I HAVE A PROBLEM!