PDA

View Full Version : How often do you trim your mag. Brass???

BOOM BOOM
11-25-2009, 11:01 PM
HI,
So now that I'm convinced to trim pistol brass(FINALLY), how often do you do it?
Yes I know it depends .
As you know I like em hot. And shoot 180's in the 357, book max. for powders listed in books. Been shooting 250's in the 44 mag. also book max w/ powders listed in books. Will be going to the 265gr. Ranch dog bullet as soon as I shoot up the already cast 250's.
I lucked out both guns like em hot.
Why some have said my none book listed powder loads were red eyed fire breathers.
I have trimmed my rifle cases for years, each time I shoot them, for the 7MM/06, 7MMmag., & 220 swift ( the only gun I own that does not like em hot). But there I am dealing with vastly higher pressures.

c.r.
11-26-2009, 12:12 AM
this is what I handle pistol brass. not saying it's right, it's just my way.

I usually size virgin brass, then trim to length. After their first firing and being sized I trim them again. Other than those trimmings, I don't know that I've had to trim brass because it exceeded the max length.

I keep all my brass in batches. meaning if i started with 50 pieces of brass, those 50 stay together and I keep track of how many times that batch has been fired. If i started with 100 pieces, then the same thing.

I usually select a random sample of 10% of the batch of brass I'm going to reload. I like to keep them close to the minimum length. If i see any one/two piece in my sample past my max length, i will selet a larger sample to test. and make my decision to trim/not trim the batch using the combined two sample. If more than let's say 3 or 4 of the first sample exceed my idea length (depends on my sample size), then i just decide to trim the entire batch.

Also, if I see a variance between lengths in my sample that i think is excessive, then I'll trim the entire batch. Usually if I see an unacceptable variance in the 10% sample, i'll always pull a larger sample and look to see if that variance continues/.

I believe the number one reason to trim brass (after the first two trimmings) is to maintain a uniform length resulting in a consistent crimp. It's just one less variable that I have to worry about.

I use the lee trimmer doo-hickeys and an electric screw driver. This is my least favorite part of reloading. but I don't have to do it very often. the Lee trimmer will trim to the same length each time, i don't have to worry about sitting up my trimmer and have a slight difference.

This might be over-kill, but it's the way I like to reload. Maybe somewhere in there, you'll find something helpful.

~c.r.

HeavyMetal
11-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I agree with c.r.

I try to keep brass in batchs but as I pick up range brass from time to time I usually wind up with a bunch that I set down and trim every once in a while.

I also use the Lee "do hicky" with the collet driver in a cordless 24 volt drill. Again I agree with consistant length for both crimp and boolit pull.

I have found to trim all brass of a specific caliber I have to "dress down" the tip of the Lee pin to make sure even the short ones meet my criteria! This usually means my cases are .010 to .015 shorter than specified trim length but having everything the same length is easier than trying to manage 40 different batchs of the same caliber brass!

Trimming is not high on my favorite things list but it does need to be done and , usually, once done the first time I get a lot of reloads per case before crimps start getting all over the place which is when I start trimming that batch of brass.

Fastest trimmer System I've found is the Lee with the collet chuck and a cordless drill.

Get the trimmer with the big wooden ball on the end your hands will thank you!

Bullshop Junior
11-26-2009, 01:46 AM
357s I have to trim every time I fire them out of my Marlin 1894c. With HOT 45 Colt I trim every time, but with lighter loads I dont have to trim as much. Every 3-4 shots.
I check them with a caliper every time I shoot them, and if the one I check is long I set up, and trim them all.

DevilDog83
11-26-2009, 09:03 AM
I've never trimmed any brass for a pistol or revolver, until I started my new project, the .41 SS. I've taken some of my .41 Mag brass and trimmed it down to just below 38/44 special length to start some load developement for MINOR power factor loads. Off to the range in just a short while to start chrono and accuracy tests, and I'll be keeping a very good record of the brass. I'll post my results for anyone interested.

runfiverun
11-26-2009, 01:26 PM
i watch the crimps,you'll see when it needs trimming.
but my dies are left set up in the tool head so it's easy for me to monitor this way.

Bucks Owin
11-26-2009, 01:56 PM
How often? Whenever needed. Then I trim .010" under SAAMI length, even with new brass. Don't see any other way to get perfectly consistent crimps. How can one get consistent crimps with cases of varying lengths?!? (Gee, I thought everyone interested in making their handgun ammo as accurate as possible eliminated that variable :o).....Dennis

BOOM BOOM
11-27-2009, 07:49 PM
HI,
As I said I do trim rifle brass every time, have for many years.
But the big pressure difference between rife vs. pistol had lulled me into thinking it was an unnecessary step.
THAT MISTAKE HAS BEEN CLEARER UP FOR ME.:bigsmyl2:
Thanks to the better shooters on this board.
Was hoping that they would give me they're advice.

BOOM BOOM
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
HI,
99% of my pistol brass has been shot several times.
Enough that I can rarely shoot 200 without having 1 or more split.
So as of this year I will trim them all except for a small percent kept loaded with j-bullets for self defence & hunting.
Was hoping for a bit more imput on this issue, so I could develope a routine.

Mike'em
12-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I have three jars, shinny trimmed 44 brass on the right, trimmed and slightly used looking in the middle (even though it has been cleaned) and the ones you just cant throw away just incase you run out of 44 special brass on the left. I seperate each and donate to the correct jar. In a test with full power loads i reloaded 12 hulls 26 times before spliting started.

BOOM BOOM
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
HI
Have about 200 more 44's to shoot. before I start the marithon trimming proscess.
It is getting to cold for me to shoot here in blackfoot, -7 dgrees & in places -13 degrees this A.M.
Guess i'm getting old.

Char-Gar
12-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't plink with magnum handguns. When I pull the trigger on a magnum load it is serious business and I want the finest accuracy possible.

Every time, I run the cases into a file trim die and swipe the top with a double cut file. Most often there is a little something sticking up that can be taken off. It is usually not uniform, but on one side or the other. This triming produced a square mouth for a good uniform crimp. Something I consider important.

If you use an RCBS file trim die, you will size the case in the process. If you use a Redding you won't.

BOOM BOOM
12-24-2009, 11:34 PM
HI
Well yesterday & today I trimmed 1,100 WW 357 brass.
Bought a new Forester power case trimmer that attaches to a drill press to do the trimming with.
Worked fine yesterday for 5-600 cases.
But today started to have trouble as the collet fingers would not spring back to open to receive a new case head.
So tapped on side of fixture with a pear of pliers & it seemed to work ok for a short time. Then had to tap on side & bottom that worked for a short while, then had to tap side bottom & into mouth of collet to get it to work.
Have taken it apart & reassembled it & it worked for a few cases but now some cases will not fit, and some cases seem to be toosmall to be gripped at all by collet.
AS THESE WERE ALL WW CASES I CAN NOT BELIEVE THERE COULD BE THAT MUCH VARIATION IN CASE?RIM SIZE.
CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A QUICK FIX????????
I HAVE ABOUT 4,000 MORE 357 CASES TO DO:groner::groner:

BOOM BOOM
12-26-2009, 12:57 AM
HI,
Took the trimmer apart & carefully cleaned each part, lubed, & reassembled.
Works fine now ,did about 1,000 federal 357 cases today.
Boy this is a lot better than my Hand crank forester trimmer.[smilie=w:

Shiloh
12-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I sort of feel left out. I don't trim straight wall brass anymore.

Shiloh

BOOM BOOM
12-26-2009, 10:49 PM
HI,
Well you definitely have too with rifle brass Shiloh.
If you are getting wrinkles in brass like 444 marlin better do it.
I started shooting in the late 1960's & this is the 1st year I am doing it for pistol brass.

BIG GUN
12-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I never trim straight wall pistol brass. You begin to run into neck splits before they need trimming.

Rico1950
12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
If you use an RCBS file trim die, you will size the case in the process. If you use a Redding you won't.
Actually it's the other way around.

Rico1950
12-28-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't plink with magnum handguns. When I pull the trigger on a magnum load it is serious business and I want the finest accuracy possible.

Every time, I run the cases into a file trim die and swipe the top with a double cut file. Most often there is a little something sticking up that can be taken off. It is usually not uniform, but on one side or the other. This triming produced a square mouth for a good uniform crimp. Something I consider important.

Actually it's the other way around.

BOOM BOOM
12-29-2009, 02:34 AM
HI,
I plink with everything, very seriously , every chance I get.
I also don't shoot many mild loads, except for fire forming cases.
Come to think of it I've seen 30-30 cases wrinkle due to not trimming soon enough.
Sat. trimmed 8-900 357 cases finished all my federal brass, & my DWM/SPEER/CCI brass.

BOOM BOOM
12-31-2009, 01:52 PM
HI,
SO NOW THAT I'M DONE TRIMMING,[smilie=w:
I PLAN TO CAMPHOR THE INSIDE OF THE CASE MOUTHS.
Can chuck my C-H rocket style camphor tool in chuck & do the inside case mouth.[smilie=w:

DO YOU THINK I COULD PUT A WOOD BORING DRILL BIT IN CHUCK & DO THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE MOUTHS??????????????????????

c.r.
12-31-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure which methoed you chose to trim your cases to length, but............

i always chamfer/deburr the inside & outside of my case mouths while i still have it chucked up from trimming to length.

for example, chuck up the case, trim to length, grab my deburrer, do the inside and outside, then un-chuck the case and throw it in the bucket. I just use one of the little rcbs thing a ma bobs

the act of chucking the case takes a relative bit of time, so while i have it in there, i like to do everything at once.

Sorry, but i'm not quite following you on the "rocket style chamfer tool" and the "wood boring drill bit" part. Can you elaborate a bit more?

~c.r.

Papa smurf
12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Trim rifle----every time , revolver straight case---never.

BOOM BOOM
12-31-2009, 11:05 PM
HI,
By a wood boring drill bit , I mean the flat type used to drill 1/2 -1" holes.
Not the regular round metal drill bits.
By the rocket type of inside/outside camphoring tool like rcbs makes, about 2' long, pointed on 1 end to do inside case mouth, & the other end does outside but looks about like a rocket 's fins.

crabo
01-01-2010, 02:56 AM
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5475/Case-Mouth-Chamfering

Sinclair makes a holder for the chamfer tool so you can chuck it up.

BOOM BOOM
01-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the sinclair tool,just what i needed!
Bought 1 today!

Bucks Owin
01-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Trim rifle----every time , revolver straight case---never. Hmmm. Does your rifle have excess headspace?!? :lol: Dennis (And if the rifle is for instance a .45/70 "straight case", why bother! :shock: )

Dave C.
01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I never trim my 45 ACP brass as new cases are shorter than the trim-to length listed and they only get shorter with age!

Gee_Wizz01
01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Hmmm. Does your rifle have excess headspace?!? :lol: Dennis (And if the rifle is for instance a .45/70 "straight case", why bother! :shock: )

I trim my 45-70 and .44 Mag rifle brass after using hot loads in my Marlin and Rossi rifles as they do grow! I like to have consistent case length for crimping. Using light loads is no problem, but when I push near max loads the cases start growing. I

G

felix
01-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't trim unless the variation is wild, such as not within the crimp groove area. I go strictly by seating FEEL, and crimp just enough to put the edges of the case pointing inwards into the groove by FEEL. If no groove on a boolit I still crimp by FEEL also. Did I mention I do everything by FEEL? Any round that does not feel the same gets thrown into another pile. Same with sizing anything, boolits, cases, including seating, and then whatever. ... felix