PDA

View Full Version : 22 Caliber Mould

Gohon
11-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Is there anyone that makes a 22 caliber mould in the 40 to 45 grain range other than Lyman? I bought the Lyman 225438 which is 44 grains. Drops beautiful boolets but gas checks simply will not go on. Tried tapping them in place before running them through the sizer but they won't go on properly and end up deformed and crooked. Sent the mould back to Lyman and they sent me a new mould. It does the same thing. Tried annealing the gas checks but that didn't help. I guess it is possible the checks which are Hornady are undersized. Anyone ever gotten a batch of bad gas checks that were undersized?

Bullshop
11-25-2009, 09:54 PM
NEI # 1 and #2

BCall
11-25-2009, 11:26 PM
What do the base of your boolits mic at? What sizer are you using? BRP makes a very nice mold as well, I just got a couple of days ago, but have not got to cast any with it yet. Billy

mroliver77
11-25-2009, 11:35 PM
I make a punch with a ball or tapered end and use this to open checks up to fit a couple tight molds. It is a pain but works well. I also have a gas check seater for the lyman 450 and a home made seater for an old ideal sizer. This does help.
Jay

Gohon
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Just took some measurements and the shanks are 0.218 and the inside diameter of the checks are o.214 which is the max shank size according to LASC.US. I can see right now I'll never get these things to fit. I guess I got two choices, open the mould up and make it a plain base or send it back to Lyman again. Probable a waste of time sending it to Lyman.

Mk42gunner
11-26-2009, 01:44 AM
You might try using 6mm gas checks. This is not my idea, there is an article on Castpics where the author suggested this for oversized gas check shanks.

Robert

stephen perry
11-26-2009, 01:26 PM
I bought my mold for the reason of not using GC. Use lino and White Label Carnauba Red lube and never look back.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Gohon
11-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Well I pretty much got the thing working now. Not a 100% like I want but still usable. Took the mould apart and first thing I found was a burr on one of the holes where the alignment pin seats. To correct that I simply beveled both holes where the alignment pins enter the block. Then I discovered both alignment pins were not seated far enough into the blocks, needed to go in just a tad more. While I had the blocks apart I lapped both blocks using 400 grit wet type sand paper laid on a flat surface. All this brought the shanks down to .214 on one and .215 on the other and still dropping at .225 overall. Think I'm gonna stop right there before I mess everything up. This is the only Lyman mould I own, the others being RCBS and Lee so I don't want to bad rap Lyman, but since it was a problem on two straight moulds it will make me hesitate to purchase another Lyman.

Crash_Corrigan
11-26-2009, 04:01 PM
The more recent Lyman mold products have gone into the crapper mostly. I do not know what happened to their QC department. I guess they are so busy recently that they could care less.

JIMinPHX
11-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I make a punch with a ball or tapered end and use this to open checks up to fit a couple tight molds.

That's what I was thinking too.

357maximum
11-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Is there anyone that makes a 22 caliber mould in the 40 to 45 grain range other than Lyman? ?

Contact BRP moulds (BaBore) he makes what you seek.