PDA

View Full Version : Bullet puller.......which one will work?

Spokerider
11-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Have some .357 loads I need to take apart, as they are too hot to shoot from my gun. I put these rounds together with a Lee Factory Roll Crimp die, and they are FIRMLY crimped....... So much so, that the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks.

Will another method / puller work? Like what.......?

claybird
11-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Been there. gave up and found deep water in a close by lake.

1hole
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
"the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks."

Whack harder?

We have three types of pullers; collet, inertia and a snug fitting washer type thing made by Forster that fits into a press. Only the inertia puller works with most hand gun ammo.

Well, you CAN use large wire cutters to pull the bullets. Put the rounds on the press ram with no die installed. Stick the bullets above the press top and grasp them with the cutters. Drop the ram to withdraw and then toss the bullets.

Recluse
11-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Once I learned how to use it properly (which came from reading the instructions AND ensuring I had all of the necessary parts :oops:), I wouldn't trade my Hornady bullet puller for anything.

:coffee:

Wayne S
11-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Quick question, which is more important to save, the brass or the bullet ??
if you say BRASS, then the really cheap way would be to put the rounds in your press, run them up, put a 3/8 x 2" washer [this is an option] over the bullet, then grab the bullet with a pair of vice grips and lower the press ram.
IF the bullets are cast, you will probably leave the gas check, you can either fire these to remove the GC.
PM SENT

corvette8n
11-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I've pulled military ammo that has bullets sealed,glued with something by first pushing the in the bullet using a 2x4 and then using the whack puller. You need to make sure you are hitting the whacker square, I hit mine on a cement floor.

Spokerider
11-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys.
The brass is more valuable.......finding .357 mag brass is very tough right now in Canada.
I'll prolly have to resort to the press / visegrip method.

rambo1937
11-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Have some .357 loads I need to take apart, as they are too hot to shoot from my gun. I put these rounds together with a Lee Factory Roll Crimp die, and they are FIRMLY crimped....... So much so, that the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks.

If they are to hot for your gun..........Be a nice guy and offer to zero your best friends gun for him.....He will save on ammo and have his gun proof tested for free...... Best to you on recovering your brass...........Jim

mooman76
11-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I use a block of lead to wack mine on. It works better than wood because it is more solid yet soft enough to have a little give.

deltaenterprizes
11-26-2009, 11:01 AM
With an inertia type puller you need to let your wrist realax and allow the puller to whip in the opposite direction once you make contact with the material you are hitting it on, don't just hit it and forget it! Lead or the end grain of wood is a great material that will give a little.

mooman76
11-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I forgot to mention. One good hard wack will do what a hundred little wacks won't.

Shiloh
11-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I've pulled stubborn boolits with an inertia type puller. Smack hard!! If needed add a slug or two to the inside of the puller.

The wire cutter method works also.

I had about 1100 hot 9mm once. Started with the kinetic to give the Hornady collet puller something to grab. Did this one winter several years back. Salvaged lead, powder, primed brass. Spread it out over several months. Wouldn't want to do it again though.

SHiloh

mdi
11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
"the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks."

Whack harder?

We have three types of pullers; collet, inertia and a snug fitting washer type thing made by Forster that fits into a press. Only the inertia puller works with most hand gun ammo.

Well, you CAN use large wire cutters to pull the bullets. Put the rounds on the press ram with no die installed. Stick the bullets above the press top and grasp them with the cutters. Drop the ram to withdraw and then toss the bullets.

I have used this method with vice grips. Ruins the boolit, but saves the brass and powder.

phaessler
11-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I found an old RCBS collet puller, wont trade it for anything, tight enough it does ruin a cast boolit, but it yank em' out even from a Redding crimp die crimp. Then again, what is life without vise-grips.....

Pete

wallenba
11-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Quick question, which is more important to save, the brass or the bullet ??
if you say BRASS, then the really cheap way would be to put the rounds in your press, run them up, put a 3/8 x 2" washer [this is an option] over the bullet, then grab the bullet with a pair of vice grips and lower the press ram.
IF the bullets are cast, you will probably leave the gas check, you can either fire these to remove the GC.
PM SENT

The gas check can be removed if you carefully flatten the case mouth a little.

38 Super Auto
11-26-2009, 01:54 PM
So much so, that the inertia-type bullet puller won't begin to budge the bullets outta tha cases after 25 whacks.

One thing an inertial puller needs is a firm, that is unmovable surface, upon which to be thrashed.

I had a similar problem using my bench: when I started beating the puller on the concrete floor, it was magical.

Two whacks for even the most heavily crimped bullet works for me all the time.

Happy Thanksgiving.

:coffeecom

mike in co
11-26-2009, 02:08 PM

what are you striking the puller on ?...hit a hard solid surface. i use basement floor...cement, when the workbench top is not enough.

how lite of a bullet/boolit is in the case ?

mike in co

Le Loup Solitaire
11-26-2009, 02:31 PM
If you have only a few rounds to do and don't want to invest in a puller here is a way to get things disassembled without damaging the brass or the bullets. Take two pieces of steel or iron...bar stock or plate an inch or so wide, 1/4" or 3/8" thick, and any length, the measurements are not really important. Lock one in a vise, put the bullet neck on it and place the second piece on top..also on the neck area and roll it and the round back and forth a few times under downward pressure. After several rolls the neck will become lose and you can pull the bullet out with your fingers. LLS

1hole
11-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Le Loup, that is a great idea for pullng cast handgun bullets!

canyon-ghost
11-26-2009, 06:58 PM
:coffee: I did some nines with new brass, found out too late that I went a little high for the tiny case, bullets seated deep causing pressure. Got tired of trying to whack 'em out, and came over here for an answer (I'm from CBA). Here's the set up, all that you do special is to clean the lead shavings out of the press threads with light oil.

Bullshop Junior
11-26-2009, 07:36 PM
A set of Cable crimpers work very well. Thats what I use.

largom
11-26-2009, 08:26 PM
If you have only a few rounds to do and don't want to invest in a puller here is a way to get things disassembled without damaging the brass or the bullets. Take two pieces of steel or iron...bar stock or plate an inch or so wide, 1/4" or 3/8" thick, and any length, the measurements are not really important. Lock one in a vise, put the bullet neck on it and place the second piece on top..also on the neck area and roll it and the round back and forth a few times under downward pressure. After several rolls the neck will become lose and you can pull the bullet out with your fingers. LLS

I LIKE IT!

Larry

geargnasher
11-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Same principle one uses to remove a Stemco grease seal from the spindle of a heavy truck, tap them gently with a dull chisle to expand them enough to pop off.

Me personally, I recommend the RCBS inertial puller. If your boolit/bullet is valuble, load the end with cotton balls to cushion it when it pops out.

For glued/sealed military cartridges, I've found that putting them in the reloading press and seating the bullets a bit deeper against a 7/8"X14 bolt screwed in as a blank die breaks this seal and makes inertial pulling easier.

Haven't seen one yet that the RCBS "hammer" won't undo. If you DO manage to hit it hard enough to break it (not likely) I'm sure they will take care of you.

Gear

Bullshop Junior
11-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Haven't seen one yet that the RCBS "hammer" won't undo. If you DO manage to hit it hard enough to break it (not likely) I'm sure they will take care of you.

Gear

We broke one and it EXPLODED!!
Not somthing to try at home!:twisted:

abunaitoo
11-29-2009, 05:29 AM
RCBS hammer bullet puller is a lifetime warrenty item.
I've broken two.
Returned them to RCBS and they replaced them for free.

7of7
11-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Find someone with a Desert Eagle, and let them shoot them... DE's like hot... I have taken apart some roll crimped with my collet puller... It isn't too good on the lead cast bullets however..

tonyb
11-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Whacking a loaded round just makes my butt pucker.

Bad Water Bill
11-29-2009, 08:56 PM
When using the hammer be very sure the cap is down TIGHT or it will split.:killingpc Don't ask me how I know.

mike in co
11-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Whacking a loaded round just makes my butt pucker.

its an inertia puller...no one is wacking the primer.

mike in co