PDA

View Full Version : Six bucks and some fun with nail polish...

Angus
11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I, for reasons I can't really get my head around myself, just hate notch and post type iron sights. I figured I might like express type sights better on my Blackhawk in 41 mag, but low and behold, no bead front sights to go with the Ruger factory v-notch rear blade. I shelfed the idea for a couple weeks, then manne dup and bought the rear sight, figuring I would get over the hurdle of not having anything factory-available...

I initially cut off a brass finish nail and epoxied it on. It worked REALLY well, until on shot number 7 I noticed my sight picture was different.

I tried just painting the front blade, but centering it in the shallow V is difficult.

Then I tried epoxying on a fiber-optic rod. It looked sweet, but as I slid it into my holster the next day, the epoxy let go of the smooth plastic rod.

Frustrated, I went out and shot my first whitetail, ever. It was with a condom-clad bullet, but a dead dear nonetheless.

Upon my return I looked at my sexy pistol and said to myself "self, the next deer you kill has to die to a 220 grain Keith." So I buckled down and thought about a fix to my dilemma that involved nothing but nail polish. I put two different zones of color on my blade to denote elevation. This looked good, but it did nothing to help center my front blade in the V. So I grabbed some masking tape and oh-so-very carefully taped off a thin stripe down the center of the blade and painted it black...

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/DeathPenalty23/DSC_0198.jpg

Here is where I think I'll stay for awhile. It lines up a lot faster for me than the notch and post sight. The red zone could theoretically be used for longer shots, but I have no idea where it falls. It's main purpose is to drop the front blade just past the red for a "green light." The stripe lines up quickly with the rear stripe.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/DeathPenalty23/DSC_0199.jpg
Correct Sight Picture

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/DeathPenalty23/DSC_0200.jpg
Incorrect Sight Picture/Long Distance Shot (requires experimentation)

SO this system can't fly off, and cant fall victim to my $7 Uncle Mike's holster. It should be utterly bulletproof to anything but acetone. If it starts looking ratty, 20 minutes with some acetone and new paint and it's good as new. What do you guys think?

Snapping Twig
11-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Excellent solution!

I replaced all the front inserts in my S&W's with flourescent green and it's easiest for me to see.

Your solution reminds me of EK's gold bar sights. If I ever get a fine bisley made, that's the front sight I'll have them install.

bigboredad
11-25-2009, 11:38 PM
don't worry about the nail polish getting dull or looking ratty anytime soon I painted my single six 20 years ago and it still looks great

jameslovesjammie
11-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Confessed sight painter here too. Painted my S&W 422 back in '96 with "Wet & Wild" brand fluorescent orange nail polish.

Bret4207
11-26-2009, 08:40 AM
You gots to use what works for you. I can't see for nuthin anymore, but for some weird reason a Mauser inverted "V" front sight is easier for me to see than a square post. If it works, don;t fix it. Just be happy and proud of your "fix".

MT Gianni
11-26-2009, 12:39 PM
My redhawks flo-red front sight was the first to come off and go back to black. Elmer liked gold cross lines to determine sight holdover but i have not played with them much. Get a color that works for you.

Shiloh
11-26-2009, 01:17 PM
On a 10/22 I soldered a 14 k gold bead on the front of the sight. Shows up nicely. Brass would work just as well.

SHiloh

arcticbreeze
11-26-2009, 01:38 PM
When I clicked on the title of this thread I kind of expected to see 6 bucks lined up in the back of a pick up truck with a 10 yr old daughter painting there hoofs.

:redneck:

wallenba
11-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I tried that paint kit for gun sights that Midway sells...don't waste your money. Best I've done is to clean the sight well with alcohol, roll on some automotive gray primer with a round toothpick, let dry. Then roll on some flat white latex housepaint. When that is dry mark carefully with a permanent marker, red or black. Needs touching up occasionally.

Bucks Owin
11-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I, for reasons I can't really get my head around myself, just hate notch and post type iron sights. I figured I might like express type sights better on my Blackhawk in 41 mag, but low and behold, no bead front sights to go with the Ruger factory v-notch rear blade.

Actually, I think the bead front sight from a .22 Hunter "may" have worked. That said, looks like you have found an alternative to your Patridge sights.....Dennis

leftiye
11-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I usewhite appliamce touch up paint. For 25 years now. Put on your reading glasses and scratch a line/groove up the middle of your front sight, and blacken it with black fine line flow pen (indelible - thas diffrunt frum inedible).

wellfedirishman
11-29-2009, 01:49 AM
I have the same problem, I cannot see black post against black sights.

Solution is simple and cheap.

Go to Walmart and get the cheapest crappiest $2 Hannah Montana nail polish you can find, in bright red/orange, white, and green.

Paint the front red or orange, and then put a layer of white on the rear signt, and when it dries, then the green.

I do this on all my guns and I can see them perfectly, even in dark indoor ranges.

You might get some funny looks buying this stuff at Walmart ,and it is wise to explain to your wife first what they are intended for... :bigsmyl2: