PDA

View Full Version : big 5 sale

mike in co
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
530 to 4 pm friday

mn91/30's $89....99 after 4
m1 garands $599...699 after 4

now i need someone to check...but i think these are not usgi m1's but builds on a cast aftermarket reciver......

someone post if they know....

this is a good way to buy a 91/30...show up early, rags, cleanning rod, lite. look for matching numbers if possible, no counter bore, and strong lands......
lite bore rust will clean up with naval jelly and a ss brush...but deep pitting maybe an issue.

i have purchased a couple of rifles from big 5 this way.

its only 10 bucks more than online and you get to look at the rifle.

consider going in today..and offer to clean rifles for them...for first pick.

mike in co

dualsport
11-28-2009, 05:05 AM
I let myself get bit by a new bug, bought two of the Big 5 MNs today. They looked pretty good to me, nice solid guns with a full goody bag of accessories thrown in, including bayonet, sling, ammo belt, ammo pouch, dbl. oiler and whatnot They let me choose from three. These guns are definitely refurbs, and pretty darn clean. The bores looked good, nice strong rifling but a tad dark, no pits or rust at all. One's a 1931 and the other 1942, both Ishevesk(sp?). I already have a 91/30 that I recently decided to bust out, it's original finish. I think I like the original finish better, the refurbs are more of a matte than a polish. Didn't handle the Garand but saw it in the rack. It was ugly, bare metal and bleached looking wood, but for all I know they may be shooters, I can't say. Now that I have three 91/30s I need to get dies and brass. Anybody find brass available yet? My guns have to work for a living, I want to try some kind of competition with cast bullets in the 7.62X54R, maybe milsurp silhouette.

Three44s
11-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I took a chance on five Mosins over time at Big 5 ....... but did not have the cleaning paraphenalia ...........

Took the leap and figured I could re-sell any turkeys after the prices edged up ..........

.......... but ended up with five shooters.

Three 44s