PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Camp Stove

Boondocker
11-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I was just given a this stove and they say it runs on gas. I have seen alot of post with guys using these. I have seen coleman fuel and some use gasoline. When I was a kid pumping gas folks use to come in for the lead free Amoco hightest ( white gas). What do you use now as all gas is lead free. Thanks Boon

Storydude
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Whatever Gasoline I have on hand.

Premix kinda eats the generators and makes them hard to get going, old gas burns funny.

I've been using that for 20 years and no ill effects yet...but then again, my newest Coleman stove was from the mid 60's too.

higgins
11-25-2009, 06:17 PM
If I were going to burn the tank empty soon after I bought the gas, I might use gasoline, but I tend to keep stove and lantern gas on hand for a few (or several)years before I use it up. Since gas now seems to go bad so soon for other uses, with all the additives in use today I'd rather buy the Coleman fuel since it seems to have a much longer shelf life. If you really need the stove or lantern for emergencies like when the power is off for a while, I feel better with Coleman fuel in the tanks. Back when I was in Boy Scouts in the 60s we used Amoco white gas, but the gas was pure and it didn't stay in the troop gas can long enough to go bad.

lwknight
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Seems like all the gasoline that I get lately collects water.
I cant keep gasoline more than a few weeks and I never pour the last bit.
I don't know if there is even gasoline that does not have some ethynol in it.

Gerry N.
11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Coleman stoves run best on Petroleum Naptha. It used to be sold as "White Gasoline" and is now most commonly sold as "Camp Fuel" "Coleman Fuel" or at WalMart as "Ozark Trail" some Coleman stoves are advertised as "Dual Fuel" and will work on automotive fuel, but keep in mind the additives in it aren't all that healthful. Most Coleman and Coleman type appliances do not do well with automotive fuel as it fouls the generator.

Automotive gasolines sold nationwide now contain ethanol (grain alcohol) in concentrations sometimes exceeding 12%. Unless stored in airtight containers it will absorb an amazing amount of water.

My suggestion is to burn only Coleman or other Camp Fuels in your camp stoves. You'll be glad you did.

Gerry N.

jcwit
11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
If your Colemen stove says Dual Fuel on it, Colemen fuel, std. automobile gasoline, or white gas can be used. Actually " white gas is nothing more than naptha, which is the same as Colemen fuel or lighter fluid for that matter. Here in No. Indiana Amish country one can purchase "white gas"/naptha from the pump just like gasoline.

The Amoco, Standard Brand gas stations sold a high test fuel they called white gas, but in fact it was a higher octane gasoline.

Another reason for the older Colemen stoves said to only use the Colemen fuel was the gasolines of that day contained a lead additive. Not good when burning in an enclosed area, today that problem no longer exits.

Hope this helps
jcwit

Gerry, you got in there while Iwas typing. haha

LarryM
11-29-2009, 12:22 AM
I picked up a propane adapter for my old Coleman and hooked it up to a 20# tank.

Boondocker
11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the replies men, I tried it with a little gasoline to see if it works. It runs like a charm, I had to give the pump a little squirt on motor oil to swell up the plunger. I boiled some molds out as to not po the queen in her kitchen, I beleive the thing will come in quite handy for camping and family picnics. Again thanks for all the advice. Boon:bigsmyl2:

Storydude
11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Seems like all the gasoline that I get lately collects water.
I cant keep gasoline more than a few weeks and I never pour the last bit.
I don't know if there is even gasoline that does not have some ethynol in it.

I keep all my fuels in NATO Jerry Cans. The o-ring and Cam-lock seal keeps air out and vapors in.

I've kept fuel for over 8 months in those and never had a problem with collecting water, or losing volitiles.

Shiloh
11-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Coleman stoves run best on Petroleum Naptha. It used to be sold as "White Gasoline" and is now most commonly sold as "Camp Fuel" "Coleman Fuel" or at WalMart as "Ozark Trail"

Most Coleman and Coleman type appliances do not do well with automotive fuel as it fouls the generator.

Automotive gasolines sold nationwide now contain ethanol (grain alcohol) in concentrations sometimes exceeding 12%. Unless stored in airtight containers it will absorb an amazing amount of water.

My suggestion is to burn only Coleman or other Camp Fuels in your camp stoves. You'll be glad you did.

Gerry N.

Unless you can get bulk white gas. Haven't seen it at the pump in decades.

I should really pick up anothe gallon or two. It has gotten spendy!!

SHiloh