PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Springfield?

tcrocker
11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I seen a 1903 Springfield on another sight for 250. The bad news is it's been sporterized. Would it be worth getting it and getting a new stock and sights.

Bob S
11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
For $250, it it's got a good bore, it's well worth it to just shoot it as it is.

Cost to restore to military configuration depends on how much is been chopped, reblued and sanded. Probably at least several hundred dollars, given today's prices for parts.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Hip's Ax
11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I would depend on how sporterized it is BUT it is generally cheaper to buy an unmessed with 03 than trying to restore one that has been sporterized.

Most will have had the barrel shortened and the original sights removed along with the bolt handle being bent and don't forget scope holes drilled in the receiver. An original 03 barrel is hard to come by without a rifle attached to it. The sights are rather expensive as well.

I have a sporter 03 high number Rock Island that I bought in the late 70's and I looked into restoring it 10 years ago and it would have cost far more than just buying another original 03 which is what I did.

How sporterized is the 03? Are you sure its an 03 or is it perhaps an 03A3?

tcrocker
11-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Here is what he wroke. The stock has been cute and carved on.
Springfield Armory Model 1903 – Sporterized, .30-06, 24" barrel

Serial Number 6254XX - 1916 production

Looks to have been reblued when sporterized. Not a terrible job.
Front sight is a barrel band type. Rear is a Lyman Peep.
Kind of a crude job, but the wood has a pretty nice grain (Walnut?). Looks like a home made pistol grip cap and buttplate (both aluminum.)
Some sort of “floral” type carving on the fore end. Looks like it could be sanded off.
Would make a fun project or plinker for the handloader.

Hip's Ax
11-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Springfield 03's below serial number 800,000 are called "Low Number 03's" and are considered by most to be unsafe to fire. Some will argue this point but I'm not one of them. I would pass on it.

oldhickory
11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I agree with all the above, and being a low sr# it wouldn't be a good choice for a shooter even in military condition. Having a receiver sight on it means it's been drilled and tapped also, it's pretty much unrestorable. I would avoid it and wait for a good one.

Storydude
11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Springfield 03's below serial number 800,000 are called "Low Number 03's" and are considered by most to be unsafe to fire. Some will argue this point but I'm not one of them. I would pass on it.

Not so much as they are "unsafe" to fire over a "high number" 03, but more of the WAY they fail. A "Low number" 03 tends to fracture in a million razor sharp hunks of shrapnel when they let go due to the brittle receiver. a "high number" 03 will usually NOT grenade into a billion razor sharp hunks when subjected to an overload.

tcrocker
11-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks I do belive I'll pass on this one.