PDA

View Full Version : Soy bullet lube?

brayhaven
05-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I was wondering if any of you have tried using soy wax in place of beeswax, parafin etc in bullet lube? It's very low ash & smoke and very slick stuff. It comes in bead form and is pretty reasonable from the candle making suppliers. It's softer than either wax. I think the melting point is also a little lower. I'm new to lubing my own bullets, but have been using it in my ML patch (target & hunting) formulas with great results. Mule milk & mule butter :o) Also use it plain (in place of my old parafin/mineral oil mix) for lubing fiber shotgun wads for brass 16 & 20 ga. cases.
Greg

Springfield
05-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I have tried the Soy wax. It is much too soft to replace beeswax, at least when used in a a sizer. It is also more brittle, a stick of it breaks whereas a stick of beeswax bends first. I have found that a small percentage of soy in my beeswax/lanolin/crisco mix makes the sticks slide out of the PVC moulds easier. Other than that I was unimpressed with it.

John Boy
05-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Greg, here are some soywax recipes. I have used all with good results

By Weight,
One part wax toilet bowl ring
One part store brand shortning
One part Soy Wax
It's called "Dick Dastardlys' Pearl Lube"

Modified Mathews Lube
50% Soy wax
25% Lanolin
25% Pure Neatsfoot oil.
Tis a bit on the hard side and can be pan lubed

Currently using this formula:
50% Soy wax
25% Lanolin
20% Pure Neatsfoot oil.
05% Jojoba Oil
Then add 1/2 stick of Thompon's PS BP Lube

brayhaven
05-15-2006, 08:04 AM
John says, "Currently using this formula:
50% Soy wax
25% Lanolin
20% Pure Neatsfoot oil.
05% Jojoba Oil
Then add 1/2 stick of Thompon's PS BP Lube"

Thanks John,
I was thinking it should be a good ingredient since it works so well in my ML formulae. Are your recipes patented :o)? What happens when you omit the Thompson's ? What kind of bullet hardness & velocities are you using with it? I'd like to come up with a pan lubing formula using Jojoba & Soy for 30 cal bullets for a Rug #1 30-30 I'm building. Don't have aluber/sizer. Just a lee sizer. I live in FL so would like to get a pretty high melting point. I also use palm oil in some of my ML lubes. I think jojoba has some great lubricating & rust preventive properies. Any thoughts on a starting point for a lube like I need??
Greg

Abert Rim
05-15-2006, 12:28 PM
I personally prefer not to use soy products, as the land used to grow soy could support grazing cattle.

Leftoverdj
05-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Here's a sort of dream list for possible lube ingredients. www.thesage.com

Me, I've pretty much quit tinkering with lubes. There doesn't seem to be much chance of improving on FWFL.

John Boy
05-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Haven, sure a lot of Q's
Anyway:
Are your recipes patented ... No

What happens when you omit the Thompson's ? ... The lube is softer

What kind of bullet hardness & velocities are you using with it? ... Bhn 9 to 14 and 745 (45 Colt), plus 38-55 and 45-70; up to 1240 fps ... all BP

I'd like to come up with a pan lubing formula using Jojoba & Soy for 30 cal bullets for a Rug #1 30-30 I'm building. ... Soy wax lube is primarily for Black Powder cartridges. A 30-30 is not a BP round, so you might want to consider another lube, like SPG. Yes SPG will melt and can be used for pan lubing

brayhaven
05-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I personally prefer not to use soy products, as the land used to grow soy could support grazing cattle.
That's why I don't play golf :roll:
Greg

brayhaven
05-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Here's a sort of dream list for possible lube ingredients. www.thesage.com

Me, I've pretty much quit tinkering with lubes. There doesn't seem to be much chance of improving on FWFL.

Good site! My wife is a soap maker and has a bunch of waxes & oils. I'll do some playing around with soy formulas and see what I can come up with. I have a bnunch of it and it's been much better than any of my beeswax & parafin formulas in the shotgun lube & patch lube. Just a whole different application but I don't see any reason it won't work.

Also thanks to John Boy for your input. BTW, the 30-30 can be loaded with BP and isn't much different from the 32-40.

Good group of shooters here!
Greg