PDA

View Full Version : No 8mm Mauser barrels

Nora
11-25-2009, 01:15 AM
I've often wondered about the after market barrels for the 98 Mauser family. There is a smörgåsbord of flavors, grades and contours in both short and long chambered pre-fit barrels. But none actually chambered in it's native 8x57. Any one have any idea why? Granted it's always taken a distant back seat in popularity to the home team '06, but with the uncountable Mauser's we as a nation have why is this not an option for a replacement? It can be had in the 7x57, but not 8x57. Hmmmm I don't get it.

Nora

Nelsdou44
11-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Sporter Express carries 8mm LW barrels.

A good number of the used Husqvarnas being imported are available in 8x57. I recently bought a 8mm Husky sporter with an excellent barrel for what a new LW barrel +installation would cost.

KCSO
11-25-2009, 10:01 AM
The other thing is that threr have been so many good take off 8 mm barrels floating around that most folks who come in and want an 8 will just pick a take off.

mj2evans
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Good bullets are the issue. 308 and 338 bullets have a much better selection. I really like 8mm but wish there where more options for hunting bullets.

NickSS
11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
In spite of there being tons of 8mm Mausers in this country it has never caught on as a hiunting rifle caliber. Not that it will not do the job because it will (I killed a white tail years ago with a cut down 98K). All you got to do is look at which cartridges have become popular enough is to look at what caliber modern rifles are in. Even the 8mm Remington mag bombed out.