PDA

View Full Version : Got my new Taurus 45 Colt today . . . Yikes

cbrick
11-25-2009, 01:05 AM
I didn't have anything close to big enough to slug the throats so I got out the pin gauge set. The throats are very uniform and all 5 holes measure smash on .464", no wonder my boolits fell through without touching metal.

On to slugging the bore, my pure lead slugs were easily large enough to measure this. After calling my micrometer a liar (and a few other choice things) I slugged the bore a second time and got the same results, groove diameter is .44965"

That's a difference of .01435" from the throats to the groove diameter. After the forcing cone there is a long tapered leade to very shallow rifling. With a 2" barrel and the leade this long there is well under 1 3/4" of actual rifling. The outer barrel (like a shroud) is some sort of alloy with a steel insert with no crown.

Taurus isn't fooling anyone, they never intended for the Judge to fire the 45 Colt. Well sure, ya could but . . . This is a 2" rifled barrel .410 shotgun but that's OK though cause that's what I bought it for. It will be used for both legless and two legged snakes.

I have some #4, #7 1/2 and #9 410 factory loads and about 40 pounds of #9 shot. I have the Speer plastic 45 shot capsules and I've ordered some Mag Tech brass 410 hulls. When I get to the range I'll see at what distances the various patterns are, 10-15 feet will be good for me. A new toy to have some fun with.

Rick

S.R.Custom
11-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Sounds like it wouldn't take much to hone out the rest of the rifling and make it a smooth bore.* Patterns should tighten up after that. [smilie=1:

*And before you legal scaredy-cats get your panties in a twist, note that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. ;)

NVScouter
11-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Sounds like it wouldn't take much to hone out the rest of the rifling and make it a smooth bore.* Patterns should tighten up after that. [smilie=1:

*And before you legal scaredy-cats get your panties in a twist, note that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. ;)

:mrgreen:

Pretty sure cowboy loads feel still and any +P stuff would ruin a pistol with a .44965 bore and a .452 jacketed bullet. Or at least want to make you only shoot one and leave the other 49 in the box.

Pattern that snakeshooter yet? Courious about #9 and maybe small buckshot at 5-10 yards.

EMC45
11-25-2009, 06:49 AM
I would run hollow base pure lead slugs out of it. I believe Hornady sells some hollow based slugs that are swaged. I believe they are for the cowboy action crowd.