PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster?

Rich219
11-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Anyone use this product? Is it worth the price? I do a ton of reloading but so far I have never gotten into casting. This product looks like it would allow you to cast a large quantity of bullets with minimal effort? If there a similar device of the same quality for less or a better device for a bit more money?

http://magmaengineering.com/products/master-caster

Bullshop
11-24-2009, 03:48 PM
There is a similar device that will produce boolits even more quickly than the MC and it is far less expensive.
Yes its true! It is the Lee 6 cavity mold. Yes that's right you can make more boolits faster with the Lee mold.
If I am correct the MC is a manually operated mold holder pour-er. I think it uses a 2 cavity mold, at least it did when I looked at them some time back.
You set the cycle rate just as in any type of casting. If you cycle the MC 4 times per minute and the Lee 6 cavity 4 time per minute you get three times as many boolits from the Lee mold in the same amount of time.
IMO one way is no harder than the other. With the MC you push/pull a handle and the machine does the rest but either way your casting and there are things you must watch.
One big difference is when your molds are bolted the the machine and there is a problem you must correct you have a bit more of a problem than if the mold is in your hand.
Like I said IMO when you have things working right like alloy, properly prepped mold, alloy temp, and the right rhythm to keep the mold temp constant the Lee mold will out produce the MC.
Now if they have changed them and you can use a 6 cavity mold in them they will be just as fast but still personally I just do not see the need.
I will run my Lee 6 against that machine any day and Like John Henry said,"I'll wop that mo-chine down down down I'll wop that mo-chine down.
mo-chine= steam drill
Blessings
BIC/BS

leadman
11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Not sure, but I seem to recall a machine with multiple molds in it.

I personally do not care for the majority of Magna's mold designs. The majority are bevel based. Their copy of the "Keith" semiwadcutter is a joke.

boatswainsmate
11-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Here is one in action. Boats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXGQp0oolQ

Bullshop
11-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Maybe I am thinking of another one. Was there a machine called a mold master?
BIC/BS

markinalpine
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
I just finished watching the video, and it looks like a nice machine, but I have to agree with Bullshop. You can do just fine with a manual setup, and decide later if you really want to invest more in a machine.
I'm happy with my Lee and Mountain Mold casting equipment.
Good luck, and do give casting a try, but start out simply.
Mark :coffeecom

ReloaderFred
11-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I spent about 3 hours on my Master Caster this afternoon, using a Saeco mold that was converted to fit it. I've used the Lee 6 cavity molds, plus I've got about 40 other molds from various mold makers.

You can't make bullets any faster with the Master Caster, since the speed at which you cast is regulated by how fast the alloy sets up in the mold. You can't hurry this, no matter what method you're using. What the Master Caster allows, is a whole day of casting without feeling like you've wrestled wild boars. The most time I've spent in front of my Master Caster has been about 8 hours, with a lunch break and bathroom breaks. At the end of the session, I was still good to go. I've done the same with various manual molds, and been completely beat.

Is it worth the money? Only you can decide that. I personally like the machine, but I also use both of my other bottom pour lead pots and single, double, 4 cavity, 6 cavity molds, and even one 10 cavity H&G mold. It just depends on what I'm casting for whether I fire up the other pots or the Master Caster.

Hope this helps.

Fred

stiles
11-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Not sure, but I seem to recall a machine with multiple molds in it.

Maybe you were thinking of the Ballisti-cast Mark IV?

ReloaderFred
11-25-2009, 02:13 AM
He was probably talking about the Magma Bullet Master Mark 7. It has a wheel with 8 double cavity molds on it and can produce up to 4,000 bullets per hour. It also cost $11,350.00, and I believe shipping is extra..........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Rich219
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info. Is there a faster way to produce a large quantity of boolits without spending $10K on a machine?

Springfield
11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
The most bullets for your buck is to buy the 40 lb Magma pot and 2 LEE 6 cavity moulds. With this set-up and a little practice 1000-1300 bullets an hour is very doable. Just an FYI, this works best with bullets in the 200 grain range. Any heavier than this and you have to wait longer for them to cool so the moulds don't overheat. Any lighter than this and you either have to keep up a REALLY good rhythm, or do like I do, set the cooling mold on a hotplate to keep the temp up just a bit. Or just run one mould and ONLY get 800 an hour. Still beats the Master Caster. It IS more work as you have to hold the mould and not have it supported for you. I usually cast for about 2 1/2 hours and get 3000 bullets. That is usually plenty, plus with my set-up I am out of room for more bullets anyway until I empty the holding area. So if you need lots of bullets fast, use the bigger pot and 2 moulds. If for some reason you have physical limitations, then maybe the Master Caster will serve you well. One of these days I'm going to do a video of my casting with 2 LEE's and my Magma pot. I could do it now except my current camera has no sound.

Bullshop
11-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Didn'T you read my first post?
The only faster way is to buy your boolits.
Man you have got to bear down and bite the bullet( pun intended)
If you will cast there will be work involved no matter how you do it. If you want to eliminate the work you will buy boolits that someone else has done the work on.
If you don't see yourself enjoying the work at least at some small level then I think you will find that casting is not for you in any form. The end result is not the whole picture.
For most here it is ( the work) actually an enjoyable pleasurable satisfying experience.
BIC/BS

Springfield
11-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Bullshop: I did read it, just expanded on it a bit. Now a Master Caster that could run LEE 6 cav's, now that would be worthwhile!

ReloaderFred
11-25-2009, 04:20 PM
The Master Caster has two ports for dispensing the molten alloy at the same time, so two cavities are filled simultaneously. This may work, but when you buy the Master Caster, it comes with all the framework for attaching and using the two cavity molds. This would have to be removed to have room for the 6 cavity mold to fit under the pot, and you'd be paying quite a bit of money for parts you wouldn't be using.

I'm sure that if you called Magma and talked to them on the phone, they could help you. They're really nice people to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Springfield
11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
My Magma pot can run 1 or 2 ports, depending on which one is installed. A conversion to turn the ports 180 degress and an ability to fill 2 at a time on a six cavity would be interesting. Still wouldn't be faster than hand casting, but easier on the arms. Have to do some sprue plate rigging, too.

Springfield
11-25-2009, 05:21 PM
My Magma pot can run 1 or 2 ports, depending on which one is installed. A conversion to turn the ports 180 degress and an ability to fill 2 at a time on a six cavity would be interesting. Still wouldn't be faster than hand casting, but easier on the arms. Have to do some sprue plate rigging, too.

Bullshop
11-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Springfield I was not aiming at you but to Mr. Rich219.
Sorry bout the confusion.
BIC/BS