PDA

View Full Version : front sight remover

pittbull46
11-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Has anybody made a front dovetail removing tool beside the brass punch and hammer thanks

elk hunter
11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Pittbull46,

Yes, I have one that is a screw press type that I bought from Brownells long ago. I can't remember the brand, I think it's a Williams, as in receiver sights, but I do know they still make them. If you have any machining skills and tools it would not be hard to make one. If you have a Brownells catalog you can look and see how they are made.

Steve
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
A Williams front sight pusher .

KCSO
11-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I have several differnt pushers for different guns and they are much to be prefered for sight adjustment IF you have a lot of it to do. If you need to sight in a 22 and will never move the sight again a drift is as good as anything.

sargenv
11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
When I saw the name of the thread I immediately thought of all the new USPSA/IDPA shooters who like to put their pistols into the ports and upon recoil watch as their front sight bashes against the top of the port.. it is effective in removing front sights, but not neccesarily what is wanted :)

pittbull46
11-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I only have one to change so I will use the brass or try to get my bro to make me one. how would you keep it from turing when pressure is applyed to the sight?

Buckshot
11-25-2009, 03:56 AM
I only have one to change so I will use the brass or try to get my bro to make me one. how would you keep it from turing when pressure is applyed to the sight?

..............Keep what from turning? You mean the pushrod that actually pushes against the base of the sight? It doesn't turn, it pushes. There is a threaded rod behind it that is screwed in, and it pushes the rod without turning it.

..............Buckshot

John Taylor
11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Sight pushers don't work to well on round barrel. they are great if you have a ramp with a flat side to push against. Taking a brass or other drift to a ramped sight may take the ramp off the barrel, that's the reason for a sight pusher
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_962050000_1.jpg

largom
11-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Sight pushers don't work to well on round barrel. they are great if you have a ramp with a flat side to push against. Taking a brass or other drift to a ramped sight may take the ramp off the barrel, that's the reason for a sight pusher
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_962050000_1.jpg

+1 John

KCSO
11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
The illustration you have is of a ramp style pusher. For round barrels, or semi auto pistols you need either different ends or different pushers. I looked the other night and I have them for SKS, Glock, 1911, ramp sight, Swiss rifles and XD. The worst of the lot is the XD those I have to soak with Kroil and thne I sometimes have to use a drift to start them, I think they push them in with a 50 ton press.