PDA

View Full Version : New furnace purchase

armyrat1970
11-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Was trying to decide what I was going to do with my piggybank money, a mason jar that I keep my spare change in. Thinking about getting somemore primers or another new casting pot, as I have been having some problems with my Lee 10 pounder lately. This weekend made up my mind. Tried to cast some 30carbine boolits Sunday and my pot would not heat up. Guess the heating element crapped out. Can't complain from the service it has rendered as I have used it for around 6, 8 yrs. or so. Have been drooling over the Lee 20 pounder and visited Midway Monday night and purchased one. Hope to get it within the next week and can't wait. From all I have read about it, it's a pretty good furnace and looking forward to dropping my first boolits with it. Midway has them in stock and with a little sale price right now. It has some better features over the 10lb. pot and will have to work with it a bit to get the handle on it but am anxious to try it out.:smile:

chris in va
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
The new elements are pretty cheap, you could sell the 10# on here pretty quick.

armyrat1970
11-25-2009, 06:19 AM
The new elements are pretty cheap, you could sell the 10# on here pretty quick.

Naw. No one would want it. It seems to have a hole in the bottom of the pot somewhere as I get alloy dripping around the spout hole from time to time that messes up my casting. At the unfortunate time before I get the mold under the spout to start a pour, a drop or two will fall into the cavity and it always cools quicker and gives a wrinkled boolit in the nose area. Think I will keep it and get a new element at some time and use it for mixing different ingot alloys like wws with added tin or wws with a linotype mix, etc. Then pour the ingots to use in my 20 pounder.

HORNET
11-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Lee says they'll rebuild them for half of the MSRP. Not a bad way to get effectively a branny-new pot.

armyrat1970
11-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Lee says they'll rebuild them for half of the MSRP. Not a bad way to get effectively a branny-new pot.

Thanks for the heads-up HORNET. Didn't know that. Looks like I may have two new pots shortly.