PDA

View Full Version : A dumb question, but....

Ivantherussian03
05-13-2006, 01:13 AM
What is a larger bullet going to do for me in a hunting application, big game animals? I shoot a K98 and .06, one at 180 grains, and 185 grains, mostly for convenience, being affordable, and easy to get. Lately, I am facinated with finding larger bullets, 225's. I want to know how they will react. and what I might expect if try them?

Bret4207
05-13-2006, 08:03 AM
More penetration given similar profiles and velocity, more recoil, possible unstable flight if not enough velocity or twist, better ignition, maybe better grouping, maybe worse. I like a heavy for the caliber boolit. I also like flat or round noses. What game are you looking at using these on?

carpetman
05-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Ivanthe Russian---You have been getting one shot kills on moose with those 180's and 185's. Certainly you need to correct that. If it aint broke--don't fix it---but in your case it is broken. By just getting one shot,you are losing valuable practice and your shooting skills will erode. With heavier bullets you will have more arc and get to use your brain more figuring how much to hold. Not only that,those heavier bullets will perform better. Sure,killing them with one shot might sound good,but darn you still have to skin and gut them. Those heavies will do that for you and in some instances even quarter it out for you. Is that the improvement you are looking for?

Ivantherussian03
05-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I am just interested in large bullets, and playing with my loads. Right now, I load 2 thing basical, (variations on a single theme) so really one thing, and maybe I am bored with that.

So I have been thinking, wondering, if my loads were heavy/powerful enough for bears.

When I hunt in Ak; bears are not far off my mind. it is rare to see them and they tend to avoid people. One came in close to my call. One year I ran into three, but none since.

Bass Ackward
05-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Nothing wrong with heavy bullets. I like heavy bullets too with a reservation. I like to pick a target weight, and then find a caliber where that is a light to mid range weight. That way I can fling it faster too. That means about 180 in 30 caliber.

If you want a 225 grainer, I would recommend a 35 bore diameter cartridge of your choosing. But understand that .... I am BIASED as hell in this recommendation.