PDA

View Full Version : Round Ball BC chart from Lyman's Black Powder Handbook Please

tommygirlMT
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Okay, so I'm currently involved in a debate over on another forum regarding penetration effectiveness of various types of shotgun slugs. A self proclaimed expert who has never fired a full bore (0.73-ish) diameter round ball slug out of a 12ga. gun is claiming that there is no way it could have a penetration advantage over a standard 12ga. 1oz foster slug because it has both a lower sectional density and a lower BC and therefore is an inferior projectile if penetration is desired.

Considering that a 0.730" RB of pure lead weighs in at 580+ grains and 1-oz is equal to 437.5 grains and both are of the same diameter some simple math to calculate sectional density it shouldn't be hard to conclusively and mathematically prove that a full bore round ball does indeed have a greater sectional density then a 1-oz 12ga. slug which is nothing more then a flimsy thin sheet of lead folded over on itself in a thimble shape.

However, the BC component of the argument I'm having a little more difficult of a time with. I have found printed/published documentation that a 12ga. 1-oz foster slug has a BC of about 0.07 but I have been unable to obtain any documented information regarding the BC of a round ball that I have direct access too. I did find this though:

Ballistic Coefficient In order to calculate the trajectory of a bullet in flight, its ability to push aside the air and retain energy must be known. This property is known as the bullet's Ballistic Coefficient (BC). To calculate an accurate BC for any given bullet requires actually shooting it many times at various velocities, and measuring it's change in velocity over range. There is a simple way to approximate the BC for a round ball, though, so we can play around with theoretical trajectories.
For a round ball traveling more than 1300 fps:

B.C. = Ball Wt. in grains divided by (10640 x ball dia. x ball dia.)

Example: For a .535 ball weighing 230 grains, 230 divided by (10640 x .535 x .535) = a BC of .0755. Lyman's Black Powder Handbook gives a BC of .075 for a .535 in. ball, so the agreement is good. This formula courtesy of "Lee in Denver"

That's almost all the way down on the bottom of this page here:

http://members.aye.net/~bspen/math.html

Which if I use that formula, a round ball of 0.730" diameter has a BC of about 0.10 which is a higher BC then a foster slugs 0.07 thus meaning I can show that both statements this guy made are BS and then I can do some structural engineering analogies to show how a round solid sphere is one of the strongest 3-dimensional shapes possible and will be deformed the least on impact. I also have some pictures of actual penetration tests with both foster slugs and round balls to finish nailing this down.

There is one hole in my response so far though. All I have is that formula from so no-body for determining the RB's BC. Supposedly there is a chart showing the BC for various size RBs in Lyman's Black Powder Handbook. I do not own that publication and have been unable to locate this information in published form else-where. Would someone who has that book please look this up for me and post that chart for me. Page number reference would be appreciated as well.

crazy mark
11-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Here goes. .350rb .049 pg 186..... 440rb .062 pg 190..... .445rb .063 pg 198..... .495rb .070 pg 210..... .535rb .075 pg 216..... .562rb .079 pg 222..... .735rb .104 pg 235

.319rb .045.... .375rb .053.... .451rb .064.... .457rb .064

Mark

tommygirlMT
11-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Thank You !!!!!!!!

Now please, excuse me while I go write up a very carefully editted post with tripple checked math designed to kick some technical and mathmatical a$$.

crazy mark
11-24-2009, 12:06 AM
You are welcome. I can tell you a patched .690 RB out of a BP shot gun does some damage on old car bodies and aluminum engine blocks at 40 yds.

JohnH
11-24-2009, 12:24 AM
tommygirlMT, Not to be patronizing, If there is anything I have learned in hanging around various firearms, hunting and political forums over that last 7 years it is this...... You couldn't put a big enough hole in some peoples head to pour in any sense. The other side of that is we should be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out.

All that is required to post on a forum is access to a computer; (your local library has them available, one doesn't have to own it) registration; (doesn't have to be one's real name and could be one of 15 or more different emails a user keep active) and the ability ot use spell check (I don't even have spell check on mine) There is no requirement to know anything, no requirement to improve one's knowledge, and no requirement to even want to.

I have found that people will put out the most ridiculous arguements and them stand behind them when as many as 10 or more posters tell them they are wrong. Teaching people like this the error of their ways is like teaching pigs to sing. It frustrates you, wastes your time and annoys the pig. Some people show up for no other reason than to argue.

I found that even when I thought I had set things straight, all that had really happened was that the other guy quit argueing. It was obvious from later posts, they didn't learn a damn thing.

I'm not saying don't keep up your end of the fray. I'm just saying that the 'net is full of opinions and opinionated people. And some wouldn't change their mind if you shot a deer in front of 'em and they dressed it out. They'd start argueing about how what they saw was somekind of freak happening and begin to spin more nonsense to explain away the obvious. Kinda like the people who argue this is a two dimensional world. You can push 'em off a cliff and they argue that since they only fell down, and down is the opposite of up, there are only two dimensions. I wonder how they expalin what happens when you push 'em out of an airplane....

Rather than go into nonsense about BC's and sectional densities, why not ask a simple question... since BC is about how well an object flies through the air, what does that have to do with how well it flies through a deer? Deer are solid/semi-solid objects. It is more than reasonable to think that the laws governing flight through air won't apply. But then if you are dealing with an unreasonable person.....

All of the above is why I pretty much quit arguing on the 'net. It's a waste of my time, and it won't keep the fool from walking off a cliff.