PDA

View Full Version : S&W model 25?

2ndAmendmentNut
11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Thinking about getting a 45colt S&W 25 for plinking, target, and hunting. Some info on this model will be most appreciated.

Also, I was looking on Gunbroker and noticed that there are several different variants of the S&W 45colt model 25. For example there is the 25, and then there are a ton of them labeled model 25-something. What is the difference between the 25s and the 25-Xs?

Le Loup Solitaire
11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
The one I have was bought in 1977. It was referred to as the M25 Target and it shot/shoots .45 ACP or 45 Auto rim. With the right loads it has always been a one hole gun. My fading memory has some recall that it was also named the 1955, but I'm sure that someone here can remember better the details on that. The ACP's could be stacked in half moonies or 1/3 moonies; I had a few of each around, but they were a PITA to fiddle with. I either pulled the ACP's with a fingernail or poked then out with a 3" to 4"" piece of whittled twig. They were later made to shoot 45LC as well and those, like the AR's, were just extracted in the usual manner. A couple of range buddies from a long time ago said that they were accurate with that cartridge as well. I put a lot of rounds thru mine over the years and it is still as tight as the day I bought it. LLS

StarMetal
11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Thinking about getting a 45colt S&W 25 for plinking, target, and hunting. Some info on this model will be most appreciated.

Also, I was looking on Gunbroker and noticed that there are several different variants of the S&W 45colt model 25. For example there is the 25, and then there are a ton of them labeled model 25-something. What is the difference between the 25s and the 25-Xs?

I have a Model 25 45 Colt with the 8 3/8 inch barrel. One of the most accurate revolvers I've owned. The cylinder throats mic a little over .456 and the five groove rifling diameter is little larger then .451. Even though my cylinder throats are .456 I size my bullets to .452 and it shoots great. Yes I've tried .456 bullets and there was no difference in groups.

The revolver is stronger then a Colt single action, but not as durable as a Ruger. It will take some hot loads, but I wouldn't shoot many in it or it will loosen up much like the Model 29 fed a daily diet of hot 44 magnums.

In my opinion it's a great firearm, you won't be unhappy with it.

Mine by the way is a pinned barrel model. Two of my friends have the six inch barrels and another has a 4 inch and they all shoot the same....good.

Joe

targetshootr
11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
25-2s are 45 acp, 25-5s are 45 colt. My 4" 25-5 is one of my favorites. It's a pinned model but somehow the throats are just right.

Uncle R.
11-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree with 2nd Nut and Joe.
I have a pinned 6-1/2" barrel 25-2 (.45 ACP) and it's the apple of my eye. Unless you have a compelling reason to go with the .45 Colt I'd take a hard look at the 25-2 in ACP chambering. There are lots of advantages - cheap plentiful brass and full moon clip reloads top the list for me - and no loss of power or accuracy when compared to the larger case. The AR or ACP case can pretty well deliver all the heat I'm willing to extract from that fine revolver. It won't do Blackhawk levels but it will do .45 SAA level in the ACP case as long as you don't have your heart set on 300 gr bullets. And yes - I do 454190s in mine with great results. Whether you go big case or ACP try one - I doubt you'll regret it. A good N-frame 45 is a work of art.
<
(Can you tell I like 'em?)
<
2nd Nut - the 25-2 pretty much IS the 1955 target - just with a name in the newer nomenclature. The earlier 1950 model was lighter in weight with a more slender barrel. I expect it would have made a nicer holster gun but not hold as steady for target shooting. I have to admit I've never owned or shot one of those. They're pretty rare and valuable now and I'm just a working man...
<
Uncle R.

nicholst55
11-23-2009, 10:20 PM
A lot of the 25-5s have very large throats - mine run .456-457," and won't shoot .452" cast boolits worth a darn. It does better with .454" cast, but I want to try some of the Winchester and Remington bulk lead boolits once I return to the States; they run .455 and .456".

theperfessor
11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a 625 in .45 ACP/AR. It has a 5" barrel and a full length underlug and is very steady on the target. I have a number of N frames in .41 mag and .44 spcl/mag with barrels ranging from 3" to 6-1/2"and this is the best shooting of the bunch. I have enough 1/2 and full moon clips to load up 200+ rounds before I go to the range, I just leave the fired rounds in the clips and take 'em out at home with a home made de-mooner. Very fast to reload on the range. Complete extraction of the short ACP cases. I have no experience with .45 Colt so I don't know if this is true with them.

If you use clips or AR cases you can seat some multi-groove 250-260 gr bullets out far enough to roll crimp in top grease groove and gain a little powder space.

Of course, if I could get a good deal on a 25 in .45 Colt I'd have to consider it...

2ndAmendmentNut
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys.

I had toyed with the idea of a revolver in 45ACP, seeing as I reload for that caliber also. For some reason I just don’t like the idea of moon clips. I have yet to actually shoot a revolver that requires moon clips, not sure if I will like it or not. I am confident that I will love one in 45Colt, even though it can’t handle +P loads.

Dale53
11-24-2009, 02:22 AM
2ndAmendmentNut;
I have a couple of 625's and mostly use them with Auto Rim cases. I cast my own bullets and reload. I have lots of .45 ACP cases but prefer Rimmed cases for range use or hunting.

Of course, if you need quick reloads, you cannot beat a full moon clipped ACP case.

Dale53

captaint
11-24-2009, 03:50 AM
Guys, I own a model 1955 6" 5 screw. It just says model 1955 and 45 caliber. That's it. Talked to Jinks a couple of months back and he said it was made in 1956. There's not enough room in the frame for a LC cylinder. They did make a 45 Colt, same gun, that came with a 45 ACP cyl if so ordered. Worth way too much. Fine piece, I love it. Just got some 45 Auto Rim brass and will have to load it up soon with some of those Miha clones. Enjoy Mike

NickSS
11-24-2009, 04:55 AM
I had at one time two model 25s one in 45ACP and one in 45 Colt. I sold both of them not for any fault of the revolver but due to my small hands I just could never get comfortable with an N Frame Smith. They are fine guns if they fit your hand.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-24-2009, 05:50 AM
I've had three or four, and finally "upgraded" to a Colt Anaconda 45 LC with a four inch barrel. Yes, they made five or six early on. Shows how smart they are, they opted not to put the four inch into production. It is the perfect packing pistol.

Rich

Doughty
11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Mine is a 25-9, blue 4 inch. One of the few handguns I've kept. What a pleasure to shoot. Most of the time it's with 255s at about 900 fps. But it also does very well with 280s at 1000fps. Sighted in at 50 yards with the 280s, it was good enough to take a grouse this year, at 38 paces. At 25 yards, both loads shoot very close to the same point of aim. This summer I was doing some "rock shooting," seated, off my knees, in the 200 yard range. What a hoot. Just plain old fun.

GBertolet
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I have a 25-2. It is a real pleasure to shoot. It shoots good with just about any load. The previous owner cut the barrel to 4 inches for IDPA use. Good for a holster gun. They did a real nice job on it. Despite that, I am looking for a pinned 6 1/2 in barrel to restore it to original length and condition. As with my aging eyes I find I can shoot the longer barrels better now, and I don't use it as a carry gun or shoot in IDPA anyway. I can't seem to find a replacement barrel anywhere.

Bucks Owin
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
John Linebaugh: "The Smith & Wesson Model 25-5 chambered for the .45 Colt is a fine gun and one I pack daily myself. The problem with the Smith &Wesson guns in general is not so much a strength factor but rather a design factor. Before you S&W people beat up on me please listen. It has long been evident that the Model 29 in .44 Magnum very quickly beats itself apart with full-power loads. This is not technically a "strength" problem as much as a design problem and the assemblage of several small parts that are not as rugged as the Single Action design. In the course of time if all the little parts wear a tiny bit this soon adds up to a lot of play in the overall fit and lock-up of the gun. This in turn allows the gun to get a further "run" at itself under discharge and thus hastens the battering process.

In reality the Model 25-5 is about 80% as strong as the Model 29 in the cylinder area. The frames are the same and are designed for a 40,000 psi load level even though we know this is a bit more than they are happy with. It's too bad S&W built a 40,00 psi cylinder and installed it in a 30,000 psi frame, so to speak. (note: since this writing S&W has worked on the problem of the cylinder unlatching and rolling back under recoil after it gets a bit worn) The 25-5 in .45 Colt is safe to 80% of the 40,000 psi of the .44 Magnum Model 29. This allows a load of 32,000 psi in this frame. I have shot hundreds of the 32,000 psi class loads listed at the beginning of this article in several Model 25-5's. Recoil is heavy due to the S&W "hump" on the grip, but I do not see these loads as being dangerous in this fine gun. I do consider 32,000 to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefer to hold my personal loads to 5% under those listed loads for approximately 25,000 psi. I carry a S&W 4" in .45 Colt daily and shoot a 260 gr. Keith at 900 fps for general duty. When I saddle up and go into the hills I pack the same gun with a 310 gr. NEI Keith over 23 gr. H-110. This gives me about 1080 fps and all the punch I need for anything on our mountain. As with any gun and load data, work up carefully. I assume responsibility only for the ammo I myself assemble".........

Dframe
11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
This big gun has been available in both 45 Colt and 45 ACP. The dashes translate into engineering changes(pinned/not pinned/calibre/etc). Some dashes are the colt calibre others are the ACP. I've had better accuracy in the 25-2/45 acp.

StarMetal
11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
John Linebaugh: "The Smith & Wesson Model 25-5 chambered for the .45 Colt is a fine gun and one I pack daily myself. The problem with the Smith &Wesson guns in general is not so much a strength factor but rather a design factor. Before you S&W people beat up on me please listen. It has long been evident that the Model 29 in .44 Magnum very quickly beats itself apart with full-power loads. This is not technically a "strength" problem as much as a design problem and the assemblage of several small parts that are not as rugged as the Single Action design. In the course of time if all the little parts wear a tiny bit this soon adds up to a lot of play in the overall fit and lock-up of the gun. This in turn allows the gun to get a further "run" at itself under discharge and thus hastens the battering process.

In reality the Model 25-5 is about 80% as strong as the Model 29 in the cylinder area. The frames are the same and are designed for a 40,000 psi load level even though we know this is a bit more than they are happy with. It's too bad S&W built a 40,00 psi cylinder and installed it in a 30,000 psi frame, so to speak. (note: since this writing S&W has worked on the problem of the cylinder unlatching and rolling back under recoil after it gets a bit worn) The 25-5 in .45 Colt is safe to 80% of the 40,000 psi of the .44 Magnum Model 29. This allows a load of 32,000 psi in this frame. I have shot hundreds of the 32,000 psi class loads listed at the beginning of this article in several Model 25-5's. Recoil is heavy due to the S&W "hump" on the grip, but I do not see these loads as being dangerous in this fine gun. I do consider 32,000 to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefer to hold my personal loads to 5% under those listed loads for approximately 25,000 psi. I carry a S&W 4" in .45 Colt daily and shoot a 260 gr. Keith at 900 fps for general duty. When I saddle up and go into the hills I pack the same gun with a 310 gr. NEI Keith over 23 gr. H-110. This gives me about 1080 fps and all the punch I need for anything on our mountain. As with any gun and load data, work up carefully. I assume responsibility only for the ammo I myself assemble".........

Buck,

You've done your homework because the 32K figure is correct. It will loosen the gun up sooner then lower loads, but it will take it. There have been too many that have said the Model 25, with it's thinner cyclinder walls, wasn't much stronger then the Colt Single Action. That's untrue. It is stronger....but it's not the 44 mag and shouldn't be pushed so.

Joe

Bucks Owin
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Amen Joe. I shot an 8 3/8" barreled 29-2 extensively a few years back. It was highly accurate and I shot a lot of "high intensity" silhouette loads in it which loosened it up a little after a couple years. Never had it unlatch though. I finally sold it when I found my beloved 10" Flattop Ruger to replace it. Alas, I don't even have a .44 mag at the moment and no self respecting sixgunner should be without one! I'm on the lookout for a 10.5" SBH that I can afford now.......Best, Dennis :coffeecom

Bass Ackward
11-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I had at one time two model 25s one in 45ACP and one in 45 Colt. I sold both of them not for any fault of the revolver but due to my small hands I just could never get comfortable with an N Frame Smith. They are fine guns if they fit your hand.

It ain't the frame size, it's the grips. :grin:

I just recently purchased two sets of Herrett grips for my round butt Ns that if you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell what model you had in your hand. The feel is one of perfection instead of a frame size. You have to buy models that can be fit to your hand otherwise you get generic grips which will probably be too large. And there are cheaper alternatives for generic grips.

I know that it can sound corny, but a custom fit grip opens a new dimension for N frame guns, not only in feel, but in control under recoil. Big improvement on target over the standard rubber grips.

wellfedirishman
11-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I have a 25-2 1955 Target Model 45 ACP and with good cast loads it is a superb shooter. It will cut the black out of a standard 25 yard target with ease offhand. It has great target sights and a nice trigger also.

I wouldn't mind having one in 45LC if I could find it.

muzzleblast
11-26-2009, 02:44 AM
The S&W M-25 has been both cursed and praised. Originally, the N-frame, 45 ACP, 6.5" heavy barrel target revolver was introduced as the Model of 1955. When S&W adopted the numbered model designations, "The 357 Magnum" became the M-27, the "Model 1955" became the M-25.

The M-25 45 ACP was produced for some time, but I think dropped and later reintroduced as the 25-2. I'd have to look through lots of old Gun Digests to be able to give any dates, but for the purpose of your question, here's some general info:

The M-25 and M-25-2 are both 45 ACPs that use moon clips (or 45 Auto Rim). Earlier M-25-2's have 6.5" barrels. Sometime in the late '70's, I think, S&W dropped 6.5" barrels and standardized on 6" barrels.

The M-25-3 in 45 (Long) Colt was issued in 1977 to commemorate S&W's 125th anniversary. It seems of odd that S&W would issue a 125th year commemorative chambered in a Colt cartridge. Likewise, for some unknown reason the 25-3's clyinder length is shorter than the standard 25-5 45 Colt cylinder length. Therefore, bullets have to be seated deeper to accomodate the shorter cylinder.

The M-25-5 is the 45 Colt model. There were a few M-25-5's that were issued with a matching 45 ACP cylinder.

As metioned in a post above, it is well known that the 1970's through late 1980's M-25's (-2's, -3's, and -5's) were produced with excessively large cylinder throats. I have a 25-2 and a 25-5 both have .456 throats. My brother's 25-5 has .457" throats and a friend's M25-5 has some whopping .458" throats.

Now, if you try to shoot .452" bullets in a gun with such oversized throats, the results ain't gonna be pretty. Hence, the reason M-25's have been cussed. But, if you are lucky enough to have a mold that casts big enough to fit the oversized throats, they shoot just fine.

S&W finally corrected the oversize throat issue sometime in the late 80's. I don't think it ever was a problem on any of the 625 stainless revolvers. And, I should mention the 50's and 60's M-25s never suffered this problem. I hope this brief overview of the M-25's helps.

Since you mentioned hunting as a possible use, just be aware that S&W's cylinder notches (where the cylinder stop, or bolt, locks the cylinder in place) are cut directly opposite the center of each chamber making this the weakest part of the cylinder. This weakness in the design limits top end 45 Colt loads for use in S&W revolvers. FYI the M-29 44 Mag.'s cylinder walls are thicker and it can be loaded hotter. M-29s make fine plinkers and target guns too, because you don't have to stuff a case full of H-110 under a 429421 if you don't want to!

Anyway, I hope this brief overview of the M-25's helps. I like mine!

2ndAmendmentNut
12-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you Muzzleblast. Very informative.

9.3X62AL
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Good summation, MB.

One thing to keep in mind about the S&W revolver frames--most of them were designed around MUCH less powerful rounds than the calibers they are getting stuffed with nowadays. Sure--there have been upgrades in metallurgy and engineering over the past 110 years, but we gotta remember that I/J frames started life containing the 32 S&W Long--the K-frame began with the 38 Special and 32-20, and the N-frame was designed around the 44 Special. It wasn't until 1980 or so that the L-frame was purpose-designed for full-tilt 357 Magnums. The company followed with their X-frame behemoths as platforms for even more powerful rounds.

I didn't think in the late 1970's that ANY J-frame S&W could be built to contain the 357 Magnum. Granted, SAAMI lowered the pressure standards to 36K PSI from 42K PSI in all the old-line Magnum revolver calibers to enable this, but the practice of 'over-loading' platforms by S&W continues apace. Small wonder that some revolvers bite on both ends when fired.

HollandNut
12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I had a 25 ; 6.5" , had a house fire two and a half years ago and lost it ..

My cousin who passed away in 1991 gave it to me back inna late '70's .. He was a cop all his life and had it all tricked out for whatever comps he participated in back then ..

Was a sweet shooter , DA was one of the lightest triggers I have ever used .. I dunno who werked on it , but I'd shake their hand inna second ..

Snapping Twig
12-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Here's mine, a 25-7.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P8180006.jpg

It's said, and I agree, this is one of S&W's best ever shooting pistols. The cylinder specs are tight and while they have a matte finish which isn't everybody's favorite, they make up for it in the accuracy dept.

5" barrel, best of all worlds.

They were made in 1989 and a second variation called the 25-9 was the second run of these fine sidearms. Elongating the cylinder stops was the only change.

ddixie884
11-27-2011, 03:43 AM
ttt...............................

scattershot
11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I have a 25-5, and like all of them the cylinder throats are a little large. However, it turns in excellent groups with the Hornady and Remington soft swaged bullets. It's a 4" nickel, and re way fun to shoot. I don't hot rod it, though.

GLL
11-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Snapping Twig has the right idea ! :) :)
Correct throats and VERY accurate !

Read John Linebaugh's article and references to the 25-7/25-9: http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/D6DBB36312AD6AD/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2F33E90498D411D/orig.jpg

StrawHat
11-29-2011, 06:43 AM
I have three of the 45 caliber N frames. A 25-2, a 25-5 and a M28-2 I converted to ACP before S&W offered a 4" skinny barreled version.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Model25family007.jpg

While some loads are more accurate than others, I haven't found a "terrible" load for any of mine. All of them respond to handloading and some TLC.