PDA

View Full Version : Kicker charge of FFFFG?

jonk
11-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Reading the directions on pyrodex (which I don't often use) it notes that for flintlocks, the use of a small charge of black powder is recommended for consistant ignition, with pyrodex on top of that.

Got me to thinking.

I have 4FG for priming pans. I've used small amounts of it for duplex black loads in cartridges. What's wrong with using 5-10 grains of 4FG as a kicker charge with 3FG or 2FG as appropriate above it?

docone31
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
You could.

jonk
11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I'll give it a try. I have a slightly undersized .58 minie that doesn't shoot well and before I sell the mold I figured I'd see if I could get better obduration with an idea such as above.

JeffinNZ
11-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Jonk - if the Minie is a shade skinny you could paper patch it. I did this with a 39598 .40cal Minie I came into. It is .396 out of the mould so I patch it with two wraps of 9lb onion skin and the result is a .403 bullet that SHOOOOOOOTS.

northmn
11-26-2009, 08:34 AM
One reason a "kicker" of 4f may be a PITA depending on how you load it. finer granules tend to self prime of fall through the touch hole. I usually stick a pick in the vent to eliminate this problem as I even get some of this with 3f. Recently I found, through several recommendations from another board, that a size 50 drill or .070 helps with ignition for rifles of 40 and up without much loss in velocity. I did some chronographing on a 54 and found little loss from the standard 1/16 (.0625) to the .070. On larger bores like my 12 I use a #49 Original flintlocks had larger touch holes. As to effectiveness of a 4f kicker, it may assist in ignition but I have found that touchhole line up with the pan and a good insert is adequate. Chambers White lightening is highly considered, but needs a special tap. Once you get one you have it. Another trick mentioned by Chambers and others is to use a larger insert for a larger bore. they may use a 5/16 for a 50 up for instance as it permits a larger interior cone. A 3/8 for fowlers and other bores of 60 and up.

Northmn

Baron von Trollwhack
11-26-2009, 10:31 AM
The problem to solve is not the ignition, it's the "skinny bullet" syndrome.

With minie's, the hope is always to size down just a little to fit and to insure roundness. If you are using a pure lead minie' now, try molding a few of wheel weights and check for diameter. If skirt roundness is ok and the fit is too tight, make a few of 50/50 lead/WW and check fit and skirt roundness. Alloying along these lines may just give a boolit with a close fit.

With minies you must always be careful of skirt roundness as they come out of the mould like putty and it does not take much to get them out of round.

They will obturate when fired if not too hard. Clearly, it depends on your powder charge. On pure lead even the front band will expand measurably. I try for a lead minie' sized no more than 1k under bore, and use a soft grease.

BvT