PDA

View Full Version : New Lyman Mag 20 won't unclog?

Okie2
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
New poster here....Bought a new Mag 20 thinking I could crank out more lead for my bigger bullets with less hassle. (Have been using a Lee Production 10 lb'er for more than 20 years). Well...Have used it 2 times & both times it got clogged up. First time I finally got it flowing. The second time...after melting the lead...no go...was able to use a small drill bit to go up from the bottom...& up the spout (like Lyman says to do with a paperclip...that would be impossible). Even had the drill bit so far up that it moved the down spout & lever...but, still no lead. Lead was already cleaned & fluxed.... Ideas? I had less trouble with the Lee. Thanks, Scott

Calamity Jake
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
New poster here....Bought a new Mag 20 thinking I could crank out more lead for my bigger bullets with less hassle. (Have been using a Lee Production 10 lb'er for more than 20 years). Well...Have used it 2 times & both times it got clogged up. First time I finally got it flowing. The second time...after melting the lead...no go...was able to use a small drill bit to go up from the bottom...& up the spout (like Lyman says to do with a paperclip...that would be impossible). Even had the drill bit so far up that it moved the down spout & lever...but, still no lead. Lead was already cleaned & fluxed.... Ideas? I had less trouble with the Lee. Thanks, Scott

First ,turn the heat up.
Second, if you are casting outdoors put a wind shield around the pot to help retain heat.
Third, adjust the flow screw so the rod is raised up more, this will allow more alloy to flow thru.
If all that fails then dump the pot and clean from the inside.
Don't forget to clean the needle.

GBertolet
11-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I have this same trouble with my RCBS Pro Melt. Turning the heat up to max usually does it. If not, in addition open the flow adjustment to max and hold open until the lead flows also.

Dale53
11-24-2009, 02:07 AM
My RCBS Pro Melt sometimes freezes in the spout when I am trying to cast at too low a heat for the particular alloy. I keep a propane torch handy and sometimes it requires heating the spout to get it flowing. It generally only happens when I have to stop for one reason or another.

FWIW
Dale53