PDA

View Full Version : Some bullet moulds on Auction sites,

madcaster
05-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Have been appearing lately and I have bid on 4 and won on Auction Arms,the best auction site for gun sales in my opinion.
Anyways,what I have found is that some people won't even bid on one that is modified for a casting machine and therefore does not have a sprueplate.
It is really nothing that anybody cannot handle with a hacksaw,a piece of steel about 3/16' thick and a drill press with an appropriately sized drill bit and a tap.
Ya'll should have a lookysee and get yourselves some good deals!And if you find one that is being bid on by me,I will not mind if you want to outbid me.
Take care Friends,
Jeff.:drinks:

Bucks Owin
05-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Have been appearing lately and I have bid on 4 and won on Auction Arms,the best auction site for gun sales in my opinion.
Anyways,what I have found is that some people won't even bid on one that is modified for a casting machine and therefore does not have a sprueplate.
It is really nothing that anybody cannot handle with a hacksaw,a piece of steel about 3/16' thick and a drill press with an appropriately sized drill bit and a tap.
Ya'll should have a lookysee and get yourselves some good deals!And if you find one that is being bid on by me,I will not mind if you want to outbid me.
Take care Friends,
Jeff.:drinks:

Thanks for the tip on "Auction Arms", I'll have to have a look see.

Occasionally there are some good deals on moulds at Gunbroker.com too. I won a nice Lyman 35863 awhile back for under $20 there....

FWIW,

Dennis

mooman76
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I got one there in 7mm. It was in real good shape. I plan to buy a couple spue plates from RCBS though! The screw parts I got from Home Depot!

Wayne Smith
05-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I have never seen a casting maching or the molds made for one. I'm one of those who have avoided them, largely because I didn't know how they were different. Do they fit standard handles - RCBS, Lyman, Lee 6-cavity? Would the Lyman rebuild kit help, or be a waste of money? I don't do much if any metal work, but have a Jet floor drill press, would I need anything else? Is there a bit to drill the holes, or just use a countersink after drilling the initial hole?

madcaster
05-15-2006, 09:50 PM
RCBS or Lyman handles work just fine.
I'd go with a 3/16" or thicker for a sprue plate just to make sure it sits still.
A countersink for screws will work just fine.
You may also want to bevel the edges of your homemade sprueplate,and make sure no burrs are present on the bottom.
total "bill" for a useful suggestion is

is

notating!
Jeff.

Wayne Smith
05-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Are the blocks drilled and tapped for the sprue plate? Just no plate in place?

madcaster
05-16-2006, 10:51 AM
I do not remember,but since you do have a drill press,just keep it square and level,and tap it for a good common size of bolt/screw,an 8X32 is great,and use a brass bolt/screw to butt up against the sprue plate pivot bolt and it will kinda compress some and not let it work loose.
Take it slow and careful,that IS aluminium you know,and just as a powderhorn does not look good with 2 nameplates,a bullet mould does not look good with several unneeded holes in it.
Jeff.