PDA

View Full Version : Crimping a .444 Marlin case

Wally
11-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I have been shooting this caliber for over 30 years. As some bullets will engage the rifling when aeated to their crimping groove, I have trimmed cases down a bit so this will not happen..I also milled down the base of the .444 Marlin seater die so I could roll crimp the shortened cases. However I was never all that imprssed with this setup as some cases were crimped a bit too much, others not enough, despite my best efforts to trim all cases to the exact same length. Methinks some cases change lenth when belled and/or when a bullet is seated. What to do?

I tried a Lee Taper crimp Die in the .44 Caliber (#90784) screwed into the press about 5 threads down. You CANNOT use it to crimp pulling the lever all the way---what you can do is to pull it evenly until you feel it stop...this will ensure the same crimp on all cases and you will never over crimp any. Works very well--wish I had thought of this sooner

Marlin Hunter
11-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I tried a Lee Taper crimp Die in the .44 Caliber (#90784) screwed into the press about 5 threads down.

The Lee 444 Factory Crimp Die is #90855. It works great!!

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1258997894.1924=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html

felix
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I do ALL crimping, when called for, by feel ONLY. I care less about the die itself as long as I can get a consistent feel. Actually, I need a "press" with 1/10th of the amount of leverage so a better feel job can be done. ... felix