PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a 6cav 358-158rf Lee?

subsonic
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I bought one of these moulds a while back. I cast up a bunch with it and found that it was not a good mould for what I wanted to do. It leaded too much at decent velocities (probalby due to being a bevel base) and was not accurate in the gun I wanted it for when compared to other moulds I already had on hand. I tried drilling the bases of the cavities to get rid of the bevel base - which reduced leading some but did not improve accuracy - probably because I was not very accurate with my drilling. I had a thought that someone with a cherry could re-cut this mould to something larger - and I'd like to have a roughly 170-200gr plain flat base .403" diameter bullet to shoot from my 10mm. Can anybody do this or give me another suggestion as to what to do with this mould? Anybody want it?

deltaenterprizes
11-23-2009, 12:22 PM
I can mill the base off of it for you or I will buy it. PM sent on mold.

MtGun44
11-24-2009, 11:58 PM
I think you may be giving up WAY too soon. What are your throat diameters, groove
diameters and sizing diameters? You have to fit the boolit to the revolver or you get
no accy and leading. Bevel base is not a particular plus IMHO, but they absolutely can
be made to shoot with little or no leading. What alloy are you using? Too hard is often
a problem in conjunction with too small a diameter.

Bill