PDA

View Full Version : 454 ragging bull trigger work

Dogg
11-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Question for those who have the Ragging Bull. The double and single action trigger on my new gun is really heavy. Has anyone done their own trigger work on one of these? I believe Wolf makes a spring package for them, is it any good. Lastly is there a way to reduce thetrigger reach about 1/4 inchor maybe a bit more?
I haven't shot revolvers for mannnnnny years, usually shot autos. In the past I always went double action when shooting revolvers cause that was the way I was taught when I was a police officer.
I would consider doing my own trigger work if it is not to difficult. Don't know about using a gunsmith around here since last time I tried to get something done they all kept refering me to someone else.
Thanks
Dogg

Dale53
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a couple of .454 Raging Bulls but frankly haven't yet had the time to work much with them.

The .454 Casull creates some issues of it's own. It uses small rifle primers which have heavier cups (apparently considered necessary to handle the extreme pressures of the cartridge). Heavier (thicker) primer cups require heavier mainsprings which CAN lead to heavier trigger pulls. Changing out to an "under weight" mainspring can lead to misfires.

Double action with a heavy recoiling revolver such as the .454 Casull may not work all that well. By the time you recover from the recoil you can easily recock the hammer for a second single action shot. Typically, when firing single shot, you get a harder hit on the primer (the hammer stroke is longer). You may have misfires with double action...

Just a couple of thoughts...

Dale53

454PB
11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I have one in .454.

How many rounds have you fired? My trigger "slicked up" after about 300 rounds, at least in single action. I can't imagine using the double action function short of a Grizzly chewing on the front sight.

Dogg
11-23-2009, 04:03 PM
I will probably be shooting 45 colt most of the time, there really isn't much around here that requires the Casull round. the gun only has about 40 rounds thru it so isn't really broke in. But as I said I really like to use double action when possible.

leftiye
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Try watching TV with it..... While you cycle the action a couple a zillion times. Instant trigger job (or at least something in that direction). Other than the usual polishing and stoning, I seem to remember that you don't want to cut down the trigger return spring very much or it won't stay in position where it should be. Mine has a homemade return spring for some reason.