PDA

View Full Version : Information needed

Bob in Revelstoke
11-23-2009, 02:18 AM
I am thinking of buying a reproduction Winchester in 45.60 cal. I have been unable to come up with very much information other than, the cartridges can be formed from 45.70 brass. What I would like to find out is, cartridge length, what type of load and what size cast boolit. The rifle is made in Italy so probably it will shoot either black or smokeless.
I also notice Lee has the reloading dies listed, but not as a common type.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Bob

Buckshot
11-23-2009, 03:46 AM
............You'll need to trim the 45-70 to 1.875" / 1.890". I don't know if the current repro's expect people to reform 45-70 and cut the chamber for that rim thickness or if there is simply enough 'spring' in the action to take the thicker rim. The original was about .057"-.058" and various brands of 45-70 can run about .010" more. If it were me, I'd buy the rifle and hold off buying any moulds or other equipment until I had it in hand.

.............Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
11-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Bertram Bullets in Australia make cases, as do other in teh States from what I hear. MY mate, Little Joe D has one and is very happy with it. He had a thousand cases make with his alias on the base. Classy, expensive, but classy. Going with the 45/70 cases is probably a better way of going if you are going to use it a lot. If not 100 cases should keep you out of mischief for awhiles. I usually buy a minimum of 120 cases so that despite losing the odd case, I can always front up with 100.

Bob in Revelstoke
11-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Thank you for the information. I still have more inquiries before I finally decide.
I guess the old adage, The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys, applies.

EDK
11-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Mike Venturino has a short chapter on reloading 45/60 in an original 76 in his excellent book, SHOOTING LEVERGUNS OF THE OLD WEST...contact him and get an autographed hardbound copy. My "not so little brother," Idaho Sharpshooter, did a magazine article in SINGLE SHOT EXCHANGE(?) a few years ago on modifying brass and loading for the reproduction 76. See if he responds or send him a private message.

I shoot a 50/90 SHILOH SHARPS so this may sound hypocritical, but I'd do some looking about brass availability. The strength of the action is another thing to consider. I'd suggest a MARLIN 1895 Cowboy or a WINCHESTER 1886 and do some custom work. BUT the 1876 carbine that Tom Selleck carried in CROSSFIRE TRAIL sure looked neat. (I've got four years until I retire and a few guns to buy/get custom work done on.)

Good luck on the project.

:cbpour::redneck: