PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Prime / Case Trimmer shell holders?

bkbville
11-23-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm looking to pick up a Lee Auto Prime - this is the hand-held tool.

I have a question about the shell holders;

do the shellholders that come with the Lee case trimmers work with the Auto Prime?

From pictures they look to be the same, except the case trimmer ones have knurled sides.

If the case trimmer shell holders work, I can skip buying yet another set of shellholders...

HeavyMetal
11-23-2009, 01:34 AM
The case trimmers use the very old style primer shell holders and they do not work for anything but trimming.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The "good" part is you can buy a "kit" of all the popular size shell holders to fit the auto prime. This come in a plastic box with a directory of what fits who and is nicely done.

Years ago I bought an auto prime and still use it. Recently I broke down and bought a second one. Now I have one set for large primers and one for small primers With the "kit" full of shell holders it has worked out nicely.

Pepe Ray
11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
What Heavymetal said about the priming SH's is true--
however--
the case trimming SH's are another (3rd type) of animal entirely.
They are threaded to hold another part of the set up. Also, unless later production has been markedly improved, they are of aluminum and will suffer a lot of wear when used with the power adapter to polish cases.
I messed with them in the beginning but quickly realized that my future would be better served with a bench mounted adjustable trimmer. A little more investment in the beginning but much more flexibility and variation capacity for the future.
There'll be some comments about my choice but, I've been completely satisfied with the Forster product. Many people have not learned how to achieve repeatable accuracy with it but it's their tuff luck. I can.
Good luck in your new endeavors
Pepe Ray

Jal5
11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I have the Lee trimmer for a couple of pistol calibers i shoot and they are good, simple products. I also have the lyman accutrimmer for when I need to do a large number of cases and all my rifle cases.

DevilDog83
11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Love the Lee hand primer, but I've had many handles break on me. My advice is to order a few extras from Midway or Natchez, so if you break one, you are still good to go. About $2.00 each