PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450

mooman76
05-12-2006, 01:05 PM
I got Lubsizer on ebay but haven't had a chance to mount it yet. That will be done today. It looks great like it was hardly used at all. I also went ahead and bought a bunch of dies and top punches so I could start using it right away. Just a couple of questions.

1. About how many bullets does a stick of lube do? I realize it will very alot but I need to know how much to keep on hand.

2. My 450 luber was not equiped with a heater. I have no idea what the heater looks like or where it goes but if I bought the heater for the 4500, would I be able to apply it to my lube press?

Dale53
05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
It really depends on how your bullet is designed (number, depth, and width of lube grooves). Rest assured, one stick will do hundreds of bullets. However, I make up my own lube and no longer put it up in sticks. I just use a large pan (cake pan) and then break off what I need. I have a one cup coffee warmer that I sit a pyrex cup on. The lube is held to a constant melted temperature of 170 degrees. That does not hurt the lube and I turn on the coffee warmer when I start bullet lubing. By the time I am ready for more lube, it is melted and ready to pour into the lube sizer. Could not be easier. Of course, if you prefer to purchase your lube, you can do the same thing with a lube stick. Melt it in the pyrex cup and pour it in when ready.

I have ordered some of Lars red lube and it whould work fine that way. You can use a solid stick instead of a hollow stick with this method - you don't have to stock both if you have a Star and an RCBS, like I do. You get a bit more in the solid sticks, also.

FWIW
Dale53

Dale53
05-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Mooman76;
#2 - The Lyman heater for the 4500 will not fit your sizer. However, there is a universal heater (you bolt your sizer to it) that is drilled for the RCBS, The Lyman, and the Star that will work quite well. I have one. It bolts to your bench, then you bolt the sizer to it. The heater is sandwiched between the bench and the sizer. You will, of course, need access to an electrical outlet (but you knew that, didn't you:mrgreen: ).

Dale53

Bucks Owin
05-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Mooman76;
#2 - The Lyman heater for the 4500 will not fit your sizer. However, there is a universal heater (you bolt your sizer to it) that is drilled for the RCBS, The Lyman, and the Star that will work quite well. I have one. It bolts to your bench, then you bolt the sizer to it. The heater is sandwiched between the bench and the sizer. You will, of course, need access to an electrical outlet (but you knew that, didn't you:mrgreen: ).

Dale53

Yep, that's the "Cadillac" setup and what I'll be using soon but lotsa folks seem to get by just fine with a hair dryer, Mama's iron etc...

FWIW,

Dennis

rmb721
05-12-2006, 03:06 PM
I don't check it all that close, but I think that with 38 cal bullets, you should get close to 1000 bullets lubed from each stick. With 44 cal, a lot less. With 22 cal more. It varies with bullet diameter, number and depth of grooves and how much lube leaks out the bottom.

As for a heater, I used a suggestion from this forum. Two pieces of 1/4 thickx4 inches wide flat aluminum. One piece is 4x4, the other is 4x12. The 4x4 next to bench, then the 4x12, then the luber/sizer. That way the 4x12 is off the bench.sticking behind luber. Then you just set a clothes iron on the 4x12 piece and the heat will transfer to luber/sizer.

dragonrider
05-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Mooman 76
in this pic if you can see the heater mounted under my 450.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/reloading/reloadingsetup001.jpg

Ken O
05-12-2006, 10:16 PM
There are a lot of ways to heat the lube, there have been lots of threads on it. For me the Lyman heater is drilled and tapped, ready to go. For $39 and have something that you plug in, let it heat up, and start sizing, is worth the price.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=182761

kodiak1
05-12-2006, 10:48 PM
dragonrider what the he** is the remote for? You got somekind of new fangled powder throw hidden back there somewhere that it controls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on reloading and having fun.
Ken.

Bucks Owin
06-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Mooman 76
in this pic if you can see the heater mounted under my 450.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/reloading/reloadingsetup001.jpg

Paul, is that Lyman's "replacement handle" on your 450? Mine has the "bicycle grip" handle....

Dennis

shooter575
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Paul, is that Lyman's "replacement handle" on your 450? Mine has the "bicycle grip" handle....

Dennis

Both of my 450s have that handle.Came that way out of the box.I think they changed to that type at the end of production of the 450. I have had mine for 15 years or so.

dragonrider
06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
That's the one it came with, also had it about 15 years.

contender85
06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Lyman sells a Handle Conversion Kit for $17.50 that will convert the 450 to the newer style handle/linkage.....plan on switching mine over one of these days. Here is a link to the page.....just scroll down to the bottom and you'll find it.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

Mark

chunkum
06-08-2006, 07:34 AM
I've been casting and used a couple of 450s to lube and size since the early '70s without any heater for either one. They seem to do OK. What am I missing here? c.

Bucks Owin
06-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I've been casting and used a couple of 450s to lube and size since the early '70s without any heater for either one. They seem to do OK. What am I missing here? c.

Hard lube amigo!

I don't think you could force, for instance, Carnuba Red through your sizer unless it was warmed up first...

Or Lyman "Orange Magic" either,

Dennis

dragonrider
06-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Kodia1 wrote
"dragonrider what the he** is the remote for? You got somekind of new fangled powder throw hidden back there somewhere that it controls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well of course it's for my tv. I know I shouldn't have distractions, I shut it off when reloading, but I do other things t here t hat I can have it on and be safe.