PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4 20lb furnace birthday

dolang1
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
After careful research on this forum, my wife has decided to get the 4 20 for me for my birthday. Okay, I misrepresented that a little bit. She didn't actually read the forum, but she would have wanted me to have the furnace. She also wanted me to have 3 more 6-cavity molds to test my new furnace with. Okay, I lied, but I'm sure she will be happy with the present that she bought me, when she sees how happy it makes me.
I've been lucky to have been married for 38 years and she has always been able to select some great presents along the way. Later Don

kbstenberg
11-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Your wife mustv been talking to mine. My better half is getting me a Pro 4 20 for X-Mass

docone31
11-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Congrats both of you. It takes a real man to be an husband.
Listen though, Do not melt down range scrap, or other random crud in the bottom pour pots. Do that else where. Use only ingots of known material.
I have the Lee 20lb Bottom Pour. I have used it almost trouble free for some years now.
One time though, I tossed in some I thought pewter. I was wrong. I learned a lot about zinc, and why it is not appreciated in the casting world.
I do use it in my alloys now, but it took some work to make it work.
Fresh alloy, keep the spout clean, and weak people do not stay married for decades.
It takes two strong people.
Congrats.

mold maker
11-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Sounds like the year my wife gave me a dishwasher, and I gave her a Rem. 1100.

armyrat1970
11-24-2009, 05:24 AM
My wife will realize in a couple of days that she just bought me a Lee 20 pounder Monday night for x-mass. Well she will when she sees the bank statement anyway. My 10 pounder crapped out and I really needed another one. Merry Christmas guys.[smilie=w:
Now I wonder what i'm going to be buying for her.

armyrat1970
11-24-2009, 05:39 AM
Congrats both of you. It takes a real man to be an husband.
Listen though, Do not melt down range scrap, or other random crud in the bottom pour pots. Do that else where. Use only ingots of known material.
I have the Lee 20lb Bottom Pour. I have used it almost trouble free for some years now.
One time though, I tossed in some I thought pewter. I was wrong. I learned a lot about zinc, and why it is not appreciated in the casting world.
I do use it in my alloys now, but it took some work to make it work.
Fresh alloy, keep the spout clean, and weak people do not stay married for decades.
It takes two strong people.
Congrats.

Yes indeed. I ran into problems smelting wws in my Lee 10 pounder and got zinc contamination. Was hell to get it cleaned. I now smelt all of my wws in a dutch oven with a turkey frier setup. We coonasses actually call them a seafood boil. Never smelt any unknown alloy in your furnace. It will save you a lot of headaches.