PDA

View Full Version : Win AA12S

sundog
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm resurrecting a topic that had a thread way back in the archives. Several of us tossed this around for a week or so. I finally shot some of it in a .357 with a 148 gr WC. I tried 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0. I only shot a few rounds of each, just for grins. The 3.0 load smoked the case mouth just a little. The other two will need to be shot on paper just to see, and across the chrono to verify. Bore had a little trash with each load, indicating possibly that it wants more pressure for a cleaner burn. I'll decide that when I see what the velocity is and how it prints. So, even at 5 grains, with 5 lbs of powder, that's 7K rounds. That's enough to make it worthwhile, eh?

This batch of powder is probably 20-30 years old, in its original 10 lb round cardboard caddy. I smells fine. It looks fine other than its a mix of gray kernal sized from small to dust and rather irregular shape. There are several pounds still in the caddy, so it should be used. Even if it's used for nothing more than plinking loads. The caddy says it's for 12 ga target and skeet loads. Just thought I'd post a follow up in case anyone might be interested.

lylejb
11-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Very interesting;)

please post a pic. of the cannister.

years back, I loaded alot of 12ga. and for some reason, that number rang a bell as a wad...:?:

Is my memory going the way of .....well....:veryconfu

I thought their target 12ga powder back then was 452aa, and was close to red dot in burn rate.

Anyway, great find, and happy :Fire:

garandsrus
11-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Sundog,

I am interested... I have a full 10 lb caddy of that powder. I had asked about it a while ago and people provided reloading info for several different pistol calibers.

John

sundog
01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Felix and I tested this powder yesterday in 45 acp with a Lee 452-225-RN. Cases were Speer, "once-it-farred", Fed LP primers with an OAL of 1.290, fired in a full size Kimber 1911.

5.6/AA12S averaged 900 fps with a low ES. They were not recorded on paper, just over chrono.

When I get a chance I'll load a batch and put them on paper and report back.

Rocky Raab
01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Winchester introduced AA12S and AA20S in 1968, apparently to allow target shooters to duplicate existing factory loadings in 12-ga and 20- ga, respectively. I have never laid eyes on AA12S, but AA20S takes the cake for oddest-looking propellant ever. It looks like tiny clusters of grey grapes, being composed of near-microscopic spheres glued together.

AA12S was the faster of the two, probably burning somewhere in the Red/Green Dot speed area.