PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid as a coolant

G- Unit
11-22-2009, 05:47 PM
I read a blog on another site about a guy that was pouring his own lead shot ,and was using brake fluid to quench his shot instead of water has anybody else heard of this practice, and if so what are the benefits?

lwknight
11-22-2009, 06:06 PM
I think that most people use a 50/50 ethlene-glycol ( antifreeze coolant)
Brake fluid is an oil that probably lets the shot become round pretty well.
Brake fluid has ZERO lubrication value.
Straight water has too much surface tension and will not likely produce round shot.

Thats all I know.

Cactus Farmer
11-22-2009, 06:20 PM
You might more info if this was posted in the casting for shotgun section. The shot makers hang around that section a lot......

waksupi
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
There was recently a warning on the hazards of fumes from brake fluid, if it becomes hot. Nasty stuff, so you may wish to re-think using it for this purpose.

Shiloh
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I think that most people use a 50/50 ethlene-glycol ( antifreeze coolant)
Brake fluid is an oil that probably lets the shot become round pretty well.
Brake fluid has ZERO lubrication value.
Straight water has too much surface tension and will not likely produce round shot.

Thats all I know.

I read at a different sight a while back that adding dishwashing detergent and alcohol to water is another substitute. I have never cast shot and don't know the first thing about it.

Shiloh

joel0407
11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=lwknight;725029]I think that most people use a 50/50 ethlene-glycol ( antifreeze coolant)
QUOTE]

I dont know why you would use Antifreeze?

Anti-Freeze is added to radiators to lift boiling and lower freezing points of water. The down side is water with Anti-Freeze added will not conduct heat as well as straight water. Water under pressure will also have a higher boiling temperature. Hence performance motors often have higher pressure release radiator caps and add wetter (reduces surface tension) but no Anti-Freeze.

Note. Coolant and Anti-Freeze are 2 different things. Anti-Freeze is the stuff with ethlene-glycol in it and directions usually state not to run too high of a concentrate for reasons I have stated obove.

leftiye
Or a shot tower.:kidding:

AZ-Stew
There was recently a warning on the hazards of fumes from brake fluid, if it becomes hot. Nasty stuff, so you may wish to re-think using it for this purpose.

It wasn't brake fluid, it was brake cleaner. None the less, be careful not to inhale the vapors. Oil in the lungs is a bad thing.

Regards,

Stew

wallenba
11-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Brake fluid can cause blindness and will remove any paint it comes in contact with.

kodiak1
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I think I would be with Waksupi on this one the fume I would think would be brutal.
The smell when you have to heat a line nut on a brake line to get it off is enough for me.

Ken.

waksupi
11-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Stew.

GabbyM
11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Brake fluid is not an oil. Is similar to anti freeze but I forgot my Chemistry. It does brake down in water.

leadman
11-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I make shot and use ALL laundry detergent, recommended by Magma, the people that sell Littleton shotmakers.
Careful with antifreeze (same as coolant), hydraulic oil, brake fluid, etc. They all have a flash point and will burn, even the antifreeze!

Water causes the shot to "pop", will look like a partially popped popcorn kernel, especially if the temp of the lead is over 550'.

lylejb
11-22-2009, 11:38 PM
First, neither Brake fluid or antifreeze is an oil. Both are glycol based fluids. Brake fluid is slightly thicker (more viscous) which some people mistakenly think of as oil. NEVER add any oil based fluid to a brake system, it WILL quickly destroy any and every rubber brake part it touches. This can result in a brake pedal goes to the floor / car won't stop condition:holysheep

I've had to repair 3 or 4 cars in my 20 years as professional mechanic that have been "topped off" with the wrong fluid. It's not pretty....

As far as what advantage this may have as a coolant for shot making, I can't think of any. It's cooling properties would not be better, and likely worse, than antifreeze. As it is slightly thicker, I would think that would provide greater resistance to the shot pellet entering the fluid. I would think that would make it less round. Straight brake fluid does have a higher boiling point than antifreeze + water mixed. Maybe that's what he's after??

I think this is a "homebrew" recipe. HE THINKS it's better, theirfore, it is FOR HIM.....regardless if any facts support it or not.

Marlin Hunter
11-23-2009, 12:16 AM
The reason why water may not be good is that the water surrounding the shot will instantly turn to steam and distort the molten ball of lead (think tinsel fairy). Raising the boiling point above 700*F would help keep distortion of the shot down to a minimum.

XWrench3
11-23-2009, 09:27 AM
i wouldnt think you would want to use brake fluid. it is alcohol based. i would think there would be an inherent fire dange there.

AZ-Stew
11-25-2009, 03:30 PM
First, neither Brake fluid or antifreeze is an oil. Both are glycol based fluids.

Thanks for the education. I guess I never read the label on the can.

Regards,

Stew

Russel Nash
11-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Basically, I am cheap and I am lazy, so I use just plain water.

A mechanic friend of mine told me that anti-freeze, especially when atomized is highly flammable/combustible.

Hmmn...inside? Combustible substance next to molten lead...err... NO THANKS!