PDA

View Full Version : 980 gr Monolithic Plastijacket Safety Slug

peter nap
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I even gave this one a name:bigsmyl2:

It's just a takeoff on the Triball load but it's a slow day and I'm still mad at the doghunters from yesterday.

I wa suprised to get a three inch, 50 yard group with no load workup at all. 31 grains of Blue Dot.

The thing held together and stabilized (Nice round Hole) out of my Handi USG.

If I get time this week, I'll do some penetration tests and load workup. I'd love to get decent groups at 100 yards.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/pj1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/pj2.jpg

charger 1
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Where you gettin the nice orange wads?

peter nap
11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Where you gettin the nice orange wads?

They are Precision Reloading's 12 Ga. 3" Wads, TUPRW123
I bought them unslit and they are the toughesst thing I've ever seen

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRE&Product_Code=TUPRW123&Category_Code=WADS_PREC_REL_STEEL

SuperBlazingSabots
11-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Hello Peter does the Lyman slug slip in nice and easy or is it a tight fit or very tight. Please comment on it.
Ajay Madan
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

peter nap
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Hello Peter does the Lyman slug slip in nice and easy or is it a tight fit or very tight. Please comment on it.
Ajay Madan

Too tight AJay! It will fit (Skirt) but bulged the wad slightly and the head of the slug is larger yet.

I Didn't feel like making a sizing die so I used a smooth steel bar and rolled a few thousands from the skirt. I left the head as cast.

Dixie slug uses .600 balls but in the slit wads.

SuperBlazingSabots
11-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Hello again Peter I think you might be on to something! Put the slug in the wad with just the bottom like in your picture now measure the wad where the slug band is bulging. Now push the whole slug in the wad with the top slug band in the wad flush that would be 3/16 deeper than in the picture now measure the wad at the top band and at the bottom band now try putting it in a Fiocchi hull and see if it fits easily or tight. Can you please post your findings here. I dont have those wads and wish I had at least some to try out.
Anxiously awaiting your answer.
Thank you.
Ajay Madan

blaster
11-23-2009, 01:48 PM
"980 gr Monolithic Plastijacket Safety Slug" is that like a Glaser Safety 155 Howitzer Round?

peter nap
11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Hello again Peter I think you might be on to something! Put the slug in the wad with just the bottom like in your picture now measure the wad where the slug band is bulging. Now push the whole slug in the wad with the top slug band in the wad flush that would be 3/16 deeper than in the picture now measure the wad at the top band and at the bottom band now try putting it in a Fiocchi hull and see if it fits easily or tight. Can you please post your findings here. I dont have those wads and wish I had at least some to try out.
Anxiously awaiting your answer.
Thank you.
Ajay Madan

I don't have any Fiocchi hulls AJ, but according to BPI, the Multihulls are the same.
It is a snug but not force fit in the hull and does not bulge it..