PDA

View Full Version : need sugestions Boolit lube in mold !

blaser.306
11-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I may have done a "bad" thing to one of my molds , In a pinch I applied the corner of a piece of purple ceresin Boolit lube to the alignment pins of my Lyman287641av 7mm sil mold block and VOILA wrinkled Boolits ,it appears to have worked it's way around one half of the mold , I tried cleaning with a rag then a cotton swab and a little brake cleaner and nothin! any sugestions would be appreciated ( You could even P/M me ) If you dont want to admit to doing such a foolish thing your self in public . Looking forward to nice smooth Boolits , Barclay!

Bullshop
11-22-2009, 02:10 PM
We heat our house solely with wood and often get pitch stuck to the floor from it bleeding out of the wood when its warming up after brought inside.
We have found that a little squirt of WD40 dissolves it so that it wipes right up.
Maybe it would help remove the lube from your mold. The WD40 will clean up easily.
I would get the mold warm first, squirt it with WD40 then let it set for about 10 minutes.
Then I would use acetone on a q-tip to wipe out the cavities.
I say use acetone because I store my molds in WD40 wrapped in shrink wrap and when I get them out for use that is how I clean them.
Its worth a try.
BIC/BS

Edubya
11-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Keep casting. The lube will vaporize and the mould will heat back up just like when you start cast with a too cool mould.
EW

blaser.306
11-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the replies I will give the acetone a try , I am waiting for two G/B molds from NOE and the samples of Bullplate to try , So hopefully I should have no more grief . Thanks for the sugestions Barclay !

Marlin Hunter
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I have used "Goof-Off" with a Q-Tip to clean out wax and oil from the inside of the mold (Lee mold). I do it when the mold is hot. If I put too much wax on the pins while I am casting and it oozes into the cavities, I just grab a Q-tip, dip it in the Goof-Off, then swab the cavities. Cleans up quick. Don't breath the vapors. Usually requires 4 dip-and-swabs or 2 Q-Tips.

afish4570
11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Just finished casting a large batch of Lee GB 30 cal 311041.....Nice mold and happy with the quanity of bullets it produces. Quality is great too. Ran it hot and results improved as I learned its quirks. I put alittle bullplate on it but not sure if I put enough in the right places....I used bullet lube on the alignment pins as per Lee instructions.afish4570:coffeecom:coffeecom

MtGun44
11-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Bullplate is the only lube you need on your mold. The bullet lube burns on and can migrate
more easily. Bullplate on steel alignment pins and esp on the end of mold angled aluminum
faces. Keep the bullet lube for lubing bullets and use a REAL mold lube (Bull Plate Lube) for
the mold, but keep it out of the cavities. Coat the whole bottom face of the sprue plate,
the top of the mold about 1/8-3/16" away from the cavity and the alignment features.

Clean burnt on bullet lube with a dab of Easy off oven cleaner, but be sure to neutralize it with
a bit of vinegar followed by a good long hot water rinse and scrubbing with Comet on a
tooth brush.

Bill