PDA

View Full Version : lee 20 pound pot pouring problems

fredd.sss
11-22-2009, 01:10 AM
I’m having trouble with a new 20 pound lee lead pot. Iv owned 10-pound lee pots and had great luck with them. I decided to get a 20-pound lee lead pot. I adjusted the screw that controls how much lead flows, all I get is thin stream of lead, Its pure lead, the molds are 2 cavity lee 30 cal 150 grain flat nose, after the molds are heated up the bullets still come out with imperfections the driving bands do not form, at a friends house Iv used range lead with the same molds in a lee 10-pound, the bullets come out perfect. Tonight I tried to cast bullets, with the same results. Could pure lead be my problem.
I don’t have the pot full maybe 3 to 4 pounds of lead. When I tried to empty the pot into a ingot mold the flow stopped with maybe 1 or 2 pounds of lead. The flow out of a 10-pound pot is much greater then the 20 pound pot. It’s a little cool outside. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks Fred

d_striker
11-22-2009, 01:36 AM
I’m having trouble with a new 20 pound lee lead pot. Iv owned 10-pound lee pots and had great luck with them. I decided to get a 20-pound lee lead pot. I adjusted the screw that controls how much lead flows, all I get is thin stream of lead, Its pure lead, the molds are 2 cavity lee 30 cal 150 grain flat nose, after the molds are heated up the bullets still come out with imperfections the driving bands do not form, at a friends house Iv used range lead with the same molds in a lee 10-pound, the bullets come out perfect. Tonight I tried to cast bullets, with the same results. Could pure lead be my problem.
I don’t have the pot full maybe 3 to 4 pounds of lead. When I tried to empty the pot into a ingot mold the flow stopped with maybe 1 or 2 pounds of lead. The flow out of a 10-pound pot is much greater then the 20 pound pot. It’s a little cool outside. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks Fred

What's the temp of your lead? My Lee 20 lb pot won't pour unless the temp is at least 700 degrees.

fredd.sss
11-22-2009, 02:00 AM
I have the heat turned up to the highest setting, I tried letting the lead pour from about a inch or putting the sprue plate touching the lead spout, still not getting good bullets. It’s cool outside. Compared to the 10-pound pot and with the flow adjustment screw turned all the way the stream is much smaller than the 10-pound pot, Iv cast my own bullets off and on for 25 years either using a coleman stove and ladle or a lee 10 pound pot, this the first time iv had problems. How big is the stream of lead flowing from your pot, mine is very thin. Thanks for the info. Fred

geargnasher
11-22-2009, 02:34 AM
My 20 lb will shoot a stream that fills a 340-grain mould in under a counted second when wide open and half-full of WW/tin alloy. I've never tried pure lead in the bottom-pour, though, and that might be part of the issue (no tin to help flow by creating an oxide film over the flowing surface of the lead, as I understand it). The stream with the ww alloy is as big as a kitchen match stick, I usually run the pintle at about half capacity to keep from getting ahead of the mould vents during pours.

Have you tried anything other than pure lead in the 20 yet? If your spout freezes just thaw it out with a propane torch.

There may be an issue with the pintle or seat, or possibly the spout got dropped and peened partially closed at the bottom during manufacture or shipment.

Gear

44wcf
11-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I have 2 of the 20 lb bottom pours. Both have good flow. I think your spout is damages or stopped up.
With the melt hot.
Got a real stiff wire and with a pair of vice-grips try pushing it up through the spout.
I do this to mine quit regularly.

Mk42gunner
11-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Fred,

It sounds like there is a blockage of some sort in the spout. Try emptying the pot so you can get to both ends of the spout and work a paperclip or small drill bit through it, then reassemble and try again.

It has been so long since I had mine empty I can't remember if the spout on a twenty pound Lee is straight or not.

Robert

44wcf
11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Fred,

It sounds like there is a blockage of some sort in the spout. Try emptying the pot so you can get to both ends of the spout and work a paperclip or small drill bit through it, then reassemble and try again.

It has been so long since I had mine empty I can't remember if the spout on a twenty pound Lee is straight or not.

Robert
Yes it is straight. I have replaced one of mine.

TAWILDCATT
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
did you say you have 4 lb in the 20 lb pot.fill the pot.pure lead in rifle bullets is not good.save that for BP.you are going to burn out the elements.

jsizemore
11-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Fred, FILL THAT RASCAL UP WITH LEAD. You don't have enough in there to create any pressure. When it's full it'll leak until you stick a nail in it, ala dromia. When it's full, I have the adjustment almost closed to keep lead from flying all over the place. FILL IT UP!!

lwknight
11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
And add a bit if tin to the pure lead. more than 2% is waste It will not make them harder by any noticeable amount and will make the cast and pour a lot better

fredd.sss
11-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys, today I used a propane torch the heat up the spout, still no luck, Ill try all of your recommendations. I going to get 20 to 30 pounds of WW’s and tin solder. After ordering the 20-pound pot I found a 10-pound lee pot for 20 bucks almost new. I just got through casting some 150-grain lee flat nose for my 30 herrett 14 inch contender, using range lead. A good friend let me borrow his 155 grain 312. dia grain lee mold a few times, I had good luck sizing it to .309 dia, getting under 1.5 inch using 12 to 13 grains of 2400 at 100 yards. I have both a .308 and .309 dia lee sizers. Which do you recommend using for the 150 flat nose? Will keep you posted. Thanks again, Fred

XWrench3
11-23-2009, 09:42 AM
i have to continually adjust the pour screw on my 20 pounder as the level drops. the lower the level, the further out i have to turn the screw. low pressure from low amounts of lead needs more opening size. i can completely drain my pot if i turn the screw far enough out. be aware, that if you leave it that far out, and fill the pot, it will likely leak continuously.

nonferrous
11-23-2009, 10:06 AM
As has been said, heat the pour spout and clean it out with a wire or small drill bit and keep the pot over half full.
Get a lead thermometer, trying to cast without it is like driving a car without a speedometer.
Make sure the mold is Hot and start with 700 degrees in the pot.