PDA

View Full Version : Ruger grip frames

Bullshop Junior
11-21-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a Ruger blackhawk that I shoot a-lot. I have really big hands (Really big) so the grip frame from the blackhawk does not fit me real well. So I was wondering if the grip frame from a super blackhawk will fit it. I know that the bisley grip frame will fit it but I don't really like the bisley grip frame.
Any one know if I can make that super grip frame work?
Ideas?

Willbird
11-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I have a super grip frame that originally was on my 45 colt, dad swapped it around to the 30 carbine when he was shooting that gun more. I have both the super hammer and the grip frame, I'm not sure if you need to use them together or not. These are all old model guns, but in that case they do interchange.

Bullshop Junior
11-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Thats another question I had.

Will the super hammer fit the blackhawk?

I am talking New Model

Willbird
11-21-2009, 01:30 PM

I am talking New Model

Not sure on new model, linbaugh might have some info on his page ?? My bet is that they DO interchange....it would make sense from a mfg and design standpoint if they did, just one kind of grip frame to make then.

Bill

McLintock
11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
The Super grip frame will work fine on the Blackhawk, both old model and New Model. You can even put a New Model on the Old Model with a little modification to hold the trigger spring, and they're a lot easier to find and much cheaper; there's one with some other parts on Gunbroker right now, bidding starts at $85, an Old Model in good condition will run $125-50. Either hammer will work fine, but again the Old Model hammer is quite expensive; the NM hammer won't work on the OM.
HH

Bullshop
11-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Gee whiz I was surprised to find this thread originating from right here at this keyboard.
Small world ay!
Anyway my question is does anyone know if the Ruger grip frames will fit the BFR guns?
I have a 475 BFR that has Pachmayer grips and inside the grips it says Ruger Super BH.
Since Jr. does not like the bisley grip and the Pachmayers on the BFR are a bit too large for me I would like to put the bisley grip on the BFR.
I could just pull them and see for sure but well you know the deal.
Anyone done it yet?
BIC/BS

yondering
11-21-2009, 04:00 PM

I am talking New Model

Yes. The Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk/Bisley frames are all the same, regardless of how they're marked. The difference is in the grip, hammer, and trigger. You might have to use the Super Blackhawk hammer with the grip as a matched set, but maybe not. You will of course probably need to do some trigger work if you swap the hammer over.

Weren't you just giving me a hard time a couple days ago for asking about a brake on my Blackhawk, saying you shoot heavy loads all the time "with no problems"? [smilie=s::kidding:
The regular Blackhawk frame is pretty small. I didn't like mine either. The super is better, but really, the Bisley has the best profile for recoil absorption. It may look funny but it works really well.

Bullshop Junior
11-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Weren't you just giving me a hard time a couple days ago for asking about a brake on my Blackhawk, saying you shoot heavy loads all the time "with no problems"? [smilie=s::kidding:

I do, But I never have liked this grip frame.

peter nap
11-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Gee whiz I was surprised to find this thread originating from right here at this keyboard.
Small world ay!
Anyway my question is does anyone know if the Ruger grip frames will fit the BFR guns?
I have a 475 BFR that has Pachmayer grips and inside the grips it says Ruger Super BH.
Since Jr. does not like the bisley grip and the Pachmayers on the BFR are a bit too large for me I would like to put the bisley grip on the BFR.
Anyone done it yet?
BIC/BS

Good question Bullshop. I want to put the plain Jane walnut grips on my BFR, but I don't think they'll fit. I know Hogue/Ruger grips won't without a LOT of fitting.

leadeye
11-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Modify your frame to suit your hands, I did.

Heavy lead
11-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Small world ay!
Anyone done it yet?
BIC/BS

Yessssssssssssssssss! I hate the BFR gripframe and love the Ruger Bisley frame, my .475 now and has for the last 2 years wears a Bisley and it is even a finer handgun IMO. You will have to modify the holes in the frame slightly to take the screws for the BFR, but it will work and good. The only problem (it is not much of a problem and causes myself no issues, but may some) is that the Bisley grip frame in front of the trigger tapers and the BFR does not, so a sharp edge from the BFR frame might want to be struck off if you are so inclined. I did not do this and have no ill effects.

Skipper
11-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Bullshop Junior, I have a .45 Colt New Model Blackhawk with the steel Super Blackhawk grip frame, trigger and hammer. It works very well and the exchange is straight forward.
You'll need the frame, trigger and hammer as well as a set of Super grips.

You may have to do some fitting of the grip frame surface where it mates to the revolver frame. While you're at it, add the steel ejector housing, too.

Ekalb2000
11-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Skip,
where did you get your parts?
I also hate the small frame on my .357.

Rico1950
11-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Midway has the parts.

peter nap
11-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Yessssssssssssssssss! I hate the BFR gripframe and love the Ruger Bisley frame, my .475 now and has for the last 2 years wears a Bisley and it is even a finer handgun IMO. You will have to modify the holes in the frame slightly to take the screws for the BFR, but it will work and good. The only problem (it is not much of a problem and causes myself no issues, but may some) is that the Bisley grip frame in front of the trigger tapers and the BFR does not, so a sharp edge from the BFR frame might want to be struck off if you are so inclined. I did not do this and have no ill effects.

Great:kidding:

Now I have something else to spend money on.[smilie=b:

yondering
11-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Modify your frame to suit your hands, I did.

Where did you find the brass grip frame? Did you make it? A machinist friend of mine is making his own brass grip frame for a SAA style gun.

EDK
11-22-2009, 01:45 AM
If you have to buy a new grip frame, consider buying a HUNTER from Ruger...about $130. All of the virtues of the DRAGOON, but none of its' alleged flaws for knuckle dusting, etc. The SUPER BLACKHAWK hammer is pretty much a drop in fit. I had HUNTER/DRAGOON grip frames on a bunch of Original Size VAQUEROS....much, much better.

You might try a set of flat bottom custom grips also. I can use the XR3-RED grip frame with EAGLE GRIPS Gunfighter model almost as comfortably as the larger grip frames....almost!

Almost all my guns are 5.5 inch Rugers...either HUNTER/DRAGOON or BISLEY grip frames on BLACKHAWKS or Original Size VAQUEROS. I like John Taffin's ideas on Perfect Packin' Pistols.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Skipper
11-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Skip,
where did you get your parts?

I got them at GPC about 15 years ago

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=8346

Bullshop Junior
11-23-2009, 01:02 AM
After looking at it, I AM NOT SPENDING $150 ON A GRIP FRAME!! NO WAY!! I don't have that kind of money. I am trying to make payments on a truck.

So I spent all day and make my self a set of WAY OVER SIZED MOOSE ANTLER GRIPS!!

I like them. WAY better!
I will try to post pics some time but my computer is to slow to down load pics right now.

Bullshop Junior
11-23-2009, 02:15 AM
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr305/bullshopjunior/MY%20GUNS/IMG_0808.jpg

leftiye
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice grips, do you have the harder outside (ivory?) bone at the surfaces?

The Pachmayer grippers, and deceleratores are the same design (the decelerators are softer). AND they wrap clear around the frame (making it bigger)! I have the decelerators on my SBH, and really like them. The softer rubber grips your hand you could say. Your hand doesn't slide around with each firing. I've also got a Bisley, with homemade finger groove grips on it, and I'd take the decelerators in a heartbeat as being just as good.

frank505
11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
with a steel grip frame and a mig welder you can move the trigger guard forward a little and even make it bigger for big fingers and gloves. I will try to post some pics of what we've done on three of them. we have been usuing those lovely hogue grips for some time with a little grinding, very pretty if function is what your after. i gave up on pretty along time ago, if i cant shoot the durn thing it aint very pretty is it?

hunter64
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Just get over sized grips for it, the Pachmayer grips were too small (the over sized ones) so I bought some off of ebay for 45 bucks and they make a world of difference. They have finger grooves and are about 1 inch longer and at least 1/2 wider than the frame and make a world of difference in the feel and comfort.

You can also learn how to shoot the black hawk the correct way as in how the cowboys did it (so I have read) with the pinky under the frame. You will have way less felt recoil and no busted knuckles but the only problem is if you are bench resting for accuracy than it is a little hard to do.

Here is a link for those who want to put a new model frame on an old model revolver, not what you need but good info on how to convert the trigger return spring. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/3631549

Bullshop Junior
11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
The thing is I HAVE NO MONEY! Not that much any way. I am making payments on a truck and every penny is going into that. So I made the over sized antler grips. I was able to fit them to my hand and I really like them. I cant afford the Pachmayers, so I cant buy them. Home made stuff works good enough for me.

Doughty
11-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I think you've got the right idea Jr. Hang in there. Wish our government thought the same way.

John Taylor
11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Ruger did make some brass grip frames at one time. I had an early old army three digit S/N with brass grip frame. Thought it was funny to have a 45 with a S/N of 357. Wish I still had it.

McLintock
11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
But the brass grip frame from Ruger was for Old Models only and you'd have to really modify them to make them work on a New Model. They're so expensive to buy unless you're really lucky that modifying them would be crazy. I sold two of them with grips and the wide trigger that they use, for right at $400 each, earlier this year; the grip frame alone goes for about $325, so not too many people try to put them on a NM.
McLintock

Bullshop Junior
11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
There is a place that sells after marker brass grip frames, but I do not know the name of the place. I know a guy that bought one and I think he said he paid $60 and it fit right on his NM. I think he said it was designed for the Ruger old army.

DanWalker
03-24-2010, 11:52 PM
So, A standard blackhawk gripframe will fit my BFR with just the screw hole mods then?