PDA

View Full Version : Best SA Revolver For A Noobie???

ZakAttackMan
11-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm just starting to get into casting and am looking for a SA revolver that would be inexpensive to plink, cast and reload for? Something that I could shoot several hundred rounds through every weekend. So reliability is also high on my demands.

I was considering the Ruger Convertible Models I like the interchangeability of caliber but know nothing of its quality and reliability. Or even a Blackhawk in .44 MAG or .45 LC. I currently own a .44 MAG Desert Eagle and have a bunch of brass for it but was thinking shooting something like a .38 SPL would give me more bang for my $.

JesterGrin_1
11-20-2009, 07:08 PM
You can not go wrong with a Ruger. But when you say inexpensive then I would think the best way to go would be the .357 Mag as there are molds for it from the very light Wad Cutter up to and beyound 180Gr but these are still lighter than a slug for a .44. So if you go with the .357 you can stretch your lead use as well as the amount of powder needed. The only thing that really does not change is the primers as for cost.

And to stretch your shooting more then you could go with a fast powder such as Unique,TightGroup or any number of other powders.

targetshootr
11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
You can get a used Ruger single action for $400, sometimes less, and you won't lose money if you sell it. Best value out there, imo.

NickSS
11-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I bought a used ruger black hawk in stainless about 8 months ago for $350 and it shoots great. I have been shooting it regularly with a Lee 125 gr RF bullet and 3.5 gr of WST in 38 spl cases. It is accurate out to 50 yards and is very cost friendly per shot fired both in lead and powder.

jhrosier
11-20-2009, 09:02 PM
You can load a .44 down to .357 levels but you can't load a .357 up to .44 mag levels.

http://images19.fotki.com/v359/photos/5/590147/2786028/RugerSuperBlackhawk-vi.jpg

My favorite .44 Super Blackhawk

Jack

R.C. Hatter
11-20-2009, 10:56 PM
:violin: I believe the absolute best choice for a new Single Action revolver shooter is a Ruger. I have owned all manner of Rugers from the .22 Bearcat to the .44 Super Blackhawk since the late 50's and have found them to be strong, reliable, and for the most part, accurate. As has been previously stated, you can load a .44 Magnum, or even the .45 Long Colt, down to rather sedentary velocities. On the other hand, a .357 Magnum cannot be loaded to match top end .44 or 45 Colt loads. I would much rather err on the "too much" side as opposed to "too little", but that is your call to make.

Ekalb2000
11-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Go with the 44. And if you still feel the need, get the 357 convertable later (if you have kids).

pmeisel
11-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Flame suit on, but I have never felt under-gunned with a 357. Have shot the bigger stuff, its fine, but the 357 does everything I need to do.

azrednek
11-20-2009, 11:54 PM
was thinking shooting something like a .38 SPL would give me more bang for my $.

If you're economy minded a Ruger 357 is hard to beat. 38 brass is cheap and you can get many more shots out of a pound of lead and powder. If you need it for for official business the 357 is deadly.

jh45gun
11-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Flame Suit on: Rugers are good if you get a good one but there are some bad ones out there too I would pick a Uberti which is what I did after owning some good Rugers and some Bad ones.

Throckmorton
11-21-2009, 12:35 AM
flame suit on here also
I have Ubertis'a and Rugers,and the metal in a Uberit will never stand the test of time like the metal in a Ruger will. I"ve have mine apart several times over the years,and the wear SHOWS on the Ubertis',not on the Rugers.

back on point...
the .357 Ruger is tough to beat for just plain ol' shooting.And you can make that .357 CRACK if the need arises.But,for economy,the .357/.38 ammo is the way to go.
imho,ymmv,etc

ZakAttackMan
11-21-2009, 03:35 AM
I already have a .44 MAG and don’t really need all of that power for plinking.

The reason I like the Ruger convertible .357 9MM is that it will give me 3 calibers I could shoot, 357 MAG, 9MM, 38 SPL. That seems really nice, I could gain so much info and learn how to reload and cast for 3 different calibers, all out of 1 gun.

I've read that shooting .38 SPL through a .357 MAG can gunk up your cylinders and is a Pain to Clean.

Bottom line is I just want something that is reliable and can take abuse, doesn't have to have much knockdown power (the paper wont mind).

dualsport
11-21-2009, 04:08 AM
There you go, Get the convertible. You'll have a lot of cheap fun, and plenty of punch if you need it. See ya at the range. By the way, it's no big deal to clean your chambers now and then after shooting .38s, everybody does it. You can buy Wolf 9mm pretty cheap too, just for cheap blasting.

azrednek
11-21-2009, 04:20 AM
I already have a .44 MAG and don’t really need all of that power for plinking.

The reason I like the Ruger convertible .357 9MM is that it will give me 3 calibers I could shoot, 357 MAG, 9MM, 38 SPL. That seems really nice, I could gain so much info and learn how to reload and cast for 3 different calibers, all out of 1 gun.

The reason I bought the 357/9MM convertible way back in the 70's. Surplus 9MM ammo at near give away prices was being sold. The low cost 9MM was for sub-machine guns. It was way to hot and the primers to hard for 9MM pistols but the Ruger handled it just fine.

I've read that shooting .357 through a .38 SPL can gunk up your cylinders and is a Pain to Clean.

I think you meant that the other way around, 38 through a 357. If I can't clean it out easily I soak the front of the cylinder over night in automatic trans fluid. Usually brushes right out the next day. Recently I used PB Blaster and it cleaned up with minimal brushing.

Bottom line is I just want something that is reliable and can take abuse, doesn't have to have much knockdown power (the paper wont mind).

My argument is, targets never return fire. There are many good single action revolvers besides Ruger. Best thing about Ruger though is service and parts will be available and reliable for many years. Service and parts on foreign made might be a bit iffy 10 or 20 years from now.

/////

ZakAttackMan
11-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks fixed the 357 38 SPL error.

jh45gun
11-21-2009, 11:58 AM
flame suit on here also
I have Ubertis'a and Rugers,and the metal in a Uberit will never stand the test of time like the metal in a Ruger will. I"ve have mine apart several times over the years,and the wear SHOWS on the Ubertis',not on the Rugers.

back on point...
the .357 Ruger is tough to beat for just plain ol' shooting.And you can make that .357 CRACK if the need arises.But,for economy,the .357/.38 ammo is the way to go.
imho,ymmv,etc

Just curious how that wear would compare to a vintage Colt? Before I bought my Uberti I did some web research and lots of guys who used them for the Cowboy shooting sports ect said they put all sorts of rounds through theirs and never had any issues and their guns were holding up well. I am not worried about mine as while I will shoot it often I will not come close to the rounds that the cowboy action guys do with their guns. You know a few years ago every one was bashing Henry Lever guns saying they would never hold up and they were not like a Marlin 39 or a Winchester model 9422 ect. Well then guys who had Erma 22 lever guns and Ithica Lever guns (not the single shot) and Iver Johnson lever guns which were all the same model gun that the Henry is today started saying about all the rounds they put through their guns and they were still going strong and all of a sudden the naysayers shut up as they were proven wrong. Now I am not saying that a Ruger is not strong it is, but I suspect a Uberti will last most folks a lifetime worth of shooting for the average shooter maybe even more so. Sure you cannot hot rod a Uberti but I have no desire to do so anyway a standard 45 colt load is all I will ever need for killing a white tail or other critters.

Bucks Owin
11-21-2009, 02:38 PM
flame suit on here also

back on point...
imho,ymmv,etc
I agree 100%. The Colt clones are subject to the same ills the genuine artical has, much as I love the SAA Colt. The Rugers are built like tanks. A .357 Blackhawk gets my vote and if you get a convertible fine, altho' I doubt the 9mm cylinder will set any accuracy records. Iffn' it was me I'd watch the auctions and gun shops for a "reasonably" priced Old Model "3 screw" (while there are still some around "uncustomized" to .44 Spl etc. [smilie=l: ) Even a blueless, battle scarred veteran will still shoot fine and likely be built "better" than some of the new Rugers IMO. Too bad the price of OM Rugers (ALL guns!) is going up thanks to B. Hussein, but then again it'll probably be worth as much or even more down the road.. .357's are frugal to reload, fun to shoot, and can do 90% of what any handgun can do.....Skeeter believed that and I do too. JMO, Dennis (The .45 LC/ACP is an excellent choice too but a little harder on the lead supply....)

jh45gun
11-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree 100%. The Colt clones are subject to the same ills the genuine artical has, much as I love the SAA Colt.

OK I suspected that and since many old Colts are still being used and loved even though worn I am not too worried about shooting my Uberti.

Put it this way the gun is probably up for more rounds than I can afford to put through it even with reloading.

jh45gun
11-21-2009, 05:46 PM
. Iffn' it was me I'd watch the auctions and gun shops for a "reasonably" priced Old Model "3 screw" (while there are still some around "uncustomized" to .44 Spl etc. [smilie=l: ) Even a blueless, battle scarred veteran will still shoot fine and likely be built "better" than some of the new Rugers IMO.

I do agree with that I think the older ones were built better too and my expirience with all things Ruger showed me that. The Older Single Six and 44 Blackhawk I had were wonderful guns. I wish I would have kept them. I cannot say that for the replacements I bought to replace that years later.

missionary5155
11-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Good evening
Ruger in either a 44 or 41 Mag. Me I prefer the 41 as I have been with them 25 years now. There just is not any real power difference. BUT there are more easy to come by 44 options in molds so go 44. BUT again I have had real bad shooting 44's BUT only 1 mediocre shooting 41. So ..... get a 44 from someone you know. Some used 44's out there are worn out beyond real help. New... NO Problem.

eli
11-22-2009, 12:28 AM
I'll also suggest a Super Blackhawk in .44. You can load up .44 Russian, Special, and Magnum and a Keith 250 grain bullet will serve well enough in all three cases.

Eli

G- Unit
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
the ruger blackhawk chambered for 357 mag, will shoot 38spl or 357 mag