View Full Version : S&W firing pin "bushing"

BD
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi All,

I have a M37 J frame that I carry all the time. The issue is off center firing pin strikes. Before I went to NY, this revolver was near 100% reliable using federal small pistol primers, despite the off center firing pin strike. Now that I can't find the federals, that reliability is much lower. Upon inspection it looks like the small round slotted bushing that aligns the firing pin as the hammer lands is worn. This allows the firing pin to strike the primer somewhat randomly, occasionally off center enough that it doesn't pop the cap.

Anyone know what's involved in replacing that bushing?

BD

Dan Cash
11-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Contact S&W. They will make the repair and do right by you.
Dan

Catshooter
11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
37s are alloy frame, correct? That bushing would be pressed into place. You would need fixturing that would hold and support the frame so that it wouldn't distort in any way while you drive out the old and press in the new. Got one? :)

I would go the factory route. I think it's post '86 guns that are lifetime warrentied for life. They'll even pay shipping both ways.

I'm a fair hand as a pistol smith but I wouldn't touch it.

Cat

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 07:47 PM
A new firing pin bushing, as that is called, is available from Gun Parts Co for $7.95.

Really doesn't sound like a hard item change out to me.

Joe

BD
11-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I was hoping to find someone who'd done this before. This is an older M37 air weight, and does not have the cross pin fixed bushing of the later models. This bushing is installed from the cylinder side and looks "crimped" in. I'm wary of sending it to S&W as the word from the S&W forum is: "Send in an old frame with no lock, get back a new frame with a lock". S&W probably won't like the bobbed hammer either. Maybe I'm an anomaly, The guys on the S&W forum talk about a couple of thousand rounds like it is a lot. I've been carrying this for 10 years, and putting at least 50 rounds a month through it. That's about 6,000 rounds, (probably more), and I bought it used. Could be it's worn out and I should buy another one?

Sucks, as this gun puts them where I point it, and has the best trigger I own. I'll try and get a picture of the issue tomorrow. I don't know if my little digital camera will focus in that close.
BD

StarMetal
11-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I was hoping to find someone who'd done this before. This is an older M37 air weight, and does not have the cross pin fixed bushing of the later models. This bushing is installed from the cylinder side and looks "crimped" in. I'm wary of sending it to S&W as the word from the S&W forum is: "Send in an old frame with no lock, get back a new frame with a lock". S&W probably won't like the bobbed hammer either. Maybe I'm an anomaly, The guys on the S&W forum talk about a couple of thousand rounds like it is a lot. I've been carrying this for 10 years, and putting at least 50 rounds a month through it. That's about 6,000 rounds, (probably more), and I bought it used. Could be it's worn out and I should buy another one?

Sucks, as this gun puts them where I point it, and has the best trigger I own. I'll try and get a picture of the issue tomorrow. I don't know if my little digital camera will focus in that close.
BD

BD,

Why don't you just call S&W up and ask them questions you want answers too. Ask them about the non lockable frame, etc..

My best friend just sent back an light frame 22 magnum. It would only fire like 2-3 rounds out of a cylinder full. They sent him a free shipping coupon, he sent it, got it back in record breaking time fixed. They said something about a cylinder bushing on his. Cost him nothing, he was surprised as he had a bad experience with them sending a 460 caliber Smith back.

Joe