PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Trace Laser sights for K/L&N frame S&W

TDC
11-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Has anyone used a Crimson Trace Laser sight on an N or K/L frame S&W.

If so I'm wondering how accurate the sight adjustment is out to 100 yds.. I'm thinking about using one for close range very early morning and late evening predator hunting...

Thanks!

Edubya
11-20-2009, 07:11 AM
You'll not see the light at that distance, at 25 yds I can barely detect mine.
EW

Doughty
11-20-2009, 09:57 AM
How far you can see the "dot" depends so much upon ambient light conditions and how good your vision is. On a clear dark night I can see mine out to a hundred yards. I normally sight them in at 50 yards, but plan on using them at more like 25 yards. I can say that at about 20 yards they are fast and deadly on bear. I've got them on an N frame, Ruger single action revolvers, and a 1911. Wish they made them in a nice high quality "ivory" and for the Bisley grip.

TDC
11-20-2009, 02:00 PM
The only place I've had a chance to check them is indoors at a store. There they seem adequate and clearly readable out to about 50 to 75 yds indoors. The bright light conditions outdoors after sunrise or before sunset would obviously be a problem but how much is the question.

If anyone has experience with a similar product that has a more intense laser beam I'd appreciate some info and advice.

This particular grip has a provision for adjustment of both windage and elevation... Any comments on how consistent or accurate this sight arrangement is?

Thanks!

walker77
11-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I have one on my 357 j frame, it doesnt move. But in the middle of the day, you arnt going to see it past 10 yards or so. They are great for night time self defense. Your best bet would be going with a green laser. You will see those out further. Mine on my ar is rated for a mile at night time. But i havent seen a green one built into the grip yet.

Gohon
11-20-2009, 06:38 PM
The two sets I have, one on a S&W J frame and one on a 1911 are both sighted in at 50 feet. Even in bright sunlight they are still very visible out at 25 yards. The real problem though is trying to find that little red dot at long distance. You almost always have to look down the regular sights to pick up the red dot at long distance because it disappears into the wild blue yonder until moved onto the target or some kind of back stop. Once you do that it is okay. They really aren't made for hunting but work great for their intended purpose of personal defense out to 40-60 feet.

TDC
11-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the reply's .... I checked one out again this afternoon and could see the limitations beyond 50 yards, even in darkness.

The company indicates the dot covers 1/2" at 50 feet. That would mean about 1 to 2" at 100ft and about 5 to 8" at 100 yards. That projected dot size approximation was confirmed inside the store at 65 yards. Indoors the dot was very distinct and bright. They agreed the dot was extremely difficult to see in bright or direct sunlight.

Most of my hunting would be from pitch darkness to very early daylight or late sundown. Most of the shooting is from 10 to 30 yards for Coyotes, Foxes and Bobcats.

I hate to carry a scoped handgun and that's what I use now. But if a laser won't be workable I'll go with the scope. The price for the laser is $229. I don't want to go that route if it won't work but it sure sounds like a great option to be able to use at night and have the use of open sights available if needed...

I'm still checking on the legality of a lighted sight for non-game predators in my state. No one seems to have a clue at this point... I'll be checking with state police game officers tomorrow...

Thanks again....:drinks:

Dale53
11-21-2009, 12:39 AM
I think you will be better served by a good Red Dot Sight.

Dale53

Three44s
11-21-2009, 01:10 AM
My favorite red dot sight is the Bushnell Holosight. I have two of them and they are dynamite on revolvers and rifles for close to medium range.

I have a laser ...... a cheap one ......... the BSA ....... and I can easily see 250 yds plus at night and 150 yds in low light would be a piece of cake ...... daylight you are luck to see 15 yds or so ....... very back ground sensitive.

BUT last winter I got a bad surprise with it ..........

........ in just sub freezing weather ........... it DIED!

After returning to room temp ..... it came back ........... so beware!

Three 44s