PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro Auto Disc

philthephlier
11-20-2009, 01:25 AM
I recently bought a Lee Classic turret press and a Pro Auto Disc dispenser. I then discovered, as have many before me, that I needed the riser to prime on the press.
However the stem inside the riser wasn't long enough to fully articulate the disc so the hole in the disc ended up directly over the hole in the dispenser which drops the powder into the case. I did'nt know that until I called Lee and described the problem to them and they had me measure the length of the stem in the riser. They said they would send me a replacement riser I assume with a longer stem. I wonder how many others have encountered the same problem. While waiting for the new stem I decided to use the dispenser as is without the riser and primed off the press so it would fit. I discovered that the unit will dispense extremely consistent charges only if the turret is allowed to rotate through all four stations to permit powder settling before dropping powder in the next case. If I tried to charge a case without full rotations of the turret the disc would be far less consistent and almost always .4-.5 grains less than a full rotation charge. Have others encountered the same thing. I was dropping 8 grains of Unique for 45 Colt.

GP100man
11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I took the orings out to get the disc over the hole & modified one AD with a round file , oblonged the hole to assure to get the disc over the hole.

Hope this helps even if a little!

I have no exp with the pro but principle is the same on both powder droppers.

35remington
11-22-2009, 01:13 PM
phil, the Auto Disk will drop consistent charges either way, but comparing static to revolving operation is asking for variance, as the flake type powders are especially susceptible to vibration type settling. I do not find revolving operation to be more consistent than static operation in my own use, just heavier in thrown weight. As long as you do things the same way every time, thrown charges will be consistent.

Below 3.5 grains, do not use large flake type powders (Unique, Red Dot, 700X, Clays) in the smaller cavities that dispense this amount or less. The flakes bridge in the cavities (even revolved) and will throw squibs.

Just something to be aware of.

BTW, SR4759 is considered to be a poorly metering powder, but using the .61 and .66 CC cavities with that powder in my 25-20 loads, thrown weights are 6.0 and 6.5 grains respectively, and I find good consistency and low variation.

Incidentally, the rifle charging die body supplied with some calibers is too long to get full travel out of the disc. Disc travel improved to allow the hole over the drop tube when I used my 45 ACP die body, which is short, with my 25-20 cases.

geargnasher
11-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Check this out: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63913

Gear