PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with some of these companies!

Changeling
11-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I went to Natchez to order a set of Redding steel dies for the 45 LC ($32.00). They wanted 15.00 to ship them!!!!!!!

Where do you guys order from?

jack19512
11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Where do you guys order from?

I don't know if the shipping is any better but I order my stuff from Midway.

Jack Stanley
11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
In addition to Natchez , I use Graf & Sons , Lock Stock and Barrel , Midway for most of the stuff I get . Brownell's also comes to mind as well , typically I'll wait untill I have a wish list a couple hundred dollars long and the shipping doesn't seem so bad .

Jack

jack19512
11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I had just ordered some things from Midway so I went to the site to find out how much the shipping was.

1.Lee 30-06 3 die set
2.Lee 30-06 factory crimp die
3.Lee 4 hole turrent
4.Lee 45 LC case length gauge
5.Lee 30-06 case length gauge

Postage, handling & insurance was $7.73.

anachronism
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
See if you can find someone who will mail your order instead of using UPS. UPS has all sorts of surcharges that drive freight costs up. BTW, you'd be happier with carbide dies over steel. they're worth the extra cost. Mine are Hornady, which use a plated insert & are less expensive than actual carbide.

Andy Griffith
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
:Local dealer will order them for me. Always cheaper than the mail order sites enen after tax.

If your local guy is any good, give him a shot.

DevilDog83
11-19-2009, 09:04 PM
I buy from both Midway and Natchez, both companies are OUTSTANDING in customer service, shipping rates are what they are, buy with friends and offset the shipping

DevilDog83
11-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Great point Andy, support the shops that help us out!!!

mike in co
11-19-2009, 09:07 PM
most people do not consider there is a cost to the business for materials, handle and package prior to the actual shipping cost.

having said that, i think the 15 is excessive.

some places have a fee if the order is small.....

while i liked the old midway shipped pricing, the current process allows you to pick your shipping method and cost.....yes the total cost is higher than the "just" shipping cost...see opening statement.

i use midway and graf and son, sinclair and brownells......i am a dealer at those so i may see somethings different than the retail customer.

and i second the call for carbide dies. unless you are shooting 50 rounds a year, me thinks you will be much happier with something other than steel dies. heck, go get a lee loader from midway for less if you want steel.

mike in co

Le Loup Solitaire
11-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Try MidSouth Shooters Supply. They have always charged minimum or the way you want it to go and are fair and square about it. LLS

alamogunr
11-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Try MidSouth Shooters Supply. They have always charged minimum or the way you want it to go and are fair and square about it. LLS

There's a plug for MidSouth in Dec American Rifleman. I agree but don't often order since I live in Tennessee and have to pay the 9¾% sales tax. Sort of bugs me since I'm only about a 100 mi from them.

John
W.TN

jh45gun
11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
I also order from my local dealer he gets the stuff in for me and the prices seem about the same and since he gets more than one item the shipping charge is not much.

ole 5 hole group
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I just recieved an order from Sinclair that included a die set and their shipping has been $10.50 for my last several orders - must be a set rate?

HammerMTB
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I just ordered from Graf & sons yesterday.
Handling and such was under $5.
It may be more if your order is under $25 or so, but I can't seem to pare my habit down that small. :bigsmyl2:

Ed K
11-20-2009, 08:52 AM
When ordering mail-order I can understand a shipping charge although it should be for the actual cost to send. Handling is what I don't get. When I do to a retail shop and the price on an item is marked $20, it doesn't jump to $25 when it gets placed on the counter. At mail order houses is seems we get charged for them to move the item from one place to another in their building. The item is advertised for $20 but you can't really have one for that price...

NVScouter
11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I just recieved my latest Natchez order of 2 moulds, a sizer die, and expander die. Shipping was $8.00 from TN to NV.

Where do you live at it would be $15 for a die set?

I have used Midsouth before and had unknown back order issues and poor comunications. Midway is slightly better.

Most stuff I try and get local. Just ask a shop can get about anything.

Primers/powder I go through Powder valley or Natchez.

Bucks Owin
11-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I also order from my local dealer he gets the stuff in for me and the prices seem about the same and since he gets more than one item the shipping charge is not much. Agreed, and it helps keep him in business! Allowing a gun shop to make a buck or two off you and being able to eyeball or maybe exchange something is worth it IMO. There's also no shipping damage to fret about occasionally....Dennis

Changeling
11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I buy from both Midway and Natchez, both companies are OUTSTANDING in customer service, shipping rates are what they are, buy with friends and offset the shipping

No shipping rates are not what they are. Some of these companies are adding to what there actual shipping is and consider it additional profit. I know this for a fact!

stubshaft
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
I just ordered from Graf & sons yesterday.
Handling and such was under $5.
It may be more if your order is under $25 or so, but I can't seem to pare my habit down that small. :bigsmyl2:

The last order I placed with Graf & Sons, postage was listed at $4.95. This was the amount I approved when I placed my order. When I received it they had bumped it up to $18.95! Needless to say this was the last time I ordered from them.

I am tired of companies subsidizing their profit margin my using inflated postage rates. From now on I order primarily from Midway. They ship using flat rate boxes and save me a bunch.

jack19512
11-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Some of these companies are adding to what there actual shipping is and consider it additional profit. I know this for a fact!

We could be talking about E-bay here. They are very bad for doing this. At least a lot of them on E-bay are. I ordered a mold one time off E-bay and the shipping quote was like $12.00 and when I got it in the mail the postage was a little over $3.00. This was before I learned about this practice. If you don't believe me go on E-bay and find identical items from different vendors, sometimes the shipping will be two to three times the cost from one to another.

Who's this Guy ?
11-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Call Redding directly 607-753-3331. I think they will sell directly, at least they use to. It may be cheaper all around price wise and shipping.

Changeling
11-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't know if the shipping is any better but I order my stuff from Midway.

Thanks Jack, I just ordered from Midway as you suggested I check out. Shipping was $7.00 bucks, even thats bad enough but it sure as hell beats Natchez wanting $15.00!
Eventually everyone will catch on to this type of scam.
Thanks.

mike in co
11-20-2009, 10:46 PM
No shipping rates are not what they are. Some of these companies are adding to what there actual shipping is and consider it additional profit. I know this for a fact!

he said companies, we are talking a couple of KNOWN reloading companies...not ebay bs.

again..it is not profit.....who paid the guy to pull your order, who printed the order if you did it on line, who took your order if you called it in ?, who packaged your order ? who did the shipping lable ? who paid for the shipping/order taking supplies ? who paid for the internet service to take your online order ?

so the next time you calim it is "additional profit" look at the whole picture....

mike in co

azrednek
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
From now on I order primarily from Midway. They ship using flat rate boxes and save me a bunch.

There must have been a change in policy. About a year ago Midway told me they did not use the USPS flat rate boxes.

Blammer
11-20-2009, 11:40 PM
YEP, Midway had a big promo saying they are using the FRB's now. :)

mike in co
11-21-2009, 01:03 AM
There must have been a change in policy. About a year ago Midway told me they did not use the USPS flat rate boxes.

go do a phoney order on thier site....wwhen you get to shipping there is 6-7 options...for most items( hazmat, liquids, etc are diff)

mike in co

38 Super Auto
11-21-2009, 01:28 AM
again..it is not profit.....who paid the guy to pull your order, who printed the order if you did it on line, who took your order if you called it in ?, who packaged your order ? who did the shipping lable ? who paid for the shipping/order taking supplies ? who paid for the internet service to take your online order ?

The point is that S/H should represent the cost of shipping or shipping + a box and a label.

One can make the same point about a brick and mortar storefront: who pays for the guy to receive the shipment, who pays for the guy to move the box from the dock to the aisles, who pays for the guy to stock the shelves: who pays for the guy to help you find your item: who pays for the guy to ring up your purchase? These things should be built into the price of the product. Hiding or misrepresenting the price of shipping is an old tired and work out trick that should have expired with the popeil's pocket fishermen or the ronco bass-o-matic

What we are looking for here is a fair price for a product. You know, like they used to do before the advent of confiscatory government taxation on every single item or service performed on God's green earth and before marketing and merchandising experts.

The beauty of capitalism is that WE get to choose what WE want to pay. If WE deem it's priced too high, then it's too high. (For now: see obamacare)

If I think a store is gouging me, I ask if that is the best price that he can do or I just take my shopping dollars elsewhere. If a merchant treats me fairly and respectfully, I will be a repeat customer.

There is a continuum from the high volume low profit/item Wal-mart model to the "I want to sell one gun per week" mindset. There are many things such as service, personal relationships, and others things that affect our buying decisions. I personally like value.

Cheers,

jack19512
11-21-2009, 09:09 AM
he said companies, we are talking a couple of KNOWN reloading companies...not ebay bs.

Get off your high horse. If you are referring to my post it was used only in comparison to the op's topic which was excessive shipping charges if I am correct.

Shiloh
11-21-2009, 09:49 AM
In addition to Natchez , I use Graf & Sons , Lock Stock and Barrel , Midway for most of the stuff I get . Brownell's also comes to mind as well , typically I'll wait untill I have a wish list a couple hundred dollars long and the shipping doesn't seem so bad .

Jack

I do the same. Shipping has really gone up in the last couple of years.
All of the companies we shooters get supplies from have raised prices.

Natchez rates seem a little steep. Been a while since I got anything from them.

Shiloh

mike in co
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
The point is that S/H should represent the cost of shipping or shipping + a box and a label.

Cheers,

the term is shipping and HANDLING......so you get to decide that there is no COST in his business for HANDLING ?

I CERTAINLY ADMIRE HOW LIBERAL SOME OF YOU ARE WITH SOMEONE ELSE'S BUSINESS.

start one of your own, and do not account for "handling"...and see how far you get.
i got out of the internet sales business because cost of "handling" was killing me in time and cost.

mike in co

mike in co
11-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Get off your high horse. If you are referring to my post it was used only in comparison to the op's topic which was excessive shipping charges if I am correct.

jack..i agree there are lots of shipping scam's on flea bay...WHEN i did business there, no listed fixed shipping/handling cost, no bid.

BUT this thread was about business to consumer shipping costs.....not fleabay scams.....

read it your way. i'll read it mine, ok ??

mike

jack19512
11-21-2009, 11:28 AM
jack..i agree there are lots of shipping scam's on flea bay...WHEN i did business there, no listed fixed shipping/handling cost, no bid.

BUT this thread was about business to consumer shipping costs.....not fleabay scams.....

read it your way. i'll read it mine, ok ??

mike

Last time I was on "fleabay" there were businesses there, not just individuals. I thought this topic was about businesses using shipping charges to pocket more profit. At least that was how I read it. Doesn't sound to me like it was OK with you how I read it! No need to have to feel so superior to others to make your point. Like you said, "read it your way. i'll read it mine, ok ??" I didn't criticize your post all I ask is that you let others post without having to deal with your superior knowledge and intellect.

anachronism
11-21-2009, 12:05 PM

so the next time you calim it is "additional profit" look at the whole picture....

mike in co

This is essentially what I had already posted, then deleted. Mike just said it a lot nicer. I am in the internet/mail order business, and some of you simply don't understand what it costs to provide the services & conveniences customers demand. This is why so many of our goods come from China & other nations. If you can't make enough profit to defray your costs, all of them, you're history. This is why so many people are out of work in this country today. To compete with the cut-rate outlets, retailers have to lower their costs. This comes in part from hiring lesser expensive employees, so customer service often suffers, or simply offering cheaper products of lesser quality. Shipping departments are often black holes for money in any business. They don't generate any revenues at all, but are a necessity of almost any business. As Mike said, there are a lot of costs involved.

jh45gun
11-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Not all but I think some companies make an extra few bucks under the shipping and handling fee which is why there is a difference in what some charge. So yea I think there is room for complaint!

Changeling
11-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Not all but I think some companies make an extra few bucks under the shipping and handling fee which is why there is a difference in what some charge. So yea I think there is room for complaint!

That is exactly why I posted what I did! Any one can say what they please but there is not a doubt in my mind that the shipping is used as another source of income for a lot of "companies". Thats why the shipping was $7.00 from Midway USA and $15.00 from Natchez! They even try to con you into purchasing there by selling things a small amount under what everyone else does and then turning up the screws on the shipping witch makes it an expensive place to purchase.

Anyone who doesn't want to believe this or try to condone it under false reasons is just part of the con in my book.
Practically everyone knows it is widely done on ebay, thats why so many people have slowed down or stopped there purchases there .

So, don't go crying to me about handling and all that **** because they are things that are put into the "SELLING PRICE", NOT

the shipping price , think about it!:evil:

mooman76
11-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I used to order from Natchetz but when I found Midway it pretty much stoped and have nothing against Natchets it just that Midway gives me options to ship, it's almost always cheaper and I get my stuff a week sooner. They do have that small order fee for under $25 but I usually can always find something else I need. If not I go with someone else and never order a backorder item from Midway unless you absolutely have to because they charge you a second (seperate)shipping fee which jacks up the price. I don't like backorders anyway.

alamogunr
11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
There are many things that enter into the decision of who to buy from. Price, shipping(and handling) cost, previous experience, reputation, item in stock, etc. I have yet to read anything in this thread that affects my decision who to deal with. In my case, one factor that enters into the equation is what shipping company is used. Everything else being within reason, I won't buy from a company that only ships UPS. I have my reasons for that and they don't have anything to do with this thread.

This started with a criticism of Natchez's shipping charges. I can't comment since they won't sell to me. I live in Tennessee. I will say that it does sound excessive to charge $15 for a set of dies. (And I said I wouldn't comment!)

John
W.TN

StarMetal
11-21-2009, 05:51 PM
There are many things that enter into the decision of who to buy from. Price, shipping(and handling) cost, previous experience, reputation, item in stock, etc. I have yet to read anything in this thread that affects my decision who to deal with. In my case, one factor that enters into the equation is what shipping company is used. Everything else being within reason, I won't buy from a company that only ships UPS. I have my reasons for that and they don't have anything to do with this thread.

This started with a criticism of Natchez's shipping charges. I can't comment since they won't sell to me. I live in Tennessee. I will say that it does sound excessive to charge $15 for a set of dies. (And I said I wouldn't comment!)

John
W.TN

I think Natchez is kind of goofy. They told me their reason they don't sell to TN residents is because it takes away from the dealers in our state. Not many other gun related companies do that. TN is a real stickler about folks buying stuff cheaper through the internet...they don't like it. Far as I'm concerned Natchez is dead in my book.

Joe

felix
11-21-2009, 05:56 PM
TN has no income tax on wages, and this is one reason to buy from a TN store if you live there. Helps keep the state IRS at bay. ... felix

Ricochet
11-21-2009, 06:00 PM
TN's got the highest sales taxes in the nation.

StarMetal
11-21-2009, 06:19 PM
TN has no income tax on wages, and this is one reason to buy from a TN store if you live there. Helps keep the state IRS at bay. ... felix

Felix, it depends on how much income you have too. But generally that's a true statement.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great state and I love living here.

Joe

mooman76
11-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Natchetz web site is a pita also if you're trying to find something and you don't have the item code and it's been that way a long time. You would think they would have caught on by now and fixed the problem.

mike in co
11-21-2009, 08:56 PM
That is exactly why I posted what I did! Any one can say what they please but there is not a doubt in my mind that the shipping is used as another source of income for a lot of "companies". Thats why the shipping was $7.00 from Midway USA and $15.00 from Natchez! They even try to con you into purchasing there by selling things a small amount under what everyone else does and then turning up the screws on the shipping witch makes it an expensive place to purchase.

Anyone who doesn't want to believe this or try to condone it under false reasons is just part of the con in my book.
Practically everyone knows it is widely done on ebay, thats why so many people have slowed down or stopped there purchases there .

So, don't go crying to me about handling and all that **** because they are things that are put into the "SELLING PRICE", NOT

the shipping price , think about it!:evil:
ok brilliant one with no retail /internet sales experience........

how do you then establish the SELLING PRICE for those that pick up at the store...

may i suggest you do some serious thinking prior to your next comment

mike in co

jh45gun
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Mike it does not take a rocket scientist to know when a company is STIFFING YOU!

waksupi
11-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I'll bet a lot of companies set a straight price,rather than try to weigh and package everything. I have screwed myself so many times when selling on Ebay, and here, by underestimating the shiping costs on an item. More than once, I have ended up sending items to people basically free, plus kicking in extra money to get the item to the person.

500bfrman
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM

mike in co

where I worked last I performed about five of those jobs by myself. and we did over 1,000 a day. a lot of it is automatic. I guess they don't make any profit off the product. The point for me would be ok so you want 50 bucks for dies that's fine. now be straightforward and tell me how much you want for shipping don't try and get your profit there. I would rather pay more for the product than deal with shady profit on the shipping.

mike in co
11-22-2009, 10:54 PM
where I worked last I performed about five of those jobs by myself. and we did over 1,000 a day. a lot of it is automatic. I guess they don't make any profit off the product. The point for me would be ok so you want 50 bucks for dies that's fine. now be straightforward and tell me how much you want for shipping don't try and get your profit there. I would rather pay more for the product than deal with shady profit on the shipping.

did you get paid ?
benefits?
paid holidays ?
works comp ins paid by your boss....???

so there was a COST to these tasks???

automatic ??? who paid for the equiptment, the software, the service ???

MY POINT IS:
your shipping and HANDLING cost should be MORE than the SHIPPING cost alone PERIOD.

some people seem to be claiming that ALL FUNDS HIGHER than the actual shipping cost is PROFIT.
THOSE PEOPLE HAVE NO CLUE.

do some trolls on fleabay bag fools with stupid shipping costs...yes..there are fools born everyday. read BEFORE you buy.

mike in co

Four Fingers of Death
11-23-2009, 07:13 AM
I can't begin to think why they still manafacture non carbide dies anymore.

jack19512
11-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I can't begin to think why they still manafacture non carbide dies anymore.

I can't begin to think why I struggle so with my Ruger SBH 44 mag and getting it to shoot accurately.

Changeling
11-23-2009, 07:03 PM
did you get paid ?
benefits? What benefits?
paid holidays ? Do you pay your employees for holidays?
works comp ins paid by your boss....??? Really?

so there was a COST to these tasks??? There would be cost for these things that was traceable if you/someone was a company that paid these different costs. Companies like Ford, United Health care, Safeway, ETNA, on and on and on!

automatic ??? who paid for the equiptment, the software, the service ??? Things like equipment (software falls under this) are the responsibility of YOU! Where did you get the idea that it was the consumer who is buying your "whatever" to protect you? It's a business that you started not an insurance policy against failure. You sir are very evidently doing exactly what I talked about in my opening comments! You just plain don't like someone finally throwing it back in your face.

MY POINT IS:
your shipping and HANDLING cost should be MORE than the SHIPPING cost alone PERIOD.
That is absolutely the most stupid thing relative to operating a business I've ever heard! People who have businesses "real companies" cut deals with delivery companies for lower rates than ANY average person will ever be able to get
Your trying to group shipping and handling together reflects on the shipping company like Fed X for instance. That is BS! Handling is the responsibility of the BUSINESS and is not affiliated with the shipping company in any way. Try telling FED X they owe you money because it was included in your sales pitch as "shipping & Handling", LOLAL.

some people seem to be claiming that ALL FUNDS HIGHER than the actual shipping cost is PROFIT. NOW you got it, that's exactly what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THOSE PEOPLE HAVE NO CLUE. NOOOO, what you mean is I hope they don't have a clue, thats going to END!

do some trolls on fleabay bag fools with stupid shipping costs...yes..there are fools born everyday. read BEFORE you buy. Right there you finally said something that makes sense because YOURE TALKING TO THE PEOPLE WHO BUY FROM THEM AND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

mike in co

Just read between the lines.

mike in co
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=Changeling;726115]

mike in co

I was just going to edit this post, but nearly the full text of it was a personal attack.

THIS IS NOT PERMITTED HERE!

Waksupi