PDA

View Full Version : little confusion

XWrench3
11-19-2009, 05:35 PM
i was running through some of the lube recipies a minute ago. ran across bp lubes. the only bp stuff i will be shooting is a 50 cal muzzle loader, and i dont shoot it much so i so far have just bought bore butter. anyway, it got me thinking that maybe the store bought stuff isnt really all that great. so, does the store bought stuff adequet for m.l. shooting, or do you just need better lube for b.p. cartridge shooting.

mpmarty
11-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Try a can of Crisco

Blammer
11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
the bore butter stuff works well for me if I soak my patches in it for my RB's.

I mixed crisco and beeswax as my lube for my 50cal maxi hunters and it works well.

I use just enough beeswax to keep it on the boolit when it's about 80° out, but it still works well when it's 32° also.

so for cheap and not a lot of use, go with the crisco and beeswax, that's my suggestion.

Gunfixer
11-19-2009, 06:38 PM
FWIW
I too use the Bore Butter on patches (put in a plastic container and put on the dash in the sun soaks in good)
If you already have a supply of Bore Butter, cut it 50/50 with beeswax for conicals. Worked good for me till I ran out. I now use beeswax and whatever oil comes out of the turkey fryer, smells like a cooked turkey every time you shoot!

rhbrink
11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
If you would like to make some lube try the Emmert lube, works very well just add a little bit of lanolin to it. Works as well as any thing that I have bought and better than most.

Maven
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
XW3, There are many good BP lubes available. Bore Butter and Wonder Lube are excellent, but pricey. White Crisco is readily available and inexpensive (its main virtues), but it doesn't dissolve BP fouling as do purpose-made lubes. If you can find Young Country 103 Lube (white solid), you may want to try it. Also Ballistol and water (1 part Ballistol : 5 parts water), Winchester Sutler's Moose Milk, and Old Slickum (Dixie Gunworks) are excellent if you want a liquid patch lube. Enough dish soap dissolved in water so that it's slippery may work as well.

XWrench3
11-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I now use beeswax and whatever oil comes out of the turkey fryer, smells like a cooked turkey every time you shoot!

that would be NO GOOD! i would have to go and eat every time i shot!! LOLOL!!