PDA

View Full Version : Swaging... Plastic.

bohica2xo
11-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Ok, you guys I really did not need another thing to shoot.

People here were asking about plastics, and someone mentioned those damn airsoft balls. They are 6mm diameter, and my nephew leaves them all over my sister's place.

So I picked a few of them up, they appear to be formable. Hmm, stuff a few through the de-rimming die? Ok, they spring back to .224 diameter, with a short flat on the OD.

I already shoot .22 pellets from the 223 or Hornet with a primer, so this was a no-brainer:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_f9mZJsRJS54/SwQzZWnbaeI/AAAAAAAAAB8/NSXkXKh6C4E/Airsoft1cb.jpg

It shoots just like a pellet, but with far less terminal energy. A cardboard box with a towel in it will stop it just fine. Recovered projectiles show decent engraving:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_f9mZJsRJS54/SwQzZvHPdBI/AAAAAAAAACE/2sh6znStYXs/Airsoft2cb.jpg

Now, with 3 grains of 4756 in the Hornet a Quail is a better target...

Lead free Hunting!

B.

BT Sniper
11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. Next thing yo know we will be shooting glue sticks out of our 44s :)

So a .243 down to .224 I have some of the 8mm heavy airsoft pellets I use in my 44 bullets. 8mm is like 323 isn't it? I imagine they would size down to .308.

Any way let us know how they work out. Your going to have to be one heck of a shot to nock that quail out of the air with that little pellet:Fire:

303Guy
11-20-2009, 02:18 AM
bohica2xo, I would like to hear more about the pellets in the hornet! I have tried them and they were OK. The 'hot' ones were more powerful than a 22LR but had no range - they just disappeared! Now these plastic balls (which I happen to have apacket of) could be just the ticket. They should hold together at high speed. I want a 'safe' rabbit round with no 'carry over'.

I have also fired swaged 22LR cases empty but I've only tried those at subsonic velocity for quietness.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/SwagedJacket.jpgThis is it, ready to be loaded. I have thought of filling it with Prestik or something.

bohica2xo
11-24-2009, 12:54 PM
303:

I should probably chronograph the hornet with powder...

The density of the plastic is low. They lose energy very quickly.

I sighted my M43 Winchester (Hornet) for 30 feet, and was able to harvest some of the Gambel's Quail from my front yard. At 75 feet they barely go through a cardboard box, and a 50 yard shot requires mortar techniques...

I am not sure they would kill a rabbit beyond 25 feet. If you just want to run one off it would work fine.

Still a fun way to spend an afternoon. I have a large quantity of mixed junk primers that are not safe for real ammo, but they launch plastic or pellets just fine.

B.

bangerjim
11-26-2013, 02:51 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. Next thing yo know we will be shooting glue sticks out of our 44s :)

So a .243 down to .224 I have some of the 8mm heavy airsoft pellets I use in my 44 bullets. 8mm is like 323 isn't it? I imagine they would size down to .308.

Any way let us know how they work out. Your going to have to be one heck of a shot to nock that quail out of the air with that little pellet:Fire:

Next thing? I started shooting HF HMG sticks cut off with a knife in my 45's long time ago. No accuracy and they will not cycle in a lever action. Now I cast 45's in HMG that look and shoot like the real thing! And with a 1/4" steel ball in the end and 2 gn of powder behind it, they are really fun!

banger

Zymurgy50
11-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Try stuffing some cornstarch in your point forming die and apply pressure, you may be surprised by what comes out........

MOcaster
11-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Frangible bullets?! That would be awesome! I'll have to try that.