PDA

View Full Version : lee loadmaster

OneShotNeeded
11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I have several presses and have the opportunity to get a loadmaster real cheap.... Is this a good deal or too good to be true. I know nothing about those type of progressive presses..

azrednek
11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Unless you are mechanically inclined and have a very patient personality avoid it like it has a terminal plague.

dragonrider
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
+1 what azredneck said

richbug
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
+1 what azredneck said

Yup

That being said I loaded 600 rounds of 45 on mine this morning, took about and hour and a half.

I like mine, but it sometimes aggravates me to no end.

Firebricker
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Don't do it it's a trick !!! Lee make's a lot of good products but the loadmaster is not one of them. If they would do something with priming system and make the auto index reliable and smoother it might be alright. FB

RobS
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
The Loadmaster can be a PIA but once set up it is really a good machine. Now grant it I am mechanically minded and actually watched everything on the second one (that's right I own two) to figure out why it didn't work right. It took me about a week to spot the issue so I also have the 2nd required tool for working with a Loadmaster, patience.

I have done all the modifications and sanded and filed parts of the press and since adjusting them I haven't touch them sense. About 10,000 rounds on one and about 15,000 on the other one. There are a few tricks I've picked up on my own and here is a forum that will help make the LM a great and reliable press.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=ef61b487d2b4290bf834babaebd46209

I spent a total of $325 on both of them which included a set of dies for each and a powder measure for both.

If you buy the LM and need some help keep me in mind and I can talk you through the issues.

zomby woof
11-19-2009, 11:13 PM
The Loadmaster can be a PIA but once set up it is really a good machine. Now grant it I am mechanically minded and actually watched everything on the second one (that's right I own two) to figure out why it didn't work right. It took me about a week to spot the issue so I also have the 2nd required tool for working with a Loadmaster, patience.

I have done all the modifications and sanded and filed parts of the press and since adjusting them I haven't touch them sense. About 10,000 rounds on one and about 15,000 on the other one. There are a few tricks I've picked up on my own and here is a forum that will help make the LM a great and reliable press.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=ef61b487d2b4290bf834babaebd46209

I spent a total of $325 on both of them which included a set of dies for each and a powder measure for both.

If you buy the LM and need some help keep me in mind and I can talk you through the issues.

+1

I love mine. I've done most of the upgrades on mine in the link. It runs great. I'm a former automation mechanic though.

OneShotNeeded
11-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info all. I can pick it up basically for free. Just need to drive over and get it. If I do I'll sure be in touch RobS.

Phat Man Mike
11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I had one loved it after I got all the lil quirks worked out!! only reason I sold it was a buddy begged for it!!:mrgreen:

Storydude
11-21-2009, 11:57 AM
If you don't like it, I'll buy it off of you at a fair price.

Ranch Dog
11-21-2009, 01:19 PM
1+ for loadmastervideos.com

Most casters, forum members, don't seem to mind tinkering with something. I was given one also, a number of years ago, buy an older fellow that had ordered one to load 45 Colt ammo. He took one look at it and brought me the box it came in and said I could have it if I kept him in ammo. It was a hell of a deal in that he shoots less than 10 shots a year! Anyway, this was before loadmastervideos.com and I had it setup and spitting out loaded ammo in less than three hours including case and bullet feeding.

It is not a load development tool, it is a production press. You need a press to do the work to establish a load and then set everything once and let it rip. A monkey can pull the lever, and spit out ammo. You just need to teach it to ring a bell when it is time to fill the bullet and case tubes or the powder canister. The little Lee "C" press would work fine for any load development needs.

RobS
11-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the info all. I can pick it up basically for free. Just need to drive over and get it. If I do I'll sure be in touch RobS.

OneShotNeeded:

If the website doesn't give you what you need then hit me up with a PM or email and I will gladly help you out.

Rob

Trapshooter
11-22-2009, 10:34 AM
I found it isn't too tough to use the Loadmaster for development. If you don't crank down the screws that hold clips that hold the shells in the shell plate, it is pretty easy to insert or remove the shell after each station and weigh the charge, or modify the charge. or measure or change seating depth or crimp. Put the shell back in, flip the holder clip back against the shell, cycle the handle to move to the next station. If I'm working up a load, or loading rifle cases, I don't fill the case feeder tubes. I've got a couple other single station presses, but only one press mounting station on the bench. Sometimes it is easier to use the press that is already set up on the bench. I've used the Loadmaster for one at a time loads for both pistols and rifles. I don't have shell plates for every cartridge I reload, so some have to be loaded on the single stage presses, but if I have the right shell plate for the Loadmaster and it is on the bench already, I used it. As said before, if your personality is compatible with the press, it is a pretty good piece of equipment for the price. If not, it will drive you stark raving mad.

Trapshooter

OneShotNeeded
11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Cool. I'm going to be headed up to WV this turkeyday so I'm going to go by and take a look at this thing. Is there anything that I need to be aware of or that I need to look for in the way of parts that it's supposed to have or possibly be missing? I'm used to single stage presses so I'm kinda leary about this whole thing. However it seems that if I do get this thing I've got plenty of knowhow from everyone here to get this thing up and running. I'll keep you all posted.

RobS
11-26-2009, 01:27 AM
For the press, make sure that the case ejector and thumb nut is there along with the indexing rod (with the nylon flipper on the end). Also make sure that the thumb bolt is there (the bolt located at the top left of the press that locks in the turret) and the case feeder bolt (located at the bottom right side of the press). Assuming that the press has the ram in it and the shell plate carrier attached to it then that should be about it regarding the mechanical part of the press.

If you are receiving the whole kit then make sure that the primer arm and tray are there along with the primer seater pin for what ever primer tray you have. The white armed tray is for large primers and the grey is for small primers so if you see both of them you should have two different primer seater pins. There is also a small spring that goes into the primer pins.

A turret should be there if he is giving you the whole kit and maybe even dies along with a powder measure which should have 4 round disks. I think that is about it.

Here is a link for the press only and at the bottom of the description it tells you what comes with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=671219

Here is a link for a press kit again the description tells you what it comes with.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=236243

Hope this helps

Rob

shotman
11-26-2009, 03:59 AM
The main thing is LEE knows the problems and didnt fix them. dont that seem dumb. I got one of the first ones and talked to richard lee about it he said I should work with it a while and it will be ok . BS the problems it has is same ones from day one.
Like rob said It will work good if you are good on the mechanic work . but if not forget it

KYCaster
11-26-2009, 11:29 PM
I spoke to the Lee techs on several occasions. ( why don't they have a toll free phone no. like the rest of the business world? ) I kept getting the same useless advise.

Finally got Richard Lee on the phone. I was impressed that the owner of the company actually answered the phone occasionally. He gave me the same BS and when I pressed him for details he implied that I may be too stupid to operate one of his machines and might be much happier with a Dillon press.

How's that for an endorsement??????

Jerry

Catshooter
11-27-2009, 12:02 AM
There's nothing wrong with the Loadmaster that trading it in for an RCBS Ammomaster won't fix.

Cat

RobS
11-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Catshooter:

That maybe true if such an individual is not patient or if one expects a LoadMaster to operate like a RCBS, Dillon, or Hornady press straight out of the box. Another thing can one really trade a Lee LM for a RCBS Ammomaster? Well, most people, probably not but you are going to dig deep in the pocket for the "higher end" progressives. The problem with Lee is their quality control is a little lacking on some of their items and the LM is definitely on their “to do” list.

Long story short, when I paid for the 1st LM it was half the expense of other progressive presses so I figured why not despite the horror stories as I always like a challenge and I'm a cheap bastard. Having acquired enough working knowledge from my first LM I traded my Dillon 550 for the second and some cash which at the time I used to purchse a Ruger 45 colt Blackhawk. The previous owner was so pissed in how the press worked for him and so I offered the trade. I've never looked back and both presses work with no further issues since I did some initial work to them.

KYCaster:

That does in fact such that Lee Customer Service dished you BS and that old Richard Lee filled his own mouth with **** and lost a customer. On this end.............I've never called up Lee for advise on the LM as I knew it would be futile. I found alot of help from other people at the LoadMaster forum, but the two bigger issues I had with the presses 1. the primer flipping issue and 2. the indexing problem on one of presses I learned how to fix those problems on my own as the usual fixes were not of any help.

KYCaster
11-27-2009, 01:31 PM
The deal breaker for me was priming. Priming on the Loadmaster takes place at the top of the press stroke at the same time as case sizing, bullet seating and crimping. With the pressure required to accomplish all the operations at the same time, it's impossible to feel the primer seating.

Add to that the fragile little plastic primer shuttle and proper primer seating becomes a hit or miss proposition. Any wear or damage to this part would cause primers to hang up or flip and result in missing primers, inverted primers or primers seated sideways.

Even with everything in good working order any hitch in the press stroke, like a case not entering the size die smoothly, would cause the primer to flip. Variations in brass dimensions would result in inconsistant primer seating. The end result was a full 20% reject rate and having to seat the primers in the remaining 80% with a Lee hand priming tool.

The only way I found to get an acceptable reject rate was to use only Remington or Winchester brass sorted by headstamp. Deprime and clean the primer pockets. Trim to uniform length. I also had to keep several of the primer shuttles on hand and at the first sign of damage stop and replace with a new one that had been properly deburred and lubed.

That kind of defeated the purpose of a progressive press and was unacceptable when I was loading a thousand rounds a week for my son and I.

But that's just my experience....YMMV.

Jerry

RobS
11-27-2009, 09:10 PM
KYCaster:

Do you still have the press??? I may be able to help you out on your problems.

Catshooter
11-27-2009, 09:50 PM
RobS,

I'm glad your LMs are working out for you.

I'm a very patient person. I paid $240 for my Ammomaster. Please don't for a moment think that the Ammomaster is perfect, I have experience with three and they all need modifcations to work their best.

I don't consider the Ammomaster a "high end" press. Dillon, as fas as I can tell has that market cornered with no competition. I used a buddy's Dillon 1050 once. WOW. I would love to be able to afford one, but no way.

I'm also a faily mechanically inclined person. I just couldn't get the Loadmaster to work, end of story. Of course this was early in '91 and I think Lee had just come out with it. They have to be better now or they couldn't possibly be still selling them.

Cat

KYCaster
11-27-2009, 10:40 PM
RobS, yes I still have the press. I just dug it out of storage where it's been for the past two years. I've promised it to another member here and as soon as I can get it packed and shipped it'll be out of my sight forever.

Cat, AFAIK they're still selling the same press with the same problems. There are entire websites devoted to modifying the Loadmaster press.

Occasionally I get the urge to set up one of my Lee presses and see if I can get it to work, but instead I go out to the shop and clamp my thumb in a vise and apply pressure till the urge passes. It's much less painful that way. :veryconfu

Jerry

RobS
11-27-2009, 11:48 PM
KYCaster:

You are a very funny person, I really enjoy reading your comments and the humor you bring to this tread; I've laughed out loud a few times.

Catshooter:
I didn't mean to imply that you were not a patient or mechanically inclined individual. I will tell you this though I filed down the index flipper notch at the top of the press about a 1/4" to have things align right and that is a HUGE quality control issue as this press should have never made it out of the factory. No way could the press have ever been aligned correctly to make it index without busting off the indexing rod and then turning it by hand. The primer setup is another issue that I have managed to correct by drilling out the primer arm hole just enough so the primer drops through instead of catching up and turning sideways etc. I don't know if Lee intended this with the primer system or not but since I did this I've had no problems with the primer system.

Every press will have their issues, but I will state this again.............Lee's quality control sucks and that is the real problem with the LoadMaster. If Lee Precision would simply set up each press to ensured they worked smoothly before boxing them up people would have better opinions of them.

Rob

Jerry11826
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I like mine. Have two. I am trying to sell all my Dillon stuff, which I used for about 20 years - That should give you a clue!

After you learn to tighten the shell plate and turret lock nuts "super tight", clean the primer feed assembly occasionally and most important "hit the bottom and top stops" on every lever stroke, you should not have any trouble.

I used to be a Load Master evangelist i.e. try to convince other reloaders the Load Master was a great tool. Have given up! I think there are a lot of people not smart enough to use a Load Master -

Good luck,

Jerry

zomby woof
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I like mine.

After you learn to tighten the shell plate and turret lock nuts "super tight", clean the primer feed assembly occasionally and most important "hit the bottom and top stops" on every lever stroke, you should not have any trouble.

I think there are a lot of people not smart enough to use a Load Master

Jerry

+1
I couldn't agree more. After a few tweeks, mine just keep on running. Very versatile.

pistolman44
12-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I have one now for over 10yrs. Once you figure out what the quirks are you can load a lot of ammo fairly quick. Just remember long steady strokes of the handle not stopping in between at any time. Don't rush it and you can reload all day without any trouble. Keep it lubed.

Windy City Kid
12-03-2009, 03:02 AM
The loadmaster has it's quirks, but once you figure them out it's a very fast reloading machine.

Here is a couple of tips for the newer Loadmaster users.

Proper adjustment is everything, if it isn't working for you, you don't have it adjusted right.

Keep it lubed.

Don't run the primers dry, when the primer tray is empty, FILL IT and you won't have any problems. Clean the primer feed assembly occasionally.

Keep the turret locking nut tight. (I use a drop of blue loctite).

Keep the shell plate nut tight.

I have loaded over 500,000 rounds on a Loadmaster and it is still going strong.

All I use the Loadmaster now for is .38spl., but I shoot about 30,000 rounds of .38spl. a year.

Yes, I have a Dillon 550 and I like it, but the Loadmaster is a good press also.

WCK

azcoyhunter
12-03-2009, 06:38 PM
What about using the Boolit feed with LLA lubed boolits?
I have heard that the LLA will "gum up the works", but has anybody her ever done it?

prs
01-24-2010, 06:22 PM
LOL. I enjoyed reading all of this. I have had a LM for quite a while. I had my troubles, but its very reliable now. I enjoyed seeing h ow other folks like Rob solved their problems differently than did I. I will have to see that site mentioned above and have recently watched the YouTube vids where one fellow in particular put a lot of effort in.

Like the fellow who initiated this post, I goat my LM almost free. It was a neighbor's and he was showing me his new DIllon. When I saw the Lee on his bench I commented and he said he would pay me to haul its lousy ass off his property. I paid him $20.00. It was a mess and the guys at Lee were GREAT in getting me parts and help. I got it going like a Swiss watch. To eFreinds got one on my recommendation and they both gave-up in frustreation and I felt like a heal. After about 3 years and many thousands of rounds mine started flubbing-up with sideways primers and crushed cases at the deprime station. None of the tricks worked, then I found the main casting cracked where the primer arm pivots. Replaced that and no more troubles and my set-up is complex since I run two powder through dies and measures to drop black powder and grits. MIght have to trade ifor with Rob someday.

prs