PDA

View Full Version : Duh...what's that word

peter nap
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I bought a RCBS primer pocket swage at the gunshow last week. Everything is in the box except instructions. I must be getting old because I didn't used to need instructions.

I found a PDF on the web but it was scanned poorly. Can someone tell me how much to allow between the swager body and head?[smilie=b:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/Untitled-1.jpg

TK Grogg
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
That distance is 1/2" on my RCBS instruction sheet

docone31
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
This might help.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/reloading/swager/swager-1.htm
Apparently, it will bend the rod if too tight.

Bill*
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Not much help...been staring at my screen for at least a minute and sometimes it looks like 1/2" and then I see 1/4". Not messing with you, I can think it into being either.....Sorry
Never mind- 2 posts while I was typing

peter nap
11-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Thank Guys!

Bill, me too.

mike in co
11-19-2009, 12:23 AM
use with mixed meadstamp brass is a sure way to bend the rod, or not form pockets on some brass.

mike in co

1hole
11-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Since the goal is a results based thing, and brass is NOT made to precise dimensions in many respects, perhaps it would be best to forget "instructions" and just do what's necessary to accomplish the goal. ??

montana_charlie
11-23-2009, 12:16 AM
I 'picked' this out of the 30-odd 'comments' on the Midway site.
It seems to be the most useful one, as far as understandable information is concerned...understandable to me, a guy who has never seen this tool.
CM

I used this die to swage about 100 brass but then realized it wasn't swaging enough so I adjusted it a bit and apparently it was too much because the guide rod bent. It seems there's very little middle ground between "no swage", "perfect swage" and "break the thing". The directions are utterly worthless, they seem to think you can magically adjust it on your own with no indicators. Here's a few tips for anyone trying to use this: Don't set the lock ring until its 100% set. Put the guide pin all the way in (so its sticking out the top as much as possible and leave it in this position). Then set the bottom of the die about 1/4" above the swag "shell holder". Run a case through, check the crimp, screw the die in 1/4 turn, do it again, repeat this until you see signs of it starting to swage, then proceed to do 1/8 turn adjustments until the crimp ring around the primer pocket is beveled in. Then STOP. If you go any farther the guide pin will bend. I just emailed RCBS about my dead pin and I hope they replace it. In the mean time I will try straightening out the bent pin using a vise and possibly hardening it (flame till red hot then into can of used motor oil).