PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 357 Feed help -

Bullshop Junior
11-18-2009, 09:00 PM
My new Marlin 357 does not feed as smooth at I thought it would. Its kind of hard to get them into the tube. If you don't have it at just the right angle it does not go in, and then the cartridges seem to get cought on the cartridge lifter. I looked at it and it looks like the lifter for a 44 Mag, and a 44 Mag fits it quite nicely....
Is the lifter for the 357 the same as the one on the 44?
Any Ideas on how to get it to feed smoother?
Thanks

dualsport
11-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Is it a new gun? Mine wouldn't feed ANYTHING from the mag, had to load it single to even shoot at all. Sent it back to Marlin, don't really know what they did but it's 100% now.

Bullshop Junior
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
No, it is old and looks to have been used alot.

legend
11-19-2009, 03:50 AM
i own one also and had to bend the spring that is under the loading gate,that still was not enough,so i took a dremel tool to the spring and ground it thinner,blued it after polishing,and put it back in.it works great now.

i hope it helps you

oso
11-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I think you're talking about loading the magazine tube rather than feeding from the magazine tube?
If so, just keep the cartridge against the loading gate as a guide to direct the cartridge downstream into the magazine rather than angling towards the carrier. If that doesn't help take off the magazine tube and check the mouth, spring and follower .
If the problem is feeding from the magazine onto the carrier then check the cartridge overall length, bullet nose (I avoid wadcutters) the timing and do a search on "fixing the Marlin Jam"