PDA

View Full Version : Posole

sundog
05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Well, I made another batch. Mrs Sundog is not a really big fan of hominy so here's what I did:

1# breakfast sausage
1 med wh onion - diced
1 16 oz silantro picante sauce (Pace mild)
2 cans Fiesta corn

Brown sausage and onions together. Drain well. Add picante sauce to a simmer, add drained corn to a simmer.

Mrs Sundog really liked this variation.

On a torilla, it can't be beat. Thanks again, waksupi. Oh, good for breakfast, too! sundog

as an aside - ice box here at work went out over the weekend. Huge bone in ham in freezer was just thawing out so the boss says, let's cook it and everyone can have ham sandwiches. Good deal! That was Tuesday. Well, what to do with the bone and pieces??? Beans! But, of course. Well, the beans are cooking. I doctored one of the batches with vadalia onion, jalapeno, and a few other things. Mmmmmm. Some of the gals brought cornbread and fixins. Whole building smells good. Aroma therapy, doncha know. Beans and cornbread = Okie soul food. Too bad we don't have a place or time for a big pan of fired taters to go with it.

PatMarlin
05-12-2006, 09:44 AM
That sounds good SD.

I like hominey, but it can be used to much for sure. Have to try yours. We had some turkey breakfast sausage the other morning that was great...:drinks:

Lee
05-13-2006, 01:42 PM
I made up a cast iron Dutch pot full a couple weeks ago for my ill-fated boar hunt. The hunt went bust, and left with a potfull of pesole, I took it to work next day. Heated up, it went fast, real fast. (I took the liberty of adding 1/2 pint of home canned jalapeno/habanero peppers mix in garlic/olive oil. Hit it just right, spiced it up w/o lighting it up)
ANYONE who has not tried this recipe does not know what they are missing. It really is a "build it as you go" meal, so only those with an aversion to tomato products would be unable to find a variation that they would not enjoy.
Hardest part is browning the sausage. If ya can do that, ya got it made........Lee:)

montana_charlie
05-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I just discovered this 'recipe part' of the forums.

As for posole, I've been eating it since I was a kid, but I never heard of putting sausage in it. We always dropped in an average-sized well-trimmed pork roast and let it simmer until done.
Then lift it out, cut it up, discard the bones, and put it all back together.

It makes a 'bowl and spoon' meal as good (on a cold day) as beef stew...but with a Mexican difference.