PDA

View Full Version : P - C custom mold

Bob Maerdian
11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Hello All,

I got a mold with a rifle some time ago and I've been wondering if the folks that made it are still making molds and are still in business.

The mold is a 4 banger and made of aluminum with a stainless steel sprue cutter about 5/16" thick. The holes for each bullet are seperate and not connected with a trough. It seems to be very well made and takes Lyman handles.

Is this outfit still around? Are they still making molds? What is their address and how can I get in contact with them?

Thanks for your help,

Bob:castmine:

MtGun44
11-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Gonna need pics and numbers.

Bill

jdgabbard
11-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Agree with MtGun... We need some pictures and numbers off the mold....

Bob Maerdian
11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
The two who responded both asked for a photo so I'll try to attach one I took a while ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/other%20guys%20stuff/100_1075.jpg

I hope that this works ok and the picture comes through ok.

Bob

dubber123
11-19-2009, 06:30 PM
A local shop had several, although it's just an assumption, based on how few I have seen, is that they are long out of business.

stubshaft
11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Is it my computer or not, I still don't see any photo's?

MtGun44
11-20-2009, 01:02 AM
No photo.
Any words or numbers on the mold?

Bill

45nut
11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
picture added.

MtGun44
11-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Well, great pic, good info, but I have never heard of this outfit. I'd bet that
someone here has, tho.

I'll go out on a limb and guess it is an 8mm mold that casts a nominal 180 gr boolit.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

Bill

Cactus Farmer
11-21-2009, 01:31 AM
I would like to rent this mold for a few days. My old VZ24 needs some new boolits for Christmas.........

Buckshot
11-21-2009, 03:06 AM
.............The one visible female alignment pin hole appears to be merely bored into the aluminum block? Not a long term thing, that. There have been many small mould makers that have come and gone over time. Things don't work out, or they work out too well and get overwhelming, or the person's situation changes and they just fade from sight.

.............Buckshot

Bob Maerdian
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Buckshot mentioned that there appeared to be one alignment pin hole drilled into the aluminum block. There are three female allignment hole drilled into the aluminum block. The male pins are in the opposite block. I've thought about having the female pin holes bushed. I wonder if that would give me a mold with a longer life.

I like the bullet and the way it casts and shoots.

Bob

JIMinPHX
11-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Don't bush them until you have no other choice. You can go for a long time, just chamfering the females back a little & setting the pins in a little deeper, when they get loose & sloppy. Besides, 3 big pins like that should hold up for a good long time just the way they are.

hammerhead357
11-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Well it looks to me as if you have a mould from a manufacture that is out of business. If this is the same company that I had dealings with. I also think that Mike Venturino had dealings with them. The company was started by two brothers in Penn. by the name of Pete & Carl.
Carl was the machinist of the pair and Pete was the bull ship artist. Carl quit and Pete tried to carry on for a while but couldn't produce good products and the venture went belly up.
I had a mould that Carl cut and it was good but then I paid the company several hundred dollars to cut me a special set of moulds and by that time Carl had left and all I got was the run around for a long time and then a set of usless mould.
Now if this set of moulds was cut by someone else my statement won't apply but I think these were made by the same people.....Wes