PDA

View Full Version : Using 3F for 43 Spanish loads

Hog Leg
11-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used 3f for the 43 Spanish. I know the 3 F grain load would be less than 2 F and was thinking of using corn meal to make up the difference of the volume level for bullet compression of the load.

In the Croft Barker book he suggest using corn meal with smokeless powder.

Thanks

August
11-18-2009, 11:01 PM
3F would be "less" than what ?

11-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I think I know what Hog Leg means?? For comparable pressure/velocity one would use less FFF than FF. I have a Mod 1879 RB in 43 Span. I have used both light smokeless and "full" BP loads in the gun. I use FF blackpowder. I would think that within the correct bullet weight range and if the gun is in good condition.... there should be no problem just filling the case to normal bullet seating depth with the FFF and shooting. To reduce the FFF powder charge, since the case has somewhat of a shoulder, I would opt to fill the case to the base of the neck and take up any remaining space with a suitable, dense, blackpowder type filler which could include- fiber wads, cork wads, COW or corn meal, etc. I would hesitate to use a dense, blackpowder type filler where that filler would be below the case neck. But that's just me.... some do I guess :) Likewise I don't use low density filler like dacron with any BP load.

NickSS
11-19-2009, 06:27 AM
I've used full case loads of FFFG in a 45-70 and got higher velocity but not as good accuracy wise to suit my target shooting purpose (I tried in in preparation for a 800,900, 1000 and 1200 yard match I was going for). I just could not get the same accuracy as I was getting with FFG. So I stuck with my FFG load and raised the sights a little higher.

martinibelgian
11-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Case capacity of the round is what would stop me of using 3F - you can dump a serious amount of powder in there. Fg or FFg would be better.

missionary5155
11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Good Morning

First thing is to be sure of your rifle's throat area. Mine measures .442+ so I use boolits that are no less than .443. I hade a .443 sizer made years back.
I did not find 3F any more accurate or inaccurate out to 300 yards. BUT if I was going to use my 43 Roller to hunt BIG critters I would use 3F as my load. A 1-30 420grain bullet should drive complete through most any critter under 400 pounds unless both shoulders are struck. If I was to hunt Griz or Buffalo up close I would opt for a 450+ grain and not be concerned about being under gunned. I know of a trotting horse that was struck with a 450grain 1-30 boolit square in the chest coming head on at 70 yards. It did a complete head first down flip and did not get back up. Boolit exited the rump. A 450+ grain boolit moving at 1300+ fps carries alot of wallop.
So you will have to test your particular rifle. Paper patching may also be a whole different story. But I do know every origonal cartridge I have seen taken down was filled with what resembles 2F or maybe a bit larger.
Some have also tried a duplex loading of 10grains or so of 3F on the primer to get the 2F igniting a bit hotter & burning a bit cleaner.

1874Sharps
11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Hog Leg,

I do not think you will get into any danger by using FFFG in your 43 Spanish RB. The commonly used granulation is FFG or perhaps Swiss 1.5FG. You will want to make sure, however, that you leave no air gap between the base of the boolit and the top of the powder column. Use a drop tube to fill the case with the powder to settle it in the case, or use some vibratory device to settle it. You may find slight compression of the powder column will give you better accuracy, but there are many shooters of bottleneck BPCRs that do not use compression. You will have alot of fun experimenting and finding what works out for you!

Lead pot
11-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Using a filler with a black powder load is not a good idea, especially a bottle neck case using corn meal or cream of wheat.
Dont do it.
A .43 Spanish will shoot very good with 1F or 2F. Keep the bullet base in the case neck, not below, and just slightly compress the powder, less than .100".