PDA

View Full Version : MiHec .452 - 200gn Cramer Re-Re - run

Bob.
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
What can I say,, this is a great mould! :bigsmyl2:
Cast some with soft alloy, 3 to 1 "lead/ww" and tin and they turned out pretty nice for a newbie caster.
Very accurate out of my old Wilson 1911!
I really like the brass moulds or at least the two MP brass moulds I have.

Did some wet pack test, got 100% weight retention with the soft alloy,,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2405.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2407.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2402.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2392.jpg

Bob.

257 Shooter
11-18-2009, 07:04 PM
That is a pretty pile of boolits Bob. I cannot wait for mine to get here and start casting with it.

hicard
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Bob, great looking bullets, what load or velocity are you using/getting?

Bob.
11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Bob, great looking bullets, what load or velocity are you using/getting?

That was 6.6 gn of Unique, just had to try some out.
Not sure about OAL yet, those were 1.210 ?

Bob

hicard
11-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the info.

archmaker
11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks, I just got my mold. May be a few days before I can try it out, but dang it sure is pretty!!!

coyotebait
11-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I got my mold a few days ago and am very impressed with the quality of workmanship and the ease of casting with the Cramer style hp mold. I cast with WW+1% as that is whats in my pot and loaded up a few and shot them. The function and accuracy is there but of course expantion was not with that alloy.
coyotebait

yondering
11-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Bob, your boolits look great. How are you avoiding voids around the tip of the hollow point pin? In your last picture, the hollow points are filled out nice and clean. What temp are you casting at?

Bob.
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Bob, your boolits look great. How are you avoiding voids around the tip of the hollow point pin? In your last picture, the hollow points are filled out nice and clean. What temp are you casting at?

I'm running about 800 by the RCBS thermometer.
I did get a few pin holes, pressure pouring seem to work best with the 5 sided pins.

Bob.

yondering
11-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm running about 800 by the RCBS thermometer.
I did get a few pin holes, pressure pouring seem to work best with the 5 sided pins.

Bob.

Hmm, I'm using about the same temp, but get lots of pinholes or voids. Pressure casting didn't really help me. How much tin are you using?

Are you casting pretty fast, or letting the mold/pins cool between casts, or ??

Any mold release agent on the pins?

Bob.
11-23-2009, 07:23 PM
I use about 9-10 lbs lead, 3 lbs WW and maybe a 1/4 lb or so of lead free solder.
Pre-heated the mould on a cheap walmart elect burner.
Yes I went pretty fast but tried to keep the speed where the sprue would cut clean without pulling the centers out.
I did use Kroil a few times on the pins and smoked them when they started to stick.
Also preheated the pins a little with a propane torch.
The round pins were easier then the 5 sided.

Bob

yondering
11-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Hmmm. Thanks. Still not sure what the difference is, other than the alloy you're using, and the Kroil. Might have to try Kroil on the pins. I've been using 75/25 ww/pure, air cooled, as this seems about the right combination of strength and hardness. Tried some at 50/50 ww/pure, but got a good bit more leading and the recoverd boolits show stripping of the rifling. How about yours, do they show this?

Bob.
11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Actually I was surprised how little leading I got with the soft mix, I've had pretty good luck with 50/50 mix in 45. Haven't noticed any stripping of the rifling and they are pretty accurate in my 1911. Just for practice and target shooting I will use 50/50 I just tried the soft mix to experiment with the HPs. The soft mix I threw together performed pretty good, I still want to try 25 to 1 lead/tin mix that Fred338 suggested. I just started casting this summer and I'm still learning, so I hope some of the Pros will chime in with tips for both of us?
I'm still getting a few boolets with problems, a few pin holes and I have a hard time getting the top of the lube groove sharp. :roll:
Seems to be more with the 5 sided pins though, the round HP pins are the easiest for me to cast with and they turn out pretty nice.
We'll get it figured out :drinks:

Bob

Bob.
11-30-2009, 02:56 PM
A couple more wet pack test, all 5 sided pins except the 1 round pin "top left".

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2476.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2482.jpg

Bob.

hicard
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
How about that, premium cast boolits.

OBXPilgrim
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Down the tube shot of a 5 sided HP.

Cool, huh?

Down South
12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Mine Mould came in yesterday. My pot was already heated up for other casting when the mail ran. I cleaned the mould and preheated it. The first casting went back to the pot. The second casting and there after produced keepers. This has been the easiest mould to use that I’ve seen I think.

Gee_Wizz01
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
My mold casts like a dream. It has been the best mold I have ever owned, a little preheating and boolits are well filled out and drop right out. The only issue I have is with the hollow point pins, especially the 5 side pin, is the boolits don't want to come off! I have polished the pins, looked for burrs, used kroil, and smoked them, but the five sided are stuck on tight. The round pins have some sticking too, but usuall a little rapping the handles with a rawhide mallet will dislodge them. I have tried running hot and cool and in between, but nothing seems to really help. Am I missing something?

G

hicard
12-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Gee Wizz01 Set the mold on top of the melt for a count of 20 and try casting them. Works great for me, especially with the 40 cal mold where sticking is real bad. Should be good for awhile and if your pace is fast enough and the lead is hot enough you might be able to just keep going. I polished my hp's with some emery cloth and that helped also.

Down South
12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Gee Wizz01 Set the mold on top of the melt for a count of 20 and try casting them. Works great for me, especially with the 40 cal mold where sticking is real bad. Should be good for awhile and if your pace is fast enough and the lead is hot enough you might be able to just keep going. I polished my hp's with some emery cloth and that helped also.
I can polish mine with just a rough cotton rag to a mirror finish with just a couple swipes. I keep a dummy round on my desk for show and tell. This is a great mould.