PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ordering starline 45LC brass.

Changeling
11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
In another post of mine on what was the best brass to get for the 45LC the overwhelming opinion was "Starline". I need the opinions of people who have used this brass.

I went there today, but there is two options:

1. 45 colt with "Large primers".

2. 454 Casull with "Small Primers" that are made .100 longer so it works in the 45LC (twice the price of the other) There is a note that says the 45 LC will also work in the 454 Casull.

3. Is this just a con or what? What is the best to get

square butte
11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Just get the standard 45 colt brass, unless you think you will be wanting a 454 Casull.

S.R.Custom
11-18-2009, 06:37 PM
2. 454 Casull with "Small Primers" that are made .100 longer so it works in the 45LC (twice the price of the other)

Read it again. It says because the Casull brass is .100" longer it CAN'T be used in the .45LC gun.

And the "small primer" pocket is for small rifle primers.

Changeling
11-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Read it again. It says because the Casull brass is .100" longer it CAN'T be used in the .45LC gun.

SuperMag, thanks, some times I just shift gears to darn fast.

S.R.Custom
11-18-2009, 07:52 PM
No sweat...

I just hope those boys are ramping up production. I need brass for a few calibers, but when I see a backorder notice with a "NO ETA" on the due date, it kinda scares me...

Dale53
11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I am a Starline fan and am using several different caliber cases without issue.

Sometimes they run out and it is a while before they run them again. I suspect that getting your order in (even tho' they say they are back ordered) just MAY hasten them up a bit regarding a particular caliber.

FWIW
Dale53

Changeling
11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
No sweat...

I just hope those boys are ramping up production. I need brass for a few calibers, but when I see a backorder notice with a "NO ETA" on the due date, it kinda scares me...

Yes I know what you mean about "ETA".

I couldn't find anything about shipping, do you know?

jack19512
11-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Is that small rifle or small pistol primers? I need to know because I have been using the small pistol primers in my .454 Casull. Or can you use both/either for the .454 ? :?

ole 5 hole group
11-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes I know what you mean about "ETA".

I couldn't find anything about shipping, do you know?

The price you see on their website is the total price to your door - if your order goes over $100.00 they add insurance, which is around $1.50 - their prices seem better now?

ole 5 hole group
11-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Is that small rifle or small pistol primers? I need to know because I have been using the small pistol primers in my .454 Casull. Or can you use both/either for the .454 ? :?

That cartridge calls for the small rifle primer. The high pressure in the 454 could result in a pierced primer using the small pistol primer. I would stick with the small rifle primer for the 454 case. You could cut down 460 Smith brass and use large pistol primers.

S.R.Custom
11-20-2009, 04:36 AM

Both/either... sort of.

Physically, the small rifle & small pistol primers are the same size. Most loading data I've seen for full power Casull loads call for the small rifle primers for two reasons: (1) The spooky high operating pressure of the Casull is too much for the pistol primers, and causes them to pierce and/or flatten out excessively. (2) The use of hot, hard-to-light ball powders like 296/110 require the increased brisance of the rifle primers for consistent ignition.

On the other hand, if you're a fan of 'reduced' loadings in the Casull (less than 35KPSI) and don't use the hot ball powders like 296, small pistol magnum primers will suit just fine. You really shouldn't use regular small pistol primers in the Casull for any kind of load; they're just too light for the volume of the Casull round.

jack19512
11-20-2009, 07:12 AM
You could cut down 460 Smith brass and use large pistol primers.

I have been thinking about that also. A while back 44man posted something about this and I had intended to pm him because I had forgot what caliber to use. That is if there is really something to be gained by using the 460 brass other then the ability to use the large pistol primers.

jack19512
11-20-2009, 07:16 AM
On the other hand, if you're a fan of 'reduced' loadings in the Casull (less than 35KPSI) and don't use the hot ball powders like 296, small pistol magnum primers will suit just fine.

Thanks to you and ole 5 hole group for the reply's. I should have said I use the small pistol magnum primers and 4227 powder in my 454 Casull. I have only shot my cast so far, no full power loads yet.

ole 5 hole group
11-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I have been thinking about that also. A while back 44man posted something about this and I had intended to pm him because I had forgot what caliber to use. That is if there is really something to be gained by using the 460 brass other then the ability to use the large pistol primers.

Everyone I personally know that shoot the 454 Casull have accuracy problems - I suppose some, if not most, of the problem could be recoil related but I never did like the idea of using small rifle primers in a pistol cartridge. I never thought about owning a 454 until the 460 came out. Not wanting to be the guinea pig I waited and read articles and one was by 44Man, that the 460 case was being experimented with and was producing pretty good results when cut down for the 454. I then purchased a 454 - I've never used the Casull case, so I can't compare, but right now I’m getting right at 1" groups at 25 yards half the time and the remainder of the time its 1.5" or smaller and between 4 to 6 inch groups at 50 yards half the time using iron sights and the remaining time I can shoot some real dozes that open up to a foot or so at 50 yards resting my wrists on a bag from a solid bench. I can hit a 5” circle at 100 yards every now and then but to shoot a good/respectable 5 or 10 shot group at that range with iron sights – I haven’t been able to do it and even in my prime, I couldn’t shoot a small group at 100 yards. Every now and then I would surprise myself and put a couple into my intended target but scattered the rest pretty badly to be called a “group”. My initial 454 load that shot pretty good was 25 grains of N110 (Vihtavuori) behind a 335 grain hardcast LBT at 1,482fps using the Winchester Large Pistol Primer. My next load that I haven’t chronographed yet, which is the best, so far, is 26 grains of N110. Recoil is fairly mild but I shoot a few heavy loads from the 50 JRH, Smith and Linebaugh revolvers, so your felt pain index may vary.

Changeling
11-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Starline Brass:

45 LC uses "Large pistol" primers.

454 uses "Small rifle" primers

Hardcast416taylor
11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Just before all my cancer and heart problems started back in the fall of `07 I was starting to experment with cutting down .454 brass to use in my .45 LC. I was trying to get better performance out of my .45 Ruger Blackhawaks with a stronger case. The medical problems put a halt to my experments before I could start firing tests. Now its getting to be nasty cold weather so the trying stage is off till warmer weather.Robert

jack19512
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Everyone I personally know that shoot the 454 Casull have accuracy problems.

For me my Ruger SRH 454 is by far my best shooting revolver. Although at 50 yards some may laugh at my groups I am pleased. I know that some of the problem is me and some of the problem lies with my boolits and lube probably. But I would not hesitate to take a deer from 50 yards or so.

I am in the early stages of working up my load for this revolver so I am quite confident things will get even better. If I knew the 460 brass would help me in the accuracy dept I would try it. The 44 mag is where I seem to struggle badly. I do very well with my Marlin 1894 44 mag but do poorly with the revolver.

jack19512
11-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Changeling

I apologize for hijacking your thread. It wasn't my intention. I shoot the 45 LC and the 454 Casull and if it were me I would stick with the 45 LC brass and the large pistol primers. I'm not saying anything negative about Starline brass but I really haven't had any trouble with any of the brass I have used.

ole 5 hole group
11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't think the 454 case is any stronger than the 45 Colt brass - Linebaugh loaded the 45Colt to 50,000+psi in his special 5-shot cylinders with no ill effect in the blackhawk.

Changeling
11-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Just before all my cancer and heart problems started back in the fall of `07 I was starting to experment with cutting down .454 brass to use in my .45 LC. I was trying to get better performance out of my .45 Ruger Blackhawaks with a stronger case. The medical problems put a halt to my experments before I could start firing tests. Now its getting to be nasty cold weather so the trying stage is off till warmer weather.Robert

Hardcast I am sure sorry to hear you have that ****, it's got to be the worst disease going. One of my best friends, maybe the best, has it! She is extremely intelligent and a wonderful lady and is handling it well and appears is going to beat that dam disease. If I could offer one bit of advise it would be to never give up and KEEP a positive attitude that is one of the most important things concerning getting a recovery. Also don't hesitate to question your doctor about everything they do are prescribe, it sure doesn't hurt to keep them on there toes when it's your life!

Pm me where you live if you don't mind.