PDA

View Full Version : My M1 Garand

Buckshot
11-18-2009, 04:54 AM
http://www.fototime.com/C4E99F70D3B92BD/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/823C0DBB74AFFF5/standard.jpg

Sometime back in the early 90's there was a huge influx of Garands from Korea (?) IIRC. SKS's were also somewhat of a glut on the market at the time. I remember a couple of the big LA gunshows where Turner's Outdoorsman (a local shooting and fishing store) had a big setup at the end of one of the buildings. They had stacks of boxes of SKS, M1 Carbines and M1 Garands shoulder high, and the crowds around them looked like the trading floor of the NYSE. They were selling 'shooter grade' Garands for $250 that were guranteed to shoot, and that was it. This was before California included mil-surp C&R's in the 10 day wait.

http://www.fototime.com/FED85F59B5C8BC0/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/7D555CD4F32E5B1/standard.jpg

I didn't want to buy one from Turners. J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ had an add in the Shotgun News and they too had the 'Shooter Grade' rifles, but they also much better rifles and they'd hand pick one for you for an extra charge, just ask for Dave. Having a 01 FFL I called them up and asked for Dave. The first thing Dave asked was if I was a collector? I said no, I was a shooter. What I wanted was one in excellent condition for shooting. He asked about matching parts. Again I said I didn't care other then being in great mechanical condition.

http://www.fototime.com/1D9461136205CC9/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/A73E1227E6D41A8/standard.jpg

I paid $450 for it in late 1993, and when it arrived it was UGLYYYYYYYY !!!!!!!! Well the stock was ugly. More like putrid, really. The buttstock was a real beat *** Birch, Beech, or some other hardwood that looked to have been soaked in old drain oil, with a big number 14 painted on the right side of the butt. The top handguard was old walnut that had been 'boned' to the point of looking like plastic. The front handguard was a brand new (apparently) piece of unsanded fuzzy Birch or Beech that looked like it'd just been pulled from a duplicater. I simply HAD to shoot it, but was so embarrassed to be seen with it I was going to put a bag around it!

http://www.fototime.com/5B0B7223412672F/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/479603113BC0E62/standard.jpg

However, shoot it I did and without a bag. The only 30-06 I had was hunting loads for my M77 Ruger and I wasn't going to fiddle with cast as I didn't have the time right then so I stopped at K Mart and picked up 2 boxes of R-P 150gr SP C-L's. Danged if it didn't shoot darn well. I'm also happy to report that no one made any disparaging remarks about my stepchild of a Garand.

http://www.fototime.com/0FB381C79CB2E1A/standard.jpg

You would NOT believe the rapidity with which I phoned GPC and ordered a set of surplus Springfield Garand wood! At that time surplus powder was easily obtainable and I had a couple jugs of WC852 on hand so I called up Midway (we didn't have a computer then, but I don't think Midway had a website either) and ordered 500 Rem 165gr PSP C-L bullets. I didn't have to worry about brass, and that was a fact. All these Garands suddenly around, and it seemed everyone who had one would stop at Turners and pick up 4-5 boxes of PMC milspec ball, which was about the cheapest around.

I swear the stuff was drifted up around the benches like snow, and Kenny the range master would scoop it up with a square nosed shovel. I had bags and boxes of the stuff. When we moved to town in 2000 I went through it all and tossed all the stuff with crimped primers. I worked up a good load with those 165gr Rem's and 57.0grs of WC852 for 2620 fps. Groups at 100 yards were very consistent at 2" off the bench. Groups at 50 yards were easily an inch for 5 rounds.

I was loading up those 500 bullets one evening on my Dillon 450 and Donna came in. When she saw all those 30-06 rounds she wanted to know if there was a riot going on somewhere she hadn't heard about. One of the regular guys at the range was really into Garands and I mentioned I had one. He said if I'd bring it the next Tuesday he'd check it out for me. So I found out it had a barrel that guaged as close to unfired as possible, and that the barrel had been made or put on in 1957. I don't remember which now. Oh yeah he said it had 'Fat wood', ha.

..............Buckshot

EMC45
11-18-2009, 06:52 AM
NICE Garand Buckshot!!!

WILCO
11-18-2009, 09:14 AM
NICE Garand Buckshot!!!

Indeed!!

BarryinIN
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Maybe it had ugly wood once, but it looks nice now!

I must have looked at hundreds of those Garands that came back from Korea, and don't recall a single one with wood I would deem any better than "ugly". The barreled actions were in all conditions, but the wood was nasty on every single one of them.
It almost looked like the stocks were seperated from the rifles and stored outside for 40 years. The worse ones must have been stored on a road and driven over.

The Carbines were the same way. Many of those had new wood, but it wasn't exactly pretty, either.

But, like you did, I managed to make up a few rifles from all of it that shot OK and didn't look too bad either. It makes me wonder where all the crummier looking guns and parts ended up- all those that were leftover from the rebuilds that were done. I'm sure a lot of metal parts got re-parked and sold at gunshows, but I imagine the wood is long gone.

zomby woof
11-18-2009, 06:14 PM
I love the M1.

eka
11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Rick, you always tell great stories and have awesome pics. A nice collection of fine old guns you have for sure.

Keith

Buckshot
11-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Rick, you always tell great stories and have awesome pics. A nice collection of fine old guns you have for sure.

Keith

.............Thanks. I have a few rifles, and I thought pictures and recording serial numbers after all these years might not be a bad idea.

.............Buckshot

NickSS
11-19-2009, 06:43 AM
I have one that I shoot and several that I collect. My shooter I got from the CMP three years ago. It was a field grade Greek return that they were selling at the time. I mostly got it for the parts and action as I have a new barrel for it but it shoot so good when I tried it that I have just cleaned up the stock some and removed a lot of dents and dings in the process. It still looks like it went through three wars but much improved over what it looked like when I got it. I plan to shoot it till the bore goes south then put the new barrel and a new stock I have on it. That is for the future though if I live long enough.

madsenshooter
11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Not only was it ugly, but it was so worn the receiver hung over the rear. But what the heck, it only cost me $185 and Fajens was still in business. They discontinued this pattern shortly after I got mine, and it wasn't long after that, they went under. I never have gotten around to gauging it, I only know it's an SA63 barrel, and when I first got it it sure looked new to me. Had a NM op rod on it too. I'm fairly sure it was rebuilt when that 63 barrel was put on, then stored away at Anniston until I got it in the late 80's. I'd guess it still has <2000 rounds through it. Mom needed some money once, and I just recently rescued it after it spent 7 years in the pawn shop! With the sort of interest they charge, she no doubt paid for it several times over, but she knew it was dear to me and made that monthly payment all those years!

Hip's Ax
11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Agreed on Rick's posts, I always enjoy his stories and pics as well.

I've been semi-recording serial numbers, I need to get busy and finish that database. I also need to take pictures as well.

I have an M1 national match project about to start. Should have started a few weeks ago but Krieger had an oopsie with my barrel, I just got the correct stainless heavy match barrel yesterday. I sprung for a Dean's Gun Restorations laminate stock in Desert Sunset, it was expensive but it is Lovely!!

WineMan
11-20-2009, 05:36 PM
My CMP is a 5.7 SA Rack Grade. Out of the box I had that pit of the stomach feeling, I knew it would be rough but whoa.

There was the dark used motor oil stock, more dings than smooth wood, the metal was in good shape except for the chipped paint on the gas cylinder and a massive ding on the port side of the crown. The GS was pretty loose but tightened up by peening the splines on the barrel. It dry functioned well and nothing was dragging in the op-rod test.

Well I did get a Rack Grade so I have to live with it. I greased it up and took it out to the range and with the HXP surplus this sucker really shoots! The trigger is very crisp and right at four pounds. I have not shot any cast in it yet but will work on that during the winter.

I shot it at a couple of JC Garand matches and there sure are some pretty rifles there but my ugly duckling took second place in the as issued group in September. I think I will leave it as is.

Wineman

Buckshot
11-23-2009, 04:02 AM

I shot it at a couple of JC Garand matches and there sure are some pretty rifles there but my ugly duckling took second place in the as issued group in September. I think I will leave it as is.

Wineman

..............If I'm not badly mistaken, I do beleieve that's what counts :-)

.............Buckshot

BIG GUN
11-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Not only was it ugly, but it was so worn the receiver hung over the rear. But what the heck, it only cost me $185 and Fajens was still in business. They discontinued this pattern shortly after I got mine, and it wasn't long after that, they went under. I never have gotten around to gauging it, I only know it's an SA63 barrel, and when I first got it it sure looked new to me. Had a NM op rod on it too. I'm fairly sure it was rebuilt when that 63 barrel was put on, then stored away at Anniston until I got it in the late 80's. I'd guess it still has <2000 rounds through it. Mom needed some money once, and I just recently rescued it after it spent 7 years in the pawn shop! With the sort of interest they charge, she no doubt paid for it several times over, but she knew it was dear to me and made that monthly payment all those years!
Midway now sells that stock. I have one on my Garand along with a new Sarco barrel and National match sights. I shot a 10 round 300yd. 4" group last weekend with a handload of 51G IMR4064 over a Win 147G fmj boolit.
Only problem is that it shoots 8" high at the lowest setting at that range.