PDA

View Full Version : Bisley Vaquero vs. Standard Vaquero for Cowboy Action

happy7
11-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Any experienced Cowboy Action Shooters around? I need some advice. I'm trying to get set up for Cowboy Action shooting. I have tried it once but it is so darned expensive to get outfitted for it, but I am getting there. I decided on Vaquero handguns and finally bought the first one off gunbroker. It came today and boy was I surprised when I hefted a Bisley out of the box. The picture on the auction was of a standard model. Question: Which is better for CAS? Should I send it back or just keep it? I hope this is not one of those Dillon vs. Hornady questions that gets everyone excited, but I really have no idea. I figure the Ruger Old Army I have is similar to a vaquero frame and between it and a Bisley, neither really seems to feel faster to me, but then I am new to the sport and don't have the muscle memory one way or the other.

Firebricker
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
happy, I think that just comes down to personal preferance. Probably be best to go to a gun shop with both and check them out side by side. FB

MT Gianni
11-18-2009, 10:36 AM
If you are really unhappy, several here would swap you their standard grips for that bisley.

Charlie Sometimes
11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
The Bisley Vaquero will give you more control of recoil over the plow handle grip of the standard Vaquero- and therefore quicker recovery and alignment.

Have you shot the "Old Model" Vaquero or the newer small grip on the standard model?
Depending on your hand size that might make a difference too.

You mentioned "heft' of the revolver- what caliber?
Smaller calibers have more metal than the 45, and longer barrels add "heft" too.
Translating into less jump, and quicker recovery.

All of the Rugers will be heaver than Colts or those copies, but will be more durable under the punishment of heavy use you can get in competion shooting.

Personally, I'd favor the Bisley, no matter what load you will be shooting.

happy7
11-18-2009, 11:14 AM
It is a 44 magnum. I got that caliber, because that is what my rifle is, but i have springfield's 160 grain design mold that I plan to shoot out of it with a nominal charge of trail boss. I am half temped to keep the Bisley since it is supposed to handle 44 magnum level recoil better, but then the whole purpose of getting the guns is Cowboy Action Shooting. The fact that it is a 44 mag is just incidental.

My main thinking is, I guess, that I noticed the position of the hammer is different and does that make cocking it a slower thing when one is trying to discharge 5 shots as fast as possible?

My only time I shot Cowboy action so far, I took what I had, which is an Uberti Schofield and an Old Army. I noticed that the Old Army was much faster to shoot, despite my emotional attachment to the Schofield. I have shot balckhawks at the range, which I think is the same as the vaquero, correct? But I wasn't really shooting them for speed.

44man
11-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Your choice is OK and the only thing left is PRACTICE. You will most likely be shooting powder puff loads anyway so recoil is no consideration. If the gun feels good, go for it.

lathesmith
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
The advantage to the Bisley grip is recoil control, and like 44man says, with the cream puff loads of CAS that isn't an issue here, so you should go with what you like best and PRACTICE with that.

Another often-overlooked advantage of the Rugers over the 1873 Colt and its clones is that the Rugers use coil springs vs the flat springs of the 1873's; this makes them virtually indistructable for most uses. Truth be told, replacing a flat spring now and then isn't a big deal for most folks, but it is worth mentioning.

lathesmith

S.R.Custom
11-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm curious... what was the auction number?

For what it's worth, there is not a significant difference in the weight of a standard vaquero vs. a Bisley. A couple of ounces, maybe.

Dframe
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
STRICTLY a personal preference issue. Either gun will serve you well.

August
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Around here, the shooters that use a Bisley are only those who shoot Gunfighter or Duelist. Particularly, the Gunfighters seem to benefit from the Bisley hammer.

Know that SASS is at this very moment considering a rule change to allow Bisley hammers on other frames. So, the advantage may be moot after this year's Territorial Governor's meeting.

I have a pair of OMVs in .44 mag and never use them anymore. The new model Vaquero is so superior to the old one, that once I got my 357 NMVs, I never went back.

I would strongly recommend you return the Bisley and get a pair of NMVs in 38/357. If you stick with the sport, that's what you'll end up with. If you abandon the sport, the NMVs in 357 will have the best residual value.